PDA

View Full Version : Cologne - Recs & When To Wear

Aloysius
10-21-2005, 01:13 PM
I have a $200 gift certificate to Bloomingdale's - don't really need more clothes - thinking... cologne.

Two-part question:

1) Any colognes that you would highly recommend I check out? Personally, I don't prefer the "musky" type ones, but since I have such limited experience with cologne am very open-minded. Only cologne I've ever worn is L'eau D'Issey, that my ex-girlfriend bought for me and would force me to wear.

2) When is it appropriate to wear cologne? At my last job, which was a fairly formal work environment, co-workers would on occassion wear cologne. I found that odd. I've only put on cologne for semi-formal / formal events. Normal "night-on-the-town" never done it.

swede123
10-21-2005, 01:21 PM
1) I'm like you in that I don't really dig the musky stuff. I prefer the "fresh" or "sporty" scents. Right now I mostly use DKNY for men (http://www.perfumeemporium.com/mens/details.cfm?id=3055&source=163). Just go to Bloomingdales and sample a few. If you have a woman now bring her along and get her opinion as well.

2) I wear a little cologne/aftershave just about every day, for work or when going out. It seems to bring a fair amount of complements from women, so I guess that's good. Of course I don't know how many people are harboring ill feelings because of my stench, but as long as they don't tell me about it I'll assume all is well.

Swede

ScottyP431
10-21-2005, 01:21 PM
In rank order of how women seem to like them (and since ive owned them i liked them as well)
1. Touch-burberry
2. Le mal- Jean paul gaultier
3. Eau de cartier/must de cartier
4. Farenheit- Christian Dior
5. Armani Mania

Most probably fall into the "musky" category you speak of, but they are all much lighter than Drakkar noir or Chrome or some other such grandpa cologne. If you do an internet search this Dolce and Gabbana cologne always comes up number 1 on top ten lists. My roomate got some a while back for this very reason but myself and his GF both thought it was terrible.

You can wear cologne everyday, just dont be mr to much cologne wearer. A single squirt of most of these will do the trick

Aloysius
10-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Yes - will definitely bring a woman along to help me decide (this is such a no-brainer thanks for bringing it up Swede).

Huh - do alot of guys wear aftershave / cologne every day? I'm hopelessly ignorant on this topic...

Also - aftershave recs are very welcome too... thanks!

Shajen
10-21-2005, 01:42 PM
colognes are very body dependent.

The best smelling cologne for me is the OG Curve.

It just works. Ladies love it.

I wear it most everyday, because I work around a bunch of cubicle dwelling ass blasting monkeys. My cologne is sometimes my only defense. (when the crop duster fails)

Blarg
10-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Lots of people who work in offices wear cologne every day.

Colognes have a lot of snob and fashion value attached to them, so you'll get plenty of feedback from both men and women that points either to what is most in style at the minute or what costs most, and those two tend to converge.

I'd just go to the cologne department and start sniffing. Other people's recommendations aren't worth too much in this department; you have to find something you personally like. As long as you stay away from stuff that's too overpowering, or don't dunk yourself in it like lots of guys do, you should be fine.

unlucky513
10-21-2005, 02:20 PM
aqua de gio by armani is my favorite, hugo boss is a close 2nd.

10-21-2005, 02:22 PM
I've been wearing Cool Water by Davidoff lately. Smells good.
Also Aqcua Di Gio is good. Both not musky.

If you wear a suit and tie to work, nothing wrong w/ wearing cologne, again as previously mentioned don't overdo it. One or two sprays are enough.
If you dress casually (i.e jeans and t-shirt) wearing cologne is a little tacky, again the scent is something dressy and formal it clashes if you're dressed in a t-shirt and jeans.
After hours going out on the town is the ideal time to wear cologne. You may want to respray if your going out after work.

rory
10-21-2005, 02:24 PM
whenever i see the DKNY logo all i can think about is DONKEY

Cumulonimbus
10-21-2005, 02:26 PM
DKNY Be Delicious. I get rave reviews.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Cool Water is my favorite too. I like clean scents. I've gotten lots of compliments on it.

10-21-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also Aqcua Di Gio is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend claims Aqua Di Gio is a panty-dropper frat-boy cologne, so if that's what you're going for, more power to you.

IggyWH
10-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Very Sexy For Him (I think 2 smells better than 1). It's not your normal mens cologne as it's a little flowery, but it's a nice change-of-pace and chicks love it.

Also, it's a Victoria Secret cologne so you actually have a good reason to go into the store and not look like some wandering perv.

10-21-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
colognes are very body dependent.

The best smelling cologne for me is the OG Curve.

It just works. Ladies love it.

I wear it most everyday, because I work around a bunch of cubicle dwelling ass blasting monkeys. My cologne is sometimes my only defense. (when the crop duster fails)

[/ QUOTE ]

I once had a group of 5 freshman college chicks tell me that Curve was "An orgasm in a bottle". I wear that very often.

I also had a friend who lived in Paris send me Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy... it's a much dressier smell, and very nice for a formal first date.

Benal
10-21-2005, 06:23 PM
I like Allure For Men by Chanel.

lapoker17
10-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Wear it all the time - but not a lot in volume - 1 squirt is good. Issey Miyake has been a staple for many years, but too many people wear it now - you've gotta wear something more unique. Here are the best:

Chanel Por Monsieur - Been around forever, but it's timeless.

Escada - another classic.

Escada Sentiment - Maybe the best cologne ever, but hard to find.

Dunhill Desire for Men - Awesome and not played out.

Romeo Gigli - Also hard to find - Comes in very cool green bottle.

Chanel Egoiste Platinum - Another all time great.

Aloysius
10-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks for your recs OOT!

From asking around co-workers, friends and responses here, seems like way more people wear aftershave, cologne, or aftershave + cologne combo every day than I thought.

I would've guessed 10% of guys, now it feels more like 30% (caveat - these are the worst guesses ever based on very limited sample size).

private joker
10-21-2005, 07:24 PM
http://www.allmadeup.co.uk/store/images/212_50edt_m.gif

The chicks dig it. I only wear cologne when I'm going out to a bar/club or on a date. No reason to squirt it on in everyday life; a decent shower and deodorant does the trick for the workday.