PDA

View Full Version : $241k stripper tab

icepick
10-21-2005, 02:29 PM
CNN Article (http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/21/topless.tab.ap/index.html)

Holy [censored]. Must of been a hellva night.

tdarko
10-21-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Must of been a hellva night.

[/ QUOTE ]
or a morning filled with tons of regret.

xadrez
10-21-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored]. Must of been a hellva case of blue balls .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

stabn
10-21-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Spending 241k without cuming sounds pretty tough.

xorbie
10-21-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Spending 241k without cuming 10+ times sounds pretty tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheWorstPlayer
10-21-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Spending 241k without cuming 10+ times sounds pretty tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yo! It was fraudulent charges! Just like the last three times!

xadrez
10-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Im not sure. Strippers are predators. This guy was an easy mark. By the time he got started spending his first couple thousand, they probably realized they could get a lot more out of him w/o doing anything.

Ulysses
10-21-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you pay many thousands in VIP rooms at strip clubs, anything goes. Chris Rock's "No Sex in the Champagne Room" was funny, but false.

Shajen
10-21-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, am I the only one that thinks this guy is a gigantic loser for spending anywhere near this much money in a [censored] strip club? Come on, that's weak sauce.

dibbs
10-21-2005, 03:14 PM
I imagine "strippers" here isn't totally correct as I'm sure a bill like that borders along the lines of high class hookers.

TheWorstPlayer
10-21-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, am I the only one that thinks this guy is a gigantic loser for spending anywhere near this much money in a [censored] strip club? Come on, that's weak sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you missed the part where he a)charges it on his corporate card and b)refuses to pay the charges. He didn't spend a dime.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-21-2005, 03:16 PM
I think I know a guy who just got a job with this guy's company.

rohjoh
10-21-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I imagine "strippers" here isn't totally correct as I'm sure a bill like that borders along the lines of high class hookers.

[/ QUOTE ]

For that kind of money, you could have 50 hookers, and a pound of blow.

samjjones
10-21-2005, 03:17 PM
"$10K tips"? Good for them.

MINETZ
10-21-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, am I the only one that thinks this guy is a gigantic loser for spending anywhere near this much money in a [censored] strip club? Come on, that's mild sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

Mr_J
10-21-2005, 03:20 PM
They got the guy super pissed and just had him on the phone all night. If I get bill gates drunk and get him to sign all of his wealth over to me does it still count? Lol f'ckin parasites. Unless he KNEW he'd get away with it, who the f*ck is going to hand over 10k tips??

samjjones
10-21-2005, 03:24 PM
So the fact that the guy got super wasted absolves him of all guilt? Good thing he didn't drive home that night and kill somebody, or rape a 8 year old, or else he'd still be out and roaming the streets!

Ulysses
10-21-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who the f*ck is going to hand over 10k tips??

[/ QUOTE ]

Some guy who is looking to close a deal for tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.

Shajen
10-21-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you missed the part where he a)charges it on his corporate card and b)refuses to pay the charges. He didn't spend a dime.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I saw that part. I still think it's lame as hell.

Mr_J
"Some guy who is looking to close a deal for tens or hundreds of millions of dollars."

Besides guys worth 8 figs + /images/graemlins/wink.gif

He probally could've bought a few dozen hot russian or thai brides for that.

Los Feliz Slim
You know who's going to make the MOST money out of this? The attorneys. And it's the strippers that'll keep the bad reputation.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Damn, and their reputation was on such an upswing...

Paluka
[ QUOTE ]
You know who's going to make the MOST money out of this? The attorneys. And it's the strippers that'll keep the bad reputation.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then the lawyers spend that dough on strippers. And the cycle of life continues...

tonypaladino
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

scores deserves a bad reputation

they are rip off artists

Los Feliz Slim
10-21-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

scores deserves a bad reputation

they are rip off artists

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, actually. My comment came out pro-stripper, when I just intended to be anti-attorney.

Sponger15SB
10-21-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He could have had sex with a 24 hot chicks for $10k a piece instead of getting robbed blind at scores.

stabn
10-21-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you pay many thousands in VIP rooms at strip clubs, anything goes. Chris Rock's "No Sex in the Champagne Room" was funny, but false.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what i mean. When you are spending that kind of cash you get whatever you want. I don't think anyone's going to be satisfied spending that kind of dough and going home with blue balls. This asian chick at Cheetah's told me she'd do a whole lot more than a lapdance for $500 the last time i was in vegas.

