PDA

View Full Version : bottom set on ugly board

ericlambi
10-21-2005, 11:08 AM
PP $100NL. Full Ring. I'm on button with 22. One player limps, I limp, SB completes, BB checks. Flop:

234r

SB bets $2. BB calls $2. Limper folds. I raise to $7. SB pushes for ~$100 total, BB folds. We have about the same stack size.

WTF? I have no specific reads. In similar circumstances in the past I've seen everything from 66 to two pair, OESD + pair, made straight, or a higher set.

I absolutely hate folding sets on the flop. I don't know that I've ever done it. There's so few hands that beat me here . . . 33 44 and 56, but the chances that he has one of them after his push go up quite a bit.

I'm not that invested in this pot.

Morrek
10-21-2005, 11:14 AM
I really hate going broke in an unraised pot, especially with a set of 2's... I might find a fold here against that huge overbet, unless he's a huge donk or whatever

10-21-2005, 11:31 AM
what does 243 r mean? Are there two hearts or diamonds on the flop? If he flopped a straight then betting all is a donk play. You would think that he would want some action with anyone on a draw since he would be favorite to win. I would call here because it seems like a fishy overbet. If he has a set over your set then youre just unlucky, if he flopped a straight which i dont think he did, you can catchup to a full house.

10-21-2005, 11:37 AM
the r stands for rainbow, I'm quite sure.

ericlambi
10-21-2005, 11:53 AM
yes, rainbow.

otnemem
10-21-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the r stands for rainbow, I'm quite sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

otnemem
10-21-2005, 11:55 AM
I'd hate to fold here to a slow-played big PP... I can't imagine such an overbet from a made straight or a higher set... Maybe top pair and OESD? To me, though, it really reeks of misplayed pocket pair.

arod15
10-21-2005, 12:01 PM
I'd fold by letting the time expire. I hate giving up on hads like this but it looks like your drawing slim....Right play is to fold...

ericlambi
10-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Results in White:

<font color="white">
I call, do not improve to a full house. Villain shows 56 for nut straight. I'm still not certain why he pushed like that, I took it to mean an overpair or two pair that didn't want anyone drawing. I constantly have to re-learn that when donks overbet a pot they usually have something really good and just can't wait to get their money in.

I am going to try and refrain from calling bets like this without the nuts in the future. Although I doubt I would ever lay down 44 in this instance.
</font>