PDA

View Full Version : Does a large bet on a low flop mean AK?

betgo
10-21-2005, 05:12 PM
I have T5000 in a supersatellite in 9th place with 17 remaining for 13 seats. Blinds 100/200/25. I haven't played a hand in 40 minutes. I raise UTG to 600 with JJ. CO calls.

Flop comes 734,s. I bet 1500 into 1700 pot. CO raises allin (has me covered). I call. CO shows 55. I make a set and CO misses his gutshot and backdoor.

CO types, "I put you on AK." Obviously, CO made several mistakes on this hand. The "put you on" may be typical wishful thinking. However, I wonder if my large bet may have been interpretted as weakness. Villain assumed I had TT, AQ, or better, and figured I would make a smaller bet with an overpair.

I made a large bet because I thought taking the pot would give me enough chips for a seat. I also didn't like the 2-flush and connecting cards. However, villain obviously didn't understand satellite strategy and may have misinterpreted.

I wonder if a close to pot sized bet by an early position raiser into a low flop would look like AK.

10-21-2005, 05:16 PM
It could.. though my large bets on low flops after EP raise are usually with something like 99-JJ.. where I have an overpair, but it's not a huge overpair and I want to negate the Q or K or A on turn.. usually with AK against one player I'll just bet smaller, like half, because usually the only person who's going to call a pot-sized bet on a low flop has an overpair himself or something else big.

In your case, I don't know how he put you on something so specific, but I guess some people do think AK or AQ or something after EP raise on low flop.

LethalRose
10-21-2005, 05:18 PM
There is absolutely no reason for him to put you on AK, he was simply guessing. Note him a donator and move on.