PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Cab Rides

10-21-2005, 02:22 PM
So last night a few friends and I took a cab back from getting wasted at the Austrian Embassy. Halfway back one of my friends puked in the cab, shameful but it happens.

Anyways, we get to the kids house and the fare comes to 12 dollars. The cabby starts getting all upset and telling us we owe him 45 dollars or else we have to clean up the back seat. We were all well dressed from the party and I felt the driver was just taking advantage of our impression of wealth. Im interested to hear what you all do in this situation.

Keep in mind we are all drunk and the cab driver has already called his station to send the cops.

I'll post results later.

10-21-2005, 02:24 PM
its come down to making gimmick oot accounts. fight the power.

Jeffage
10-21-2005, 02:25 PM
So basically he is asking for 33 bucks extra because one of your friends can't handle their liquor and puked in his backseat. I think that's reasonable b/c that would be pretty disgusting for him to have to deal with. It's like 8 bucks more a person. Pay it.

Jeff

SheetWise
10-21-2005, 02:26 PM
I'd have asked for $100.

10-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Did you offer to tip extra b/c of the mess or did he come out and demanded you pay him what he wanted?
If you offered to tip extra, which you should have then he should not have asked for more money

wh1t3bread
10-21-2005, 02:32 PM
DC cab drivers suck. I can't wait until they all have meters. I live in Arlington and it's pain in the ass to have to negotiate a reasonable fair with them to drive you 4 miles before even stepping foot into the cab.

I've had similiar experiences with cab drivers threatening to call the cops. But this was only because we agreed to pay the cab $20 to take us home and then we pull up and he says $30. An argument then ensues saying that wasn't the negotiated price. We always just end up paying though since its usually only about 10 dollars. But getting into verbal arguments at 3am with people who barely speak english is always amusing.

Anyway in this situation. Your friend is a dick and he either needs to clean up the cab himself or pay the man extra to clean it up for him. Throwing up in any car, even your own is inexcusable.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-21-2005, 02:36 PM
The last time I was in a cab, the driver told us as we were piling in that it'd be $80 if any of us puked in the car. Apparently, we were all noticeably drunk.

jaydub
10-21-2005, 02:37 PM
You should pay because it is a reasonable surcharge. Now in the case of an unreasonable surcharge... I have frequently had to deal with cabbies who make up bullshit fares, troll for other passengers, etc. The exact response differs but the general strategy is as follows.

1. Make sure all people / belongings are out of cab. This is obvious but can be overlooked when traveling with others.
2. Explain forcefully but calmly and reasonably that the situation is unacceptable. This can be hard to do at 4AM hammered but try.
3. Assuming that this does not work, hand the driver the amount you deem fit and leave. He will yell but simply ignore him. Be careful as you walk away, look into glass for reflections, be aware of surroundings, etc.

Rduke55
10-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Just pay the man. His job is to get you from point A to point B, not clean up your buddy's vomit.
The whole point that you are asking this makes you sound like a spoiled brat.

The Goober
10-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I think that $45 is an extremely reasonably fee for cleaning up puke. I would have a paid the fare, paid the fee, and left a nice tip on top of that (or rather, make the puker cough up most of it). Do you know how hard it is to get the smell of puke out of car? This guys is likely going to lose money on the deal just because of the fares he'll miss.

The Goober
10-21-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Throwing up in any car, especially your own is inexcusable.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are throwing up in your own car than you are either:
a) driving hammered
or
b) you recruited someone else to drive your car home for you, and then thanked them by making them smell your vomit for the rest of the ride

Maulik
10-21-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that $45 is an extremely reasonably fee for cleaning up puke. I would have a paid the fare, paid the fee, and left a nice tip on top of that (or rather, make the puker cough up most of it). Do you know how hard it is to get the smell of puke out of car? This guys is likely going to lose money on the deal just because of the fares he'll miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not unreasonable for a cabby to demand additional fee given you've obligated him to doing additional work.

slickpoppa
10-21-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
DC cab drivers suck. I can't wait until they all have meters. I live in Arlington and it's pain in the ass to have to negotiate a reasonable fair with them to drive you 4 miles before even stepping foot into the cab.

I've had similiar experiences with cab drivers threatening to call the cops. But this was only because we agreed to pay the cab $20 to take us home and then we pull up and he says $30. An argument then ensues saying that wasn't the negotiated price. We always just end up paying though since its usually only about 10 dollars. But getting into verbal arguments at 3am with people who barely speak english is always amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Arlington as well and have this same problem. Trying to get a cab back from DC on a saturday night is a total pain in the ass. Sometimes I just agree to a hgiher price before getting into the cab and then give the guy whatever the "real" price is and tell him to go fvck himself. I once did this when I was really wasted and when the cabby bitched I challenged him to fight me outside the cab. Good times.