PoBoy321
10-21-2005, 03:56 PM
It's almost certain that these are fraudulent charges. My understanding is that it's pretty common for a strip club owner to grossly overcharge corporate credit cards because they have the credit limit and the payers are often too embarassed to refute the fraudulent charges.

jaydub
10-21-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So the fact that the guy got super wasted absolves him of all guilt? Good thing he didn't drive home that night and kill somebody, or rape a 8 year old, or else he'd still be out and roaming the streets!

[/ QUOTE ]

No but it may well invalidate the purchases. If he had driven home the club could have been sued for overserving.

samjjones
10-21-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No but it may well invalidate the purchases. If he had driven home the club could have been sued for overserving.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any credit card purchase over $10K must be validated by the card user over the phone. The man was coherent enough to provide personal information to the credit card company, which validated the card's use at the time. Consent was given.

jaydub
10-21-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Any credit card purchase over $10K must be validated by the card user over the phone.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

The man was coherent enough to provide personal information to the credit card company, which validated the card's use at the time. Consent was given.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what the club's lawyers will say but the CEOs' are gonna claim that he was over served by the club. Not sure who will win but the claim of being over served will be central.

Put it this way, you show up to sign a contract on a house or other large purchase where lawyers are involved and are clearly hammered. Just drunk and falling all over yourself. You think they're gonna let you sign?

samjjones
10-21-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any credit card purchase over $10K must be validated by the card user over the phone.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean, "no"? I've made two purchases over $10K on credit cards, and both times I had to speak to the cc company to provide consent and verify my id. Are you saying this is not standard operating procedure?

jaydub
10-21-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean, "no"? I've made two purchases over $10K on credit cards, and both times I had to speak to the cc company to provide consent and verify my id. Are you saying this is not standard operating procedure?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made > 100 such purchases on a corporate amex and am saying it is not always done.

The club probably makes all customers do it for large purchases and I wouldn't be shocked if amex initially declined any large purchases from such a place but there is no amex rule that > $10K needs a phone call.

J.A.Sucker
10-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Hasn't scores been accused of all kinds of stuff like this before? I think the strippers take the tab, buy a bunch of Cristal and overcharge tips to themselves along with 20 lapdances for like 10 chicks at a time. I'm too lazy to look for it, but I'm almost positive. I'd tend to believe the CEO's side is closer to the truth than the club's. Of course, with all of the checks n' balances that scores claims, this should be a slam dunk for them, right? This is basically what all came out when the Gold club got busted and all of the atheletes had to take the stand. I'll never forget Patrick Ewing going up and talking about he banged a bunch of strippers, but he didn't pay them for sex - just lapdances and they were being nice to him. That was some funny stuff!

BWebb
10-21-2005, 04:42 PM
They were discussing this on Howard Stern this morning. First, let me state that Howard is close to the Scores people so he is probably biased. They said that whenever somebody makes charges over $10,000, they call the credit card company and have the holder of the card verify their identity and that they are not overly drunk. They also fax id info and thumb prints to the cc company. Like I said, it's probably bias but this is what they said.

obi---one
10-21-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Must of been a hellva night.

[/ QUOTE ]
or a morning filled with tons of regret.

[/ QUOTE ]

or both

wacki
10-21-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a story, please share.

also, this is a related link

http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/news/columns/vice/9612/

10-21-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please back this up with a story /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ulysses
10-21-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a story, please share.

also, this is a related link

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't partake in paying money for sex. No moral issues with is, just not my bag. But I know plenty of people who do, and have, at strip clubs. This includes strip clubs known for "no funny business at all." I also have been offered just about everything you could ever imagine at a strip club.

bdohaney
10-21-2005, 09:19 PM
For $240k you could buy a ferrari F430 pick up all of the trashy women you want, Pay the gas and insurance on the car for a year, and still have a few thousand left.

sfer
10-21-2005, 11:01 PM
I fully expected to open this thread and hear about a standard Saturday night for Tha' JBB.

edtost
10-21-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I fully expected to open this thread and hear about a standard Saturday night for Tha' JBB.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really wanted to hear about bottles babysitting?

tonypaladino
10-22-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a merchant who frequently makes huge charges combined with a card that is always making big purchases is a reletivly easy approval for amex.

one way scores gets away with charges is by making a blank imprint receipt of the card, getting the customer to sign it, then filling in whatever amount they want later

jman220
10-22-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read an article on this in the local paper today, they had the price breakdown as this (New York Post):

