PDA

View Full Version : Explosions In The Sky

MasterShakes
10-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Has anybody listened to this band? They were the all instrumental band (from the same mold as Mogwai and Godspeed You Black Emperor) that did the soundtrack for "Friday Night Lights". I thought it was the best soundtrack ever for a sports movie (Hoosiers wasn't far behind), so I've been listening to them a lot lately.

If you just want some free samples, either use torrent or go to their Live Music Archive page here (http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&cat=Explosions%20in%20 the%20Sky).

Their new album "The Rescue" is masterful.

Thoughts?

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 02:22 PM
I haven't been able to get the new EP. They are definitely my favorite band of the genre.

10-21-2005, 03:41 PM
yes.. they're good. Got into Godspeed for awhile... but I just dl'd their last album... very good, highly recommended.

MasterShakes
10-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Do any of you know of any bands that fall into this genre that are worth listening to? So far, I've only mentioned three. I'd think there is more.

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do any of you know of any bands that fall into this genre that are worth listening to? So far, I've only mentioned three. I'd think there is more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pelican is a little heavier/more metal then Explosions, but you should still like. And, I'm out. My friends and I have been trying to coin the phrase "Post Modern Crescendo Rock" to give it a really ridiculous genre name.

MasterShakes
10-21-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pelican is a little heavier/more metal then Explosions, but you should still like. And, I'm out. My friends and I have been trying to coin the phrase "Post Modern Crescendo Rock" to give it a really ridiculous genre name.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the genre title. It is a very specialized genre with so few bands as a part of it. While I think Mogwai's "Fear Satan" is the best song to come out of the genre, EITS's catalog as a whole is better.

MasterShakes
10-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Oh, and the live music archive page has shows from both Mogwai and Godspeed also. There's hundreds of bands on there, some of them pretty notable for their live performances (over 2000 shows from the Grateful Dead). It's an excellent resource if you're into live music.