PDA

View Full Version : A9o in 11 turbo rebuy satellite on Stars

gildwulf
10-21-2005, 04:54 PM
35 left/180, 22 go to the $215 on Sunday.

Blinds are 1500/3000 with 700 antes. I have $11k on the button.

UTG pushes his last 3500. UTG+1 ($30k chipleader, TAG) just calls, folds to me. I have A9o on button and push.

Thoughts?

cferejohn
10-21-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't like it. A TAG player has called. TAG usually means good, and good usually means "not going to fold for 8K more into a pot of ~21K". There are maybe 3 hands you beat (A8/A7/KQ) that I think would make that call UTG+1 as a TAG player, and that's probably generous. Certainly if it was folded to you after the all-in, go ahead and push, but against the player you describe, I think you are most probably behind.

betgo
10-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Terrible satellite strategy. You may have enough to fold into a seat. You don't need to win a big pot. If you want more chips, open push with 2 big stacks in the blinds and try to steal the blinds.

Also, in general A9o is an OK hand to open raise with in late position, but you generally want to fold with others in the pot. You are likely to be either dominated or slightly ahead.

gildwulf
10-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Yea, this was my first satellite. As far as folding into the money though, with antes I will barely survive one more orbit.

TripleQ
10-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Easy fold. Wait for the next time it's folded to you and push any 2.

gildwulf
10-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Yea, this was my big mistake of the tourney...thanks for the input.

betgo
10-21-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, this was my first satellite. As far as folding into the money though, with antes I will barely survive one more orbit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play in those and you have close to the number of chips you need. You may get a pass in the blinds, you may be able to fold the blinds and limp into a seat with a tiny stack, and you may pick up a big hand you can push with. At worst, you probably can play a heads up hand in the blinds with about a 40% chance of surviving.

If you want to lock a seat, look for a good blind stealing opportunity. No need to get into a 3-way battle. Seems like you can't fold A9o. Better to steal later with a random hand if necessary. The situation is more important than your cards.