PDA

View Full Version : KQ - bet fold or check call situation?

POKhER
10-21-2005, 03:07 PM
I SUCK AT INDENTIFYING CHECK/CALL or BET/FOLD situations. Now of course Betfolding costs the same but loses a showdown. Check call can induce a bluff and also gets a showdown....

But deciding what i need to apply at showdowns is tough concept for me to learn. Maybe its not a thing you learn, and very situation specific i assume but surely theres some general "principles" you could dicuss if you were to write a book for example? I have to review river betting in SSH later.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

River: (8.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero....?

BUTTON IS: 42/5.5/2
BB IS: 62/10/1.3

Discussion on this hand, Aswell as links/Discussion on when to value bet Vs check calling will be great

Blunderfull1
10-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Im thinking bet/fold because it seems that one of them has at least a king, which you can beat. They would check if you checked to them though. Even though most of the time with two opponents one of them will have an ace.

deception5
10-21-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm checking and considering folding depending on the action.

10-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I check-call, particularly when you intend to call a bet anyway. I think only a better hand calls a bet (trips, low straight) or raises you here (nut straight, boat), and you may save a bet on the river when a scared J or the 9 checks behind on the river. You also may be able to pick off a bluff from a weak king. I doubt this is a place for a value bet.

There's a good section on river play in TOP, it's worth reading.

kiemo
10-21-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm checking and considering folding depending on the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

If button bets and BB just calls, I call. If BB check raises then I am out.

Stats on villians generally indicate they are any Ace players and I dont think you have to worry about a Jack in either hand as I would like to think if they had a Jack they wouldve popped you earlier.

PokerIsLife
10-21-2005, 04:39 PM
a 9 or J will call for sure, but might check as well because of the coordinated board.

deception5
10-21-2005, 04:43 PM
I would also add that the nice thing here is that the villians can't put us in a tough position here. We can either call one or fold when it's 2 to us. It can never be the case that we'd call one and have it raised behind us.

POKhER
10-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Hmm fair enough,
I bet out(reluctantly) and was raised, so folded. flipped over an ace.

10-21-2005, 09:10 PM
(grunching)

I keep changing my mind. Check/call. You have a hand with lots of showdown value. You will get raised by the straight, and will fold any player who doesn't have a K,Q or A, so why bother. Maybe small pairs will call, but they may bet if you check, esp button.

bozlax
10-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Why'd you leave out check/fold? Cuz dat's wut ah'm tinkin', heah!