Ulysses
10-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Of course you pay him the $45. Very reasonable request by him.

Jeebus
10-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Your buddy shoulda taken care of handing the man some money for cleaning up the puke. Ever cleaned up where someone else puked? Its not fun at all. When he asked for money you should have apologized profusely and then given him at least $60

tonypaladino
10-21-2005, 03:04 PM
pay the man retard. why should the cabbie have to pay/lose fares to clean up the puke?

The Goober
10-21-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure if you were re-iterating or you misunderstoond me, but we agree on this issue.

In fact, I think everyone does except the OP.

MINETZ
10-21-2005, 03:23 PM
you think sober people are going to want to sit in a cab that has puke/smells like puke. your friend puking definately cost him money. I had an experience with this, one of my friends firs time drinking way to much + hookahing was basically passed out, we tried to lift him in a cab but no cab drivers would take him, so my girlfriend thought of the idea of telling cab drivers that he was diabetic and needed to get home to get his incolen, he still said if he pukes you owe me 50 dollars, luckily he didnt puke.

Fratony
10-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Some of my buddies had a similar story, but much more interesting. The were in one of those van-size cabs and my two buddies in the back wanted to dip (chewing tobacco for all you europeans) but they didnt have anything to spit into. They looked in teh back and saw some cleaning supply stuff, so they dumped it and proceded to spit in it. Of course right before they get to the house one of the girls they were with pukes in the cab. The cabbie goes to get the cleaning supplies so they can clean it, and gets all annoyed because its not there. My other friend goes and grabs a hose and starts spraying the inside of the car. Needless to say they had to pay the guy for their drunken retardedness

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 04:40 PM
If we are throwing out stories involving drunken cab rides. I was at a party in Brooklyn a few months back and ended up up till dawn drinking with some girl, we got a little friendly during the course of the evening/morning and decided to share a cab back to our hood, it's a pretty expensive/long ride; we're messing around a bit, and we arrived soon enough to our destination. As we got out of the cab she declared, how she gets motion sick in cabs, and puked all over the middle of Broadway at 7:30 AM on a Sunday morning.

The moral of the story? Always have listerine at your house.

jakethebake
10-21-2005, 04:47 PM
If you'd just offered him an extra $20 or $30 like a decent person before he asked, he probably wouldn't have asked you for $45.

Eurotrash
10-21-2005, 04:50 PM
you puked in hees cab, straight ahp. pay this man hees mahney.

seriously, if one of my friends puked in the guy's cab, I'd feel like such an ass that I would be offering him money before he even had to ask.

ElSapo
10-21-2005, 05:04 PM
He's being legit. His night, depending on what time it is, is essentially over. Even if he can get it cleaned up and get back out, his cab smells like vomit. Completely reasonable, and possibly backed by law though I'm not sure. I had a D.C. cabbie tell me they are authorized by the commission to collect a surcharge for this - while I don't know if that's actually true, it probably ought to be.

DarkForceRising
10-21-2005, 05:05 PM
I am sorry to say that I used to drive a cab. In fact, I pwn3d my own cab, which I kept well maintained and spotlessly clean. So, needless to say, it used to piss me off to no end when people would treat it like their own personal trash can.

Although I am not a fan of most cabbies the fact is that your buddy is a douchebag. Any moron that doesn't have the foresight to know that they are going to puke shouldn't even be drinking in the first place.

You are costing this guy money in a profession that is a bitch of a grind. It's bad enough that he has to deal with the scum of the earth day in and day out let alone have to breathe the fumes of and clean up puke. Pay up.

Reef
10-21-2005, 05:34 PM
time to pay the piper, whore!

Joshssj4
10-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Where I live it's an automatic 50$ added to the fare if you puke in a cab. I cannot believe you even brought up this question.
If I was in this situation I would pay the extra fee he asks and offer to help out with the clean-up, in fact, it's happened to me before.

daryn
10-21-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you puked in hees cab, straight ahp. pay this man hees mahney.

[/ QUOTE ]

n1

10-21-2005, 06:01 PM
I think many of you are getting the wrong impression. I totally offered the guy an extra 20 right away, but he demanded more, which may have been reasonable. The bottom line is that I was wasted and in such a state that I got upset at the demand.

The debacle was settled by giving the guy 20 dollars and giving the back seat a quick clean.

The Yugoslavian
10-21-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course you pay him the $45. Very reasonable request by him.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real David Hume would never even have to think twice about this sort of scenario...wtf?!

Yugoslav