PDA

View Full Version : no foldem holdem

BIG CHEESE
10-21-2005, 01:03 PM
I play in a weakly tournament 30$ buy in the blind start at 5/10 players start with 1700 in chips a raise of 100 is a sure way to get in to a fammily pot im constantly getting drawn out on and im pulling my hair out. tight agressive just isnt working here please help!

MegaBet
10-21-2005, 01:06 PM
If you are being called by 4+ people with a 100 raise, you can almost guarentee 1 caller if you popped it to 300, and thus reducing the number of possible outdraws. I am assuming you only do this with a good hand.

BIG CHEESE
10-21-2005, 01:19 PM
300 to win 15? when is it to much?

citanul
10-21-2005, 01:20 PM
this thread sucks.

VOTE CITANUL!

citanul

MegaBet
10-21-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
300 to win 15? when is it to much?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, you can't have it both ways! If the people you play are that loose, you WILL get a caller.

MegaBet
10-21-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this thread sucks.

VOTE CITANUL!

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know. But the guy seems to have no grasp of basic poker concepts, and it only took me 10 seconds of my life to help him.

And yes, I voted for you C, at every stage. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

citanul
10-21-2005, 01:29 PM
true true, and thanks.

here's a bit more detail, so i'm helping, or something...

dude, if your raises constantly get action, don't raise tons of hands, just raise when you have big hands, and win big pots with them. similarly, if they pay off large bets post flop, see flops cheap if you can. if they're super unobservant, raise different amounts with different hands in order to protect your hands different amounts. all sorts of stuff. but yes, you can't complain that you get too many callers when you've got your big hands and you raise AND that you will lose your callers when you raise too much. there has to be some middle number that is just right, right?

Scuba Chuck
10-21-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play in a weakly tournament 30$ buy in the blind start at 5/10 players start with 1700 in chips a raise of 100 is a sure way to get in to a fammily pot im constantly getting drawn out on and im pulling my hair out. tight agressive just isnt working here please help!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's a possibility that you don't understand what tight aggressive play is. What hands and how often are you raising to 100. Also, are you first to raise to 100? For example, you have KK on the button, and there's an ep raise to t30, and 3 callers (t30 each), and you raise to 100, and all 4 call. This is an inexcusable mistake. KK certainly does not care for a multiway pot. A raise to 225-300 here is far more appropriate.

Anyway, my first inclination is that you are either not truly playing a TAG style, or that you are not playing position correctly.

Scuba

betgo
10-21-2005, 01:55 PM
If you raise with AK/AQ and get 4 callers, I would pretty much be done with this unless you make top pair.

You might play strong hands for a limpraise early on, if the pot usually raised with overbet raises and calls.

You will gain a lot just by not calling 10xBB raises like everyone else. If you can get in fairly cheaply with speculative hands do so.

Mainly you just want to wait to get payed off with big hands. Later on, when the play tightens up, play more aggressively.

Against real loose fish early on, I am not sure tight aggressive is best. Try to get the money in ahead, but I wouldn't usually play aggressively to steal or narrow the field.

10-21-2005, 02:00 PM
what about post flop play...he is complaining about suck outs. if you cant get them out on a very big preflop raise (almost 7BB), then maybe you are getting too attached to your hands. what might appear to be worthy of a 100 preflop raise may turn to rags after the flop...