PDA

View Full Version : Anybody still playing WOW?

Blarg
10-21-2005, 02:37 PM
I haven't played since May, but resubscribed last night after a long poker session that left me too drained to get into anything. Downloaded the patch overnight, and fired it up today to take a look at it.

It looked kinda boring. Maybe I'm just getting tired of these kind of games.

Has the game changed much since May? I know they have the battlegrounds out, but don't know what that's about. Anything else interesting as far as gameplay changes go? Is the battlegrounds a success or a bust?

If I play it at all now, it will be just a little here and there. I'm wondering if the game has gotten fun enough to be worth even that much.

4_2_it
10-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I gave up on it a while ago. CIV 4, which is supposed to have an excellent multi-player format, ships next Tuesday.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 02:53 PM
The problem I have with the Civ games is that they can take weeks to play a single game, and you can find out on hour 48 of a game that you made a critical mistake back in hour 12 that you can't get out of. That's just cruel.

swede123
10-21-2005, 02:54 PM
I think you just suck at Civ games, Blarg. No offense.

Swede

Blarg
10-21-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm sure I do, but that doesn't mean they don't take a hell of a long time. It doesn't seem to mean that mistakes early don't turn into disasters later that you only discover after spending an ungodly amount of time developing the game.

Paluka
10-21-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I do, but that doesn't mean they don't take a hell of a long time. It doesn't seem to mean that mistakes early don't turn into disasters later that you only discover after spending an ungodly amount of time developing the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the problem. Isn't the game supposed to be about playing a long game, looking back on your mistakes, and then learning from them?

Danenania
10-21-2005, 03:06 PM
I played it for awhile up to about 30 then stopped. Just found the challenges very lackluster and the content spoonfed. Grouping aspects of the game at least at lower levels also left me cold. Felt alone in the game world when RL friends weren't on-line. Soloing's too easy I suppose. Class distinctions are bland and there is little interdependency. End result is boredom and feeling like I'm on a guided levelling treadmill versus playing a game. Far inferior to early EQ imo, which is where I started with mmorpg's. Obviously the graphics were nice though and they added some neat innovations to the genre.

My plan is to hopefully channel my gaming itch into longer poker sessions until Vanguard SOH (http://www.vanguardsoh.com/) comes out next spring/summer. Looks like the only thing on the horizon that is likely to be worth the kind of time investment these games ask of their players.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the problem. Isn't the game supposed to be about playing a long game, looking back on your mistakes, and then learning from them?

[/ QUOTE ]

When it takes as long as Civ does, it's more grueling than your average game you make a mistake in and start over. The tremendous amount of time investment makes mistakes extraordinarily punishing, sometimes even small ones. It doesn't feel anywhere near as bad to make a mistake in any other game I can think of.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 03:20 PM
For all its faults, EQ spoiled me too. The level of organization and competence required to do even little things meant the lunatics weren't running the asylum. When I group in WoW it can be very frustrating, because the players are just so disorganized and impulsive. I'm always waiting for yet another dude to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and ruin the experience of the whole party.

I'm kind of hoping people have started being a spaz less now that I've been away from the game for half a year, but I doubt it.

Some noodling around soloing seems like it might work after my brain is fried from poker. But then again, there are probably much better games out there for that, too. A MMORPG session always seems to involve 20 minutes of travel each way.

I think I need a really good RTS. I saw some very critical posts on Age of Empires III, which is a real disappointment. I need some sort of strategy game I think.

Reqtech
10-21-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think I need a really good RTS. I saw some very critical posts on Age of Empires III, which is a real disappointment. I need some sort of strategy game I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little old, but I have really enjoyed Rise of Nations. Fun game in the AOE mold.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I heard it's pretty good. Does it have many weaknesses? Is there much of an online community for it?

Reqtech
10-21-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard it's pretty good. Does it have many weaknesses? Is there much of an online community for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for playing online, since I never have.

The only weakness that I can think of is that it can easily turn into a race for technology (but isn't the case for most RTSs?). Once you get Stealth Bombers, it's pretty much game over.

