PDA

View Full Version : Need some thoughts, AA monotone, tricky HU play

10-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Villain is young asian TAG (more aggro than norm), earlier in session he opened in the hijack with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif, blinds called, flop K /images/graemlins/heart.gif x /images/graemlins/club.gify /images/graemlins/club.gif check to asian who bets, SB check raises, bb folds asian calls. Turn is z /images/graemlins/club.gif, SB bets, asian calls. River: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif, sb checks, asian bets and is called, asian wins.

Onto the hand, I open UTG+1 with red AA, folded to SB who is young asian, he calls, bb calls.

Flop Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets, bb folds, I raise, SB 3-bets, I call.

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Sb bets, Hero?

My image would be very LAG, he knows I can be light preflop, as I've opened a few pots recently with suited 1 gappers in EP and shown them down.

Thoughts on flop/turn play?

Interesting river play to come (if any of you get there).

Thanks,

10-21-2005, 03:10 PM
asd

MNpoker
10-21-2005, 05:11 PM
I'd call that flop and raise any non-spade turn.

Now that spade hit the turn -- yuck. I know in my heart it's wrong but I probably call him down.

10-21-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd call that flop and raise any non-spade turn.

Now that spade hit the turn -- yuck. I know in my heart it's wrong but I probably call him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you go a little more in depth on why you do this instead of capping hte flop, say the 3rd player does not fold, does that change anything?

10-21-2005, 06:17 PM
I called his 3-bet with the intention to raise a non-spade turn.

10-21-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know in my heart it's wrong but I probably call him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to call down at least raise for showdown and give yourself a chance to fold two-pair small spade etc.

elindauer
10-21-2005, 10:15 PM
You don't gain much by raising the flop. You can't make him fold a hand that is going to draw out on you, just call and perhaps raise the turn. You could even wait for the river on this one if you were so inclined.

Given the way you played it... don't call down. If you have enough equity to call, you should raise. Why give him the free 9 outs for half the pot? Very few players will bluff 3-bet in this spot, and if he does, tip your cap and push him the pot.

good luck.
eric

10-21-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't gain much by raising the flop. You can't make him fold a hand that is going to draw out on you, just call and perhaps raise the turn. You could even wait for the river on this one if you were so inclined.

Given the way you played it... don't call down. If you have enough equity to call, you should raise. Why give him the free 9 outs for half the pot? Very few players will bluff 3-bet in this spot, and if he does, tip your cap and push him the pot.

good luck.
eric

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why I would raise the flop. Are you saying that not raising kills action later, and youd rather see the turn, and raise that?

Munkster
10-22-2005, 03:09 AM
This post is hilarious since the young asian is me. I rarely play live since I prefer shorthanded (30/60 @ pp is my usual spot) and it's hard to find a shorthanded table Ontario (I am in waterloo).

I'll reveal my hand in question after you post the turn/river. FWIW, I felt you were reasonable preflop (the table was very passive) and on the weakside postflop (i.e., I felt you respected me enough to make a fold on 4th/5th street). Also I would like to add that I believe there was a cc preflop.

10-22-2005, 03:30 AM
All the matters is when you mess with Mr. Lee, he will take you down. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope to play with you again, nh.

10-22-2005, 04:31 AM
I don't mind capping this flop because I'm confident we have the best hand at this point and we might as well get the money in while we're ahead - although raising the turn may be a better line. Like another poster suggested, I also like a raise on the turn for a free showdown and to perhaps fold out a better hand. Easy fold if you're 3-bet.

mc1023
10-22-2005, 11:51 AM
flop is fine.

if your gonna go to showdown raise the turn/fold to 3bet.

otherwise just fold.

elindauer
10-22-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that not raising kills action later, and youd rather see the turn, and raise that?

[/ QUOTE ]

You got it.

Pog0
10-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Raise a spade river?

elindauer
10-22-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise a spade river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck. Most players will call with any 2 on a flush board hoping to chop. You can take advantage of this by betting and raising weaker than normal flushes, but shouldn't bluff.

my 2 cents.
eric