PDA

View Full Version : Newbie preflop question

Jinx
10-21-2005, 01:16 PM
You're at a really juicy game BM game. People call UTG 10 dollar raises with stuff like 5Js. 100 buyin, 2/3 blinds. YOu have AQs in early MP. Should you raise, and if so how much?

Godfather80
10-21-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're at a really juicy game BM game. People call UTG 10 dollar raises with stuff like 5Js. 100 buyin, 2/3 blinds. YOu have AQs in early MP. Should you raise, and if so how much?

[/ QUOTE ]

limp. Making money off calling stations involves hitting hands.

10-21-2005, 01:26 PM
IMO you generally want to make bigger raises (e.g. 4xBB + 1xBB per limper as opposed to 3xBB + 1xBB per limper) at a table like this, because you're pretty likely to get at least one opponent, but you still don't want 3+ opponents. A raise to $12 or even $15 (limpers?) is probably good here. If you raise to just $9 or $10, and one person calls, you're too likely to see several calls behind and then be OOP against too many opponents. If you were in LP with no limpers, I would suggest raising a little less to induce the blinds to call with weak holdings (hopefully the people to your left are some of the loosest/weakest at the table). In LP with 1 or more limpers, play like early-MP with none.

10-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Good point. If the players at your table are so fishy they don't even understand that you're a tight player and probably have a better hand, I agree with this. I was thinking of a table full of people who know you're a tight player (if you are), but who play far too many hands because they both (a) bluff too much and (b) think their post-flop play is good.

PinkSteel
10-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Depends on whether or not you get limpers in front. If you do, raise it up hard in an attempt to buy the button and get position on the field.

But if not, then any callers you get will have position on you. So limp and play to hit the big hand.