My typical game is to play against 7 cpu opponents on level Easy (2nd easiest) and race myself to beat them in the fastest time. Takes around 45 minutes, and is a nice diversion from a stressful day /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
10-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Wow you can beat 7 at once? That sounds like a way of saying that the AI is really horrible?

Reqtech
10-21-2005, 03:46 PM
On the second easiest setting, yes, it is. There are five settings, and it definitely gets tougher on the next level.

When I play games like that, it's cuz I want to kick some CPU ass, not cuz I want a challenge.

toss
10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Starcraft is the only RTS you'll need. None of that BGH crap too.

stabn
10-21-2005, 03:58 PM
I got a new mask /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/stabn/trollmask.jpg

Stellastarr
10-21-2005, 04:04 PM
lol, that mask is ugly. I quit playing WOW a few months ago. It just got too boring and finding groups was a pain in the ass, not to mention going into MC or any instance for 3+ hours and leaving with nothing to show for it.

stabn
10-21-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol, that mask is ugly. I quit playing WOW a few months ago. It just got too boring and finding groups was a pain in the ass, not to mention going into MC or any instance for 3+ hours and leaving with nothing to show for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a much different game with a good guild but i'm very close to running out of things to do. It was pretty boring the last couple of months with MC on farm status (rag first try kills every time). I've completed my cenarion set, have a SoD, etc. We've started doing the newish instance after MC though (BWL) which has a lot of different style fights from the MC fights. I'm still slowly starting to play less and less though and i expect to quit sometime next month.

And yah, the mask is ugly. Not as bad as a gnome mask on a tauren though.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 04:16 PM
If there was a picture there I can't see it. I have most image sites blocked so only see at most half the pics people put up. And I have avatars turned off.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 04:22 PM
I just went for a read at different video game sellers, and realized there was nothing coming out or around that looked like it would give me that kind of joy of discovery that I felt when I first got Warcraft 2 or Age of Empires 2, or HOMM 2, where almost every little thing seemed really fun or cool -- from great units to cool sound, to a great world where even an ogre mumbling while he chopped down a tree could be funny and cool.

I need a game that creates an interesting game world. Now I'm wondering if I should try Civ 4. At least it will be different from anything I've played in a long time. I played Civ 2, but not Civ 3. I wonder if Civ 4 will drag down my machine like Civ 2 did back in the day. That game was a real resource hog. But at least the Civ games by nature are something that can stimulate your mind.

astroglide
10-21-2005, 04:31 PM
www.boardgamegeek.com (http://www.boardgamegeek.com)

i can give you about 8000 suggestions, and just to give an example, civilization was a board game first. a lot of empire/economic pc games play out strikingly similar to board games. for example, railroad tycoon. tons of it could be contrasted with the game 'age of steam', which has just been modestly adapted to become 'railroad tycoon: the board game' by eagle games. age of steam drew heavily from the 18XX railroad games, which also predate the railroad tycoon video game.

10-21-2005, 04:31 PM
AOE III just came out also. I need a new computer before I can run either this or Civ IV.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm thinking of something to play on the puter though, Astro, when I'm bleary and at weird hours, not something you have to plan ahead and gather a group for. I don't know anybody who plays board games anyway. Thanks though.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 04:38 PM
I've got an ATI 9800 Pro 128 meg card and an Athlon XP 3000, and I'm thinking that's getting on the low end of things for top-end games. And from what I remember of Civ 2, it was rough on good computers at the time. I've seen repeated reviews mentioning AOE 3 slowing down, too.

stabn
[ QUOTE ]
If there was a picture there I can't see it. I have most image sites blocked so only see at most half the pics people put up. And I have avatars turned off.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a photobucket picture.

astroglide
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anybody who plays board games anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

so you take your existing friends and get them to start. i've done it with tons of people.

railroad tycoon might be interesting to you, i'd suggest downloading the demo.

stabn
10-21-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've got an ATI 9800 Pro 128 meg card and an Athlon XP 3000, and I'm thinking that's getting on the low end of things for top-end games. And from what I remember of Civ 2, it was rough on good computers at the time. I've seen repeated reviews mentioning AOE 3 slowing down, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW my friends/aoe clan mates are saying good things about age of empires III at this point. I haven't bought it yet personally and didn't like the demo but it's sounding pretty good. The gamerankings rating is pretty decent as well:

url (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/925735.asp)

I don't know how quickly it will run on your system though. I assume probably ok until you break the ~100 unit mark.

siccjay
10-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Anyone gonna try City of Villians? I thought about it. I haven't been addicted to an MMORPG in 4 or 5 years.

