PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain the rules of poker to me.

The once and future king
10-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Situation.
BB is 50.

I am under the gun. I have KK I raise to 150, small stack raises all in to 260. This gets 2 calls. When the action gets back to me all I can do is call the raise from the small stack.

Why the [censored] cant I reraise. I mean, I realy realy wanted to but cant.

I cant think of a logical game mechanic reason for not being able to, is it just a case of thems the rules boy suck it up or is there something Im missing?

MegaBet
10-21-2005, 01:49 PM
The Rules of Poker (http://www.pagat.com/vying/pokerrules.html)

nuclear500
10-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Um?

50 to 150 is a +100 raise.
150 to 260 is a +110 raise, he raised the minimum, so you can reraise.

unfrgvn
10-21-2005, 01:50 PM
I think the exact rule is site dependant. From the PP web site:
[ QUOTE ]
In this type of game, there is no limit to the maximum bet that you can make in any betting round. However, there is a minimum bet that is equivalent to the big blind.

The minimum raise amount must be at least as much as the previous bet or raise in the same round. For example, if the first player to act bets $10 then the second player must raise a minimum of $10 (total bet of $20). There is no maximum raise – you can raise as much as you want. However, if you wish to call a bet but don't have the chips to cover it, you'll be 'all-in'. At this point, you can only win the portion of the pot covered by your chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think because the all in was less than a full raise, all you can do is call. The other players would have been able to raise if they wanted, because they hadn't acted yet. If you had opened for 130, then the all in would have been a full raise and you could have repopped the callers.

Scuba Chuck
10-21-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you had opened for 130, then the all in would have been a full raise and you could have repopped the callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lesson learned. More reasons for administering stack management.

zipppy
10-21-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think because the all in was less than a full raise, all you can do is call. The other players would have been able to raise if they wanted, because they hadn't acted yet. If you had opened for 130, then the all in would have been a full raise and you could have repopped the callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious to know if that would be true. I don't think it would/should be.

The reason you have the option to reraise is that someone acting after you has increased the size of the bet. If someone goes allin, then you cannot force them to put in any more chips. So if no one else raises, then you shouldn't be able to have another option to act against them, only to call or fold against the short stacks all in.

I don't think I'm putting into words what I mean very well, but I thought I'd give it a try.

>ZIP

The once and future king
10-21-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Um?

50 to 150 is a +100 raise.
150 to 260 is a +110 raise, he raised the minimum, so you can reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I couldnt.

The once and future king
10-21-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think because the all in was less than a full raise, all you can do is call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why though? What is the logic behind this rule?

Nevermind think I get it now. In essence I have been called not raised.

10-21-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if I raise to 149 and some guy behind me raises all-in in to 150, which is essentially a call? Should I really be allowed to push after some people call? It seems like that would be abuseable

nuclear500
10-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Then something was screwed up.

Unless I'm totally blown out of my mind here, if someone reraises you the minimum or more, you can reraise to your hearts content.

Now, if you'd opened to 175, a raise of +125, his raise to 260 would have been less then the minimum (+85) and you couldn't reraise. But you made it +100 he made it +110 more, equalling and exceeding the minimum.

zipppy
10-21-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if I raise to 149 and some guy behind me raises all-in in to 150, which is essentially a call? Should I really be allowed to push after some people call? It seems like that would be abuseable

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think so, which is what the point of my post was.

Edit: To be more accurate, the point of my post was that I don't think someone should ever be allowed to reraise over an allin after they've already acted unless someone else reraises, which includes the times that someone goes allin for less than a full raise.

valenzuela
10-21-2005, 09:00 PM
the rules make sense to me.
You have KK and 1000 chips and bet 100.
The guy with 44 calls.( he has 1000 chips as well)
The shorty with A7 goes all-in for his last 130
And now you want to reraise??? Doesnt seem fair to me.

Exitonly
10-21-2005, 09:03 PM
you made the bet 150, he made it 260, i don't see why you owuldn't be able to raise... the minraise in that situation would be to 250, the short stack more than covered it.

What's the deal?

bawcerelli
10-21-2005, 09:09 PM
to put it another way. what if the short stack just minraised to 250 instead of going all in? you certainly would be able to reraise, but you can't reraise at 260? doens't make sense.

valenzuela
10-21-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you made the bet 150, he made it 260, i don't see why you owuldn't be able to raise... the minraise in that situation would be to 250, the short stack more than covered it.

What's the deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im an idiot that didnt even read the OP, anyway i think the OP should send an email to party or wherever he was playing.

tjh
10-22-2005, 03:35 AM
This page from the RGP FAQ sums it up rather nicely. And it seems like either your site differs from these rules or your numbers that you used as an example are not accurate.

RGP FAQ (http://www.rgpfaq.com/no-limit.html)