PDA

View Full Version : First hand of tourney w/ suited ace

10-21-2005, 05:46 PM
No reads whatsoever, comments appreciated...
Outcome and results later...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t20 (should I have raised here, usually first few levels til I know how some of the people play, I like to limp with good drawing hands and small pairs and see flops cheaply), <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t100</font>, BB calls t80, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls t80.

Flop: (t320) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks. (should I have checked here? I liked the idea of a free card at this point)

Turn: (t320) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t120</font>, Hero ?

Should I call here, or should I go ahead and get out of the way with the raising and only 1 card to come?

XXXNoahXXX
10-21-2005, 05:53 PM
fold preflop.

why is the SB betting 40 chips into a 300+ chip pot. i dont respect his bet or the raise. the decision now is calling 120 chips into a pot that is about 450 chips. First hand is tough since u don't know if original turn bettor will come over the top. how much are you willing to call if an ace falls? the flush would be nice,but you gotta make sure you're priced in. I think i call here because i can see either one of these players having the flush draw as well and you'll get paid when you full push the river.

10-21-2005, 05:54 PM
I wasn't liking an ace on the river in that situation, I wanted a flush card only, and preferably one that don't pair the board. Wouldn't mind a jack either...

REL18
10-21-2005, 05:57 PM
depends on how well u play with large stacked compared to table if u dont take advantage with a large stack and still play tight there is no need to do this but me personally id probably call even though u should probably pot bet raise

betgo
10-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Preflop, you definately don't want to raise. You only raise with this hand when you have a chance to steal the blinds. Limp, or fold if you think the pot will be raised.

I might have folded to the preflop raise. You need very deep money or chances to steal the pot the play this hand. You do have position and a multiway pot.

I would bet the flop, you may be the favorite here and you have position. You could even push. There is 300 in the pot and you have 1400.

Definately call on the turn and hope SB doesn't put in a big reraise. The bets are not big in relation to the pot. Someone may be drawing to a lower flush, so you could double up. The J and A are also possible outs.

REL18
10-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Hmm i was assuming here that he doesnt have the king and u could push him off second pair an ace hits i was assuming u think your good considering he probably has second pair or top pair and against second and top u still ahve 3 aces 9 clubs when u bet pot u know exactly were u stand here i think and u can know extract a large amount of chips form him or know about as much as you can extract

betgo
10-21-2005, 06:08 PM
On the flop, this should be played aggressively.

On the turn, there is a KQT board and a tiny bet and raise. Probably someone has something. It's possible they don't have much and you could take a bet with a semibluff, but I wouldn't bet on it. Best to call and hope SB doesn't force you out of the hand.

10-21-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop, you definately don't want to raise. You only raise with this hand when you have a chance to steal the blinds. Limp, or fold if you think the pot will be raised.

-- OK, I can understand limping, but what makes you think the pot will be raised? First hand, don't know any player tendencies.

I might have folded to the preflop raise. You need very deep money or chances to steal the pot the play this hand. You do have position and a multiway pot.

-- 75bb isn't deep money?

I would bet the flop, you may be the favorite here and you have position. You could even push. There is 300 in the pot and you have 1400.

-- Why should I bet here? To stop gutshots from seeing free cards? I'm really only looking for a flush card, so giving away a free card isn't going to change my mind if a flush card hits. Also, why would I want to go all in here? I have 1400 behind, and it's only a 300 pot. If I am behind, I lose everything if a flush card or possibly an ace hits (although that isn't a given)

Definately call on the turn and hope SB doesn't put in a big reraise. The bets are not big in relation to the pot. Someone may be drawing to a lower flush, so you could double up. The J and A are also possible outs.

Possibly, but I really don't trust an ace there...

[/ QUOTE ]

10-21-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
depends on how well u play with large stacked compared to table if u dont take advantage with a large stack and still play tight there is no need to do this but me personally id probably call even though u should probably pot bet raise

[/ QUOTE ]

I play well with both a large stack and a short stack.

Why potbet there though? If I am behind, I am committing myself to a draw with 1 card to come (behind to AT, AK, JA, TT, 22, QQ, 9J(not likely but anything is possible with no reads), or maybe even KK, but I am not sure about that) What hand would I be ahead of here besides a total bluff? And if I am behind, I probably at best have a 1 in 3 chance of winning this. Can you explain why I should bet the pot there, I am not understanding that...

betgo
10-21-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-- OK, I can understand limping, but what makes you think the pot will be raised? First hand, don't know any player tendencies.

-- 75bb isn't deep money?

-- Why should I bet here? To stop gutshots from seeing free cards? I'm really only looking for a flush card, so giving away a free card isn't going to change my mind if a flush card hits. Also, why would I want to go all in here? I have 1400 behind, and it's only a 300 pot. If I am behind, I lose everything if a flush card or possibly an ace hits (although that isn't a given)

Possibly, but I really don't trust an ace there...

[/ QUOTE ]

You might expect a raise because it is the first hand of the tournament and there tends to be loose action.

You have 75xBB, but once the pot is raised, you put in 1/15th of your stack with a weak speculative hand.

Bet the flop the take down the pot. No one else seems interested.

I might just push and hope no one is slow playing a set. If someone calls with a pair, you are about even with pot odds.

If you bet 200 and are called, you may get a free card on the turn. You could take it, or try again to take the pot on the turn.

10-21-2005, 06:25 PM
This is how it played out

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t20, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t100</font>, BB calls t80, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls t80.

Flop: (t320) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t320) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t120</font>, Hero calls t120, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t680</font>, Hero folds, SB calls t280.

River: (t1800) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t340</font>, SB calls t340.

Final Pot: t2480

BB had KK, SB had AJs