Reqtech
10-21-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone gonna try City of Villians? I thought about it. I haven't been addicted to an MMORPG in 4 or 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMORPGs are the devil.

/former DAoC addict

Danenania
10-21-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad all these ones out now are like methadone. Haven't had much fun in a mmorpg since pre-Luclin EQ. Not that I've tried many. Lineage 2 very briefly and WoW for a bit longer. Both poor substitutes /images/graemlins/mad.gif. From the reviews and such that I read no others look worthwhile either. At least until Vanguard. Man I wish they hadn't destroyed the fun of EQ so thoroughly.

kiemo
10-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Gave up on my WOW account. Mostly becuase I simply dont have the time to develop lasting in game friendships and I got no real life friends who play with any consistancy. Due to this I was forced into pickup group situations every time I played, but with a typical play session lasting less then 90 minutes, there simply arent any group things to do, especially with a level 60 unguilded rogue!

Did send a friend 1300 gold though before I cancelled, which he probably never got becuase he hardly ever logged in.

stabn
10-21-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gave up on my WOW account. Mostly becuase I simply dont have the time to develop lasting in game friendships and I got no real life friends who play with any consistancy. Due to this I was forced into pickup group situations every time I played, but with a typical play session lasting less then 90 minutes, there simply arent any group things to do, especially with a level 60 unguilded rogue!

Did send a friend 1300 gold though before I cancelled, which he probably never got becuase he hardly ever logged in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being an unguilded rogue is really shitty. Especially if you weren't on a PVP server. Overpopulation of rogues made level 60+ pretty sucky unless you were in a fairly mature guild. That's at least half of why i started my druid.

TheGame1020
10-21-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little old, but I have really enjoyed Rise of Nations. Fun game in the AOE mold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The game is quite good actually. The graphics and gameplay are absolutely amazing.

Popinjay
10-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Ever played DotA? It's kind of like WoW but it's 15min-1hr games where you build up a hero from lvl 1 then fight against others. It's a team game 5v5 and very fun. You have to have Warcraft 3 and the expansion pack (Frozen Throne). The site is here: www.dota-allstars.com (http://www.dota-allstars.com)

Blarg
10-21-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't have Frozen Throne, but thanks for the suggestion.

siccjay
10-21-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MMORPGs are the devil.

/former DAoC addict

[/ QUOTE ]

I myself am a recovering UO-a-holic. I still miss pwning n00bs though.

No game will ever match UO's PvP system. This game http://www.darkfallonline.com/ looks like it could be close. I am definitely trying it.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The game is quite good actually. The graphics and gameplay are absolutely amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was reading some reviews on this after seeing the suggestion, and the ones I bumped into seemed kind of strange -- some said all the battles were the same, and others gave it huge raves. I didn't know what to think.

stabn
10-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Apparently they have just added another race:

http://patchtimer.org/images/charscreen.jpg

w_alloy
10-21-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

MMORPGs are the devil.

/former DAoC addict

[/ QUOTE ]

What server?

<---former rr8 mentalist on merlin

Phoenix1010
10-21-2005, 06:10 PM
I won't allow myself to play WOW. I'm the kind of guy they make those "don't let this game ruin your life" disclaimers for. I have been playing some Guild Wars recently though, anyone here play? Sorry if this is a semi hijack Blarg.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 06:21 PM
It's not. We've kind of morphed it into a "So what's good out there now?"

I can be ferociously addicted to pretty much anything I take up, too.

10-21-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MMORPGs are the devil.

/former DAoC addict

[/ QUOTE ]

I myself am a recovering UO-a-holic. I still miss pwning n00bs though.

No game will ever match UO's PvP system. This game http://www.darkfallonline.com/ looks like it could be close. I am definitely trying it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cried when they ruined PvP in UO. What a sad sad time. What was it like 5 years ago now that you could run around PKing everything. Oh those were the days. I RoXXoR j00!