30 Bottles of Clos du Mesnil champagne at $3,200 each: $96,000

350 Martinis at $22 a piece: $7,700

750 shots at $17.50 a pop: $13,125

850 bottles of water at $9 each (lol): $7,650

65 private rooms at $1,000 each: $65,000

Keep in mind this all took place in one single night. According to the article it was just him and 3 friends. How is this possible? How do 3 people get 2,576 lapdances over a one night period? Thats 71 lapdances an hour each. One lapdance every 50 seconds for 12 hours straight. (Assuming 12 hours). Thats Who are they buying 350 martinis and 750 shots for? Even if they're buying drinks for themselves and all the strippers, assuming a twelve hour period, 30 bottles of Clos du Mesnil, 350 martinis and 750 shots is enough alcohol to kill 50 people from alcohol poisoning. What are 4 people purchasing 65 private rooms for? 850 bottles of water... Even for peoplee who haven't already consumed a swimming pool's worth of hard liquor, 850 bottles of water would be more than enough to quench the thirst of, and bloat 150 people. I can't imagine drinking 8 bottles of water in a one night period, but they bought enough for 100 people to do this...

So yeah, I call BS on Scores.

DesertCat
10-23-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind this all took place in one single night. According to the article it was just him and 3 friends. How is this possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called being a big shot CEO and buying drinks for everyone in the place, as well as lap dances. If you are a big time CEO that's full of yourself, by the time you leave you have many more than three friends.

I have a friend, who also was a CEO, who dropped $40k at Scores in a single night. He didn't try to weasle out of his bill...

Rick Nebiolo
10-23-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. A diplomat from a country where most live in poverty spends $130K in a strip club. I was depressed before I read this but now I feel uplifted somehow.

~ Rick

Duke
10-23-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And then the lawyers spend that dough on strippers. And the cycle of life continues...

[/ QUOTE ]

But is this guy worthy of the title: Professional Strip Club Patron?

~D

MyTurn2Raise
10-23-2005, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being drunk invalidates the contractual agreement made during a credit card purchase. A person cannot give consent while drunk. The merchant should know this and realize they might get stiffed. I've gotten out of hotel stays that I do not remember with this little gem.

peachy
10-23-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read an article on this in the local paper today, they had the price breakdown as this (New York Post):

Keep in mind this all took place in one single night. According to the article it was just him and 3 friends. How is this possible? How do 3 people get 2,576 lapdances over a one night period? Thats 71 lapdances an hour each. One lapdance every 50 seconds for 12 hours straight. (Assuming 12 hours). Thats Who are they buying 350 martinis and 750 shots for? Even if they're buying drinks for themselves and all the strippers, assuming a twelve hour period, 30 bottles of Clos du Mesnil, 350 martinis and 750 shots is enough alcohol to kill 50 people from alcohol poisoning. What are 4 people purchasing 65 private rooms for? 850 bottles of water... Even for peoplee who haven't already consumed a swimming pool's worth of hard liquor, 850 bottles of water would be more than enough to quench the thirst of, and bloat 150 people. I can't imagine drinking 8 bottles of water in a one night period, but they bought enough for 100 people to do this...

[/ QUOTE ]

for him and 3 other people it seems wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ridiculous....how can anyone think any judge wont throw most of it out? Even if he was buying stuff for EVERYONE there...it would still be far fetched.

Plus, the club i used to work at didnt even keep 4k+ bottles of one type of thier top champanges on STORAGE at the LOCATION...that part doesnt make sense to me (i dunno how big the place is but even if its bigger than any strip club i know of most wont keep all thier top/expensive champagne on location at all times unless they know they will need it for a large party)....and that amount of private dance time would make thier dicks hurt wether they are doing them or not

bottom line...if they consumed all that in one night they would be dead....it would be hard for 100+ people to consume all that in one night...thats well over 1200 drinks plus 850 bottles of water...thats just not possible

If they wanted to scam people out of money i cant imagine doing it so BLANTLY and obvious....why not add just a few more thousand to the tab....not 200k+ - of course thats gonna get fought over...what kinda morons would do that

jman220
10-23-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for him and 3 other people it seems wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ridiculous....how can anyone think any judge wont throw most of it out? Even if he was buying stuff for EVERYONE there...it would still be far fetched.

