PDA

View Full Version : Why did Mazzone leave?

wh1t3bread
10-21-2005, 02:43 PM
I know there are other threads about Mazzone. But I'm just wondering why he left the Braves. New scenery? Money? Not getting along with management?

Maybe someone from Atlanta can fill me in.

I thought he had is pretty good down there and he's been with the Braves for what 14/15 years now?

As a Mets fan I'm liking it, but also very curious.

Soul Daddy
10-21-2005, 02:52 PM
From Rob Neyer's chat yesterday:

"Mazzone is on the record, saying last year that he wanted to end his baseball career as Sam Perlozzo's pitching coach. I think it's really that simple."

JordanIB
10-21-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know there are other threads about Mazzone. But I'm just wondering why he left the Braves. New scenery? Money? Not getting along with management?

Maybe someone from Atlanta can fill me in.

I thought he had is pretty good down there and he's been with the Braves for what 14/15 years now?

As a Mets fan I'm liking it, but also very curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) He grew up in MD.

2) Best buds with Perlozzo. Perlozzo was best man at Mazzone's wedding (or vice-versa).

3) He's paid jack (~200K/year) for how successful he's been. I'm sure Angelos opened up the coffers a bit.

wh1t3bread
10-21-2005, 03:03 PM
I see. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

RacersEdge
10-21-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm hoping it might actually help the Braves - instead of thinking they can get retreads cheap and have Mazzone fix them up - something that may or may not happen (didn't work too well with Kolb last year and he was a decent closer before) - the Braves will spend some cash to add some talent to the mix.