Popinjay
10-21-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not. We've kind of morphed it into a "So what's good out there now?"

I can be ferociously addicted to pretty much anything I take up, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told Resident Evil 4 was the greatest game ever by a friend of mine who I would trust in this subject area (big-time game player).

Reqtech
10-21-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

MMORPGs are the devil.

/former DAoC addict

[/ QUOTE ]

What server?

<---former rr8 mentalist on merlin

[/ QUOTE ]

bezerker on nimue...left right before all of the realm ranks got all heated up.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 07:50 PM
The reviews of Rise of Nations on Gamespot.com are really starting to turn my head around on this game. There's an excellent video tour of it that gives a long look at it, and it looks pretty darn good.

Civ 4 does sound good, but I don't know if I have it in me to play more 40 and 70 hour games. Apparently it's quite possible to play Rise of Nations for just an hour.

ddubois
10-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Sony sent out emails a couple months ago offering free 3 weeks' worth of EQ play to people with closed accounts. I've logged in my two lvl 65 toons, and it's kind of good, and kind of awful. Awful, because it's depressing to see how much the user base has passed me by via mudflation, and how impossible it would be for me to catch up on all that content, all those spells to farm, those AA to earn. I didn't intend to really get back into the game, because MMORPGs require such a ridiculous amount of time investment, and I don't have that kind of time now that I have kids. But nevertheless I compulsively purchased $40 worth of new expansions and $20 worth of EQ-related website premium subscritions, and spending all day at work trying to figure out what trinket to camp instead of reading OOT. I'm wondering why I do this. In fact, I'm wondering why play computer games at all. What's the point point of developing skills in 'New RTS 3.0', or of completeing the storyline of 'New RPG 4.0'? I haven't played [censored] in a couple weeks, but really, it seems stupid to play anything else, because [censored] is the only game where you can make a non-trivial amount of money doing so.

Danenania
10-21-2005, 08:02 PM
I've played Rise of Nations and I enjoyed it for awhile. Went the same as with other RTS for me though--become addicted and play a ton after I first buy it, learn the game, have a ton of fun. Then as I progress I start to recognize the point in the game where the build up and strategizing transitions into the rather tedious endgame where you must simply play out all the combat and hope your earlier estimations were on. After a few full games I start to break off at this transition point once I become pretty certain that I will either definitely win or definitely not win (occasionally you get a gray area game, those are more interesting). And from that point I tire of the entire game fairly quickly as the work/reward ratio gets thrown off and I'm no longer hooked.

This is probably more of an issue that I have with the genre though, not RoN specifically.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Sounds like. I love rubbing someone's face in the mud as I win.

I usually play RTS's by far the most online, rather than stand-alone, though. Playing a computer in general is such a huge step down from playing devious, thinking people that you might as well just be playing an entirely different game.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 08:14 PM
That's a very sensible way to look at it, but more importantly as far as I'm concerned, I agree with it. I'm not willing to invest tremendous amounts of time in a game anymore.

But I wouldn't mind knocking out the occasional half hour, hour, or even two hour session. That leaves MMORPG's pretty much out, and even limits what I can do with my favorite genre, RTS's. The ability to play a whole Rise of Nations game in an hour, though, kind of piqued my interest. That's about the kind of time investment I'm interested in. After playing a session of [cardgame], even if it's late, I usually take a good while to wind down, but don't necessarily want to stay up another hour and a half or two hours for a movie, and have already blown out my concentration from playing [cardgame], so I don't really want to read. And I'm going to sleep soon so I don't want to work out or do anything energetic.

Just something short, sweet, and upbeat is what I'm looking for now.

Danenania
10-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Yeah... I have never been a "powergamer" in any games. When I quit EQ I had one 59, one 52, and a couple other twinks, and I played for like 2 years. I wasn't in any serious guilds. Mostly just had a lot of fun doing dungeon crawls and exploring zones that had fallen by the wayside with groups of 1-5 RL friends who also played.