Plus, the club i used to work at didnt even keep 4k+ bottles of one type of thier top champanges on STORAGE at the LOCATION...that part doesnt make sense to me (i dunno how big the place is but even if its bigger than any strip club i know of most wont keep all thier top/expensive champagne on location at all times unless they know they will need it for a large party)....and that amount of private dance time would make thier dicks hurt wether they are doing them or not

bottom line...if they consumed all that in one night they would be dead....it would be hard for 100+ people to consume all that in one night...thats well over 1200 drinks plus 850 bottles of water...thats just not possible

If they wanted to scam people out of money i cant imagine doing it so BLANTLY and obvious....why not add just a few more thousand to the tab....not 200k+ - of course thats gonna get fought over...what kinda morons would do that

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this was my point, even if this hot shot CEO is buying drinks for literally everyone in the club and every dancer... its still too much. 850 bottles of water? Come on.

jaydub
10-23-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being drunk invalidates the contractual agreement made during a credit card purchase. A person cannot give consent while drunk. The merchant should know this and realize they might get stiffed. I've gotten out of hotel stays that I do not remember with this little gem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way oversimplistic but close. You cannot merely cry drunk and get out of a contract but if you feed someone alcohol and try to hold him to a contract, good luck.

jman220
10-24-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Way oversimplistic but close. You cannot merely cry drunk and get out of a contract but if you feed someone alcohol and try to hold him to a contract, good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is pretty much what happenned here. The article I read made it appear like the CEO did not have a clear memory of what he did and did not authorize. His defense wasn't so much "I didn't authorize this" as "its not possible that I authorized this much." A place that serves alcohol has a duty to cut you off if you start getting too drunk, and it appears that this was not done here.

gamblore99
10-24-2005, 01:48 AM
I think the weirdest part is the water. If people are getting free drinks, they are not going nuts with water. Especially the strip club crowd. Nor would a hot shot CEO start yelling "Another round of water for everybody!"

DesertCat
10-24-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the weirdest part is the water. If people are getting free drinks, they are not going nuts with water. Especially the strip club crowd. Nor would a hot shot CEO start yelling "Another round of water for everybody!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was Wet T Shirt night?

DesertCat
10-24-2005, 03:57 PM
From Footnoted.org [ QUOTE ]
What else are they hiding?
October 24th, 2005

Lost in the coverage of the $241,000 Savvis Communications (SVVS) Chairman and CEO Rob McCormick spent at Scores, an upscale strip club in Manhattan, was the fact that the company reported third quarter results on the same day the story broke. Hmmm…wonder which one the PR person fielded more calls on?

Although the Daily News story talked about McCormick’s history as a hard partier, I was unable to find any disclosure in the company’s SEC filings about out of control expenses for strippers. Indeed, under “all other income” last year, the company only listed a measly $6,500 for McCormick for 401-K contributions.

Also interesting in the proxy were the six-plus pages devoted to related-party transactions. For a small company whose proxy was 50 pages, that’s an awful lot. One of the new disclosures is that McCormick’s brother and sister-in-law were on the Savvis payroll. Though it’s not clear from the filing how long both have been employed by Savvis, brother Rob made $210K last year and SIL Missy made $115K. So it seems like the strip club bills aren’t the only things Savvis hasn’t been particularly forthcoming on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like this guy is very free and easy with his company's monies.

DesertCat
10-25-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From Footnoted.org [ QUOTE ]
UPDATE It looks like Rob will now have plenty of time to think about his penchant for big-time spending. Shortly after 8 p.m. tonight, the company announced that he was on an unpaid leave of absence and that the audit committee had launched an investigation.

[/ QUOTE ]

JohnnyHumongous
11-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Note to self: never walk in to Scores with a credit card on my person.

DesertCat
11-25-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

TOWN AND COUNTRY, Mo., Nov. 24 (AP) - The chairman and chief executive of Savvis Inc. has resigned after an investigation into a $241,000 bill he charged to a corporate American Express card at a New York City topless club in 2003.

Savvis issued a statement on Wednesday saying it had accepted the resignation of the official, Robert McCormick, after the inquiry by its audit committee was completed.

"The board has determined that it is in the best interest of the company to accept Mr. McCormick's resignation," said Clyde Heintzelman, head of the audit committee.

The company, which provides corporate networking services, said Jack Finlayson would be acting chief executive. He has been Savvis's president and chief operating officer and a director of the company since 2000.

Mr. McCormick, 40, of Clayton, Mo., had been on unpaid leave while Savvis investigated the bill. He had previously said through a lawyer for Savvis that he was the victim of fraud.

Mr. McCormick was paid $607,500 last year in salary and bonus. Savvis did not say whether he would receive any severance.

[/ QUOTE ]