Something I've always realized, though, is how important it is in these types of games to have "elite" and high level areas and items that require immense amounts of time and effort to access. Because even though it was impossible for me to ever get to any of those things, they acted as a carrot on the stick for my imagination, allowing me to dream that that might be me someday (even though there's no way I'd ever commit that sort of time). It gave a direction to my in-game achievements. I think the main thing that killed EQ was ruining the distinction of "elite" players, zones, and items by dumbing down the game and making it way too easy to reach the top. Once it became no big deal to level to 65 or whatever the cap was in a month and get all the best stuff, it trivialized all my earlier progress and made me think, "why am I playing towards a meaningless goal?" As if it wasn't enough of a time waster already.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 08:29 PM
I found all the flagging and bottlenecking annoying. The game was better as it was originally designed, when bottlenecks didn't substitute for content. In the original and thoughout almost all of Kunark, if you were strong enough to go someplace, go ahead. The restrictions were there because of your level of skill, not because of your guild connections or artificial time sinks. You could go to pretty much anyplace you wanted at any time you wanted, if you could handle it. The rare keys needed were all doable with a friend or two, maybe even solo if you were good. The game started going belly up when you couldn't even see most of it anymore unless you were in the right guild.

My major regret is that I didn't sell off the million or so plat I had before I quit.

Danenania
10-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Wow, yeah.. that would have to go for at least a grand wouldn't it?

Blarg
10-21-2005, 08:38 PM
I think the plat alone was worth 700 to 800-ish at the time I quit. And I had a ton of items and rare ingredients. I was max on most trades, too. I wouldn't be surprised if I left a grand on the table there, or more.

ddubois
10-21-2005, 08:48 PM
I sold a million spare plat before I quit for $600, but now I wish I had sold everything so that I wouldn't have been tempted to come back and play again. I got nothing done this week. And no one is going to want to buy EP/semi-Time geared level 65 toon nowadays.

gorie
10-21-2005, 08:53 PM
i would never want to play a game like that again. it was awesome at the time though. sometimes i miss certain things in life, like zoning. or a 3 hour boat ride. or killing a cactus, or staying up 36 hours straight waiting for the ancient cyclops. i also miss being a professional mod rod dropper, they were always lined up so nicely! is there anything better in life than a good AE group ? seriously.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Heh. I quit right before my guild got to Time. Just wasn't worth it to me anymore. I can't imagine what incredible stuff people have who stayed, if Time goodies have become junk. Ia 70 the top level now? I wonder how many people still play and if they're still putting out expansions.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 09:01 PM
I miss slapping DOTs in Plane of Fire in that big rectangular courtyard with a good group. And I really had a lot of fun playing my SK at the same time I played my shaman. They both could DOT, and the SK provided the snare that the shaman didn't have. I loved soloing a snared, slowed mob that sometimes other whole groups were too frightened to try. It was a beautiful thing. If I hadn't been able to play two at once, I would have quit the game years earlier.

I don't really miss EQ, but I do miss how competent everyone was. The standards of play in WoW are so low it's insane. I actually start to get angry sometimes, and the noobs have no idea why. That's one of the reasons quitting WoW was pretty easy. I probably shouldn't have bothered paying for another month again in WoW. No harm done, I'll just cancel the recurring chare.

Danenania
10-21-2005, 09:06 PM
You were a shaman? I think I remember you from the shaman website. I read there sometimes. You posted good stuff!

Blarg
10-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I was Blarg there too. Then my name got messed up so I was BlargX. That was a very good board. There were a lot of really good discussions there.

gorie
10-21-2005, 09:13 PM
ah memories. (http://www.kingofthebop.com/flash/sparklyorbTHEMOVIE.swf) /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ddubois
10-21-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the SK provided the snare that the shaman didn't have

[/ QUOTE ]
Should have played a troll /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ddubois
10-21-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You posted good stuff!

[/ QUOTE ]
Why am I not surprised?

Danenania
10-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah I remember you. I used to play a ranger mainly so read those boards primarily. But always played with a friend who was a shaman, and he was lazy, so I had to read the shaman boards myself and teach him how to play. I read all the boards a bit. I've always been much more interested in game development and philosophy issues than the specifics of any game. It's been interesting to examine some of the recent train wrecks that have been produced to see where they went wrong. Strangely enough the answer seems to always have a lot to do with selling out for short term $$, in some form or another. The best is when the devs give into letting gamers have imediate gratification so that they themselves can have immediate financial gratification instead of a solid and longstanding title. Ah, America..sigh.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Yup. Whatever class has the most members is the most likely to be heard and rewarded.

MMORPG's sometimes seem like little more than a race to convince the devs to overpower your class/race first so you can whomp over everybody else. And maybe cause design issues so serious that they won't be able to fix them and bring you down to earth for years. The communities can be pretty ridiculous.

They're bad in RTS's too sometimes, but not to the same extent. MMORPG players often seem like they'd be happy to completely destroy everyone else's experience, even if it winds up screwing them over in the long run, too. The politics that can build up in these games is absurd.

DrNo888
10-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Hehe, I play on and off for 5 years and only got to like 62. Started hardcore then really slow down and became a casual player who only wanted to do tradeskills because of that damn Shawl quest. Never even got the shawl. I had everything ready to do the walk. Just couldnt find people at the times I played to do it.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 09:50 PM
The shawl was a cruel beast. Some tradeskills were a gigantic pain. I remember back in the day when the ingredients were purposedly spread out over the world and the containers and components were unstackable so you'd have to spend the maximum possible time to advance a trade. (shudder)

Blarg
10-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Check out some of the screenshots for Earth 2160.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/earth2160/news.html?sid=6119443&mode=previews

Click on the picks to blow 'em up bigger. This is some beautiful looking stuff. I'm intrigued. Unfortunately, I doubtless don't have the system to run it.

No idea what the gameplay is like, but damn, those machines look great.

gorie
10-21-2005, 09:52 PM
i really enjoyed the shawl quest.
i'm weird and ended up doing like 90% of it for a friend too (including the tradeskill leveling).

Popinjay
10-21-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm weird and ended up doing like 90% of it for a friend too (including the tradeskill leveling).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I love you.

gorie
10-21-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I love you.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol why because i clearly have no life ? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
basically i just like clicking buttons. that's whyi play online poker.

Trix
10-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Thought you destroyed the CD /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Popinjay
10-22-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thought you destroyed the CD /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. The addiction was so strong that I redownloaded it on warez and cracked it. I've recently again deleted it though because it was taking up too much homework time.

ccrazy88
10-22-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Starcraft is the only RTS you'll need. None of that BGH crap too.

[/ QUOTE ]Amen to that.

siccjay
10-22-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the plat alone was worth 700 to 800-ish at the time I quit. And I had a ton of items and rare ingredients. I was max on most trades, too. I wouldn't be surprised if I left a grand on the table there, or more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same thing with my UO account. I had a clothing bless deed that worth some cash. Plus my characters were probably worth 500-600 alone, not counting my houses and cash.

Shoe
10-22-2005, 02:41 AM
EQ2 is really good... I can't wait for Civ4 either...

Blarg
10-22-2005, 09:00 AM
I put in an advance order for Earth 2160 with EB Games. Even if I can't play it at uber resolutions to see the full eye candy, it still looks like it could be pretty fun. Comes out in the first week of November in the U.S., but I saw a review or two from people who have gotten it in Europe, where it has already been released, and they like it. It seems to have a limited number of maps, so I ordered it early to get the bonus maps.

tomdemaine
10-22-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yup. Whatever class has the most members is the most likely to be heard and rewarded.

MMORPG's sometimes seem like little more than a race to convince the devs to overpower your class/race first so you can whomp over everybody else. And maybe cause design issues so serious that they won't be able to fix them and bring you down to earth for years. The communities can be pretty ridiculous.

They're bad in RTS's too sometimes, but not to the same extent. MMORPG players often seem like they'd be happy to completely destroy everyone else's experience, even if it winds up screwing them over in the long run, too. The politics that can build up in these games is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Paper is fine, nerf Rock" - Scissors

Blarg
10-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Heh, that's a very good way of putting it!

astroglide
10-22-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a good quote

waffle
10-22-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a good video that shows how RPS applies to WoW.

clip (http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=20WPQIYT56EQF3NZT34BWJDNFF) - 1 minute long, 4MB download, requires XViD or VLC player.