PDA

View Full Version : MHLHE mod??

DcifrThs
10-21-2005, 11:04 AM
are we the only forum w/o a mod?

probably...but w/ all the crappy posts lately (mine included) we could use one right?

or is it not good to have this forum legislated subjectively as well? I could do w/o the MNpoker type posts (have them simply moved to correct forums would be nice) (and sorry to pick on MNpoker in particular but questions about EV and Variance clearly dont belong ehre).

I think we could use1 mod. maybe 2 if 1 doesn't want to do the work.

maybe James if he'd do it (haven't asked him just throwing it out there)

is being a mod a lot of work? if so then forget this idea b/c our time is too valuable.

just a thought...meant to help clean up this forum a bit and stop or move inane posts...like this one

Barron

TimM
10-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes, and I was even thinking about volunteering to do it.

Moderating this forum would probably be the least work of any of them, it just needs the occasional post moved to the proper forum.

Turning Stone Pro
10-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Not a bad idea. My posts have sucked lately. As long as I can still take ocassional jabs at certain posters, I have no problem with a moderator.

TSP

HiatusOver
10-21-2005, 02:00 PM
I vote NO MOD! Mid-High is old school, keep it that way. If anyone is the mod it should be of the Clarkmeister, AndyFox, Tommy Angelo, JA Sucker, J_V, skp mold. Those guys are old school, those guys have been here for years and know what this place is all about. Personally I think even having one of them as a mod would be bad too. If u bring in one of the hotshot online players it would be a complete disaster. Let Mid-High evolve by itself like it has succesfully for years.

TimM
10-21-2005, 02:17 PM
I agree, this forum is almost perfect the way it is. The only things a mod would be needed for is to do things like:

Move the 5/10 UB post to SS.
Delete the DC home game post that was spammed to 8 forums.
Move the gambit2323 post where the guy is claiming to play 50/100 just to get an answer to a basic odds/outs question.

Pretty much nothing else that I can see right now unless a lot of people complained about it.

HiatusOver
10-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Well the worst thing about Mod forums IMO is the stickies at the top page...if we can do it with no stickies I guess a passive mod couldnt hurt that much. It just scares me to give anyone on this forum power over another

bobbyi
10-21-2005, 02:26 PM
I think a mod would be good, but he should be very hands-off. It sounds like that's what others think too. He should only use mod powers in cases where everyone who frequents this forum would agree they are clearly needed like moving posts that obviously don't belong here to the right forum (e.g., when someone posts an NL hand or something that definitely belongs on small stakes) and deleting blantant spam (and banning the spammer).

stigmata
10-21-2005, 02:27 PM
I agree, I think a totally stand-offish, almost invisible moderator or two would be a good thing.

10-21-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I vote NO MOD! Mid-High is old school, keep it that way. If anyone is the mod it should be of the Clarkmeister, AndyFox, Tommy Angelo, JA Sucker, J_V, skp mold. Those guys are old school, those guys have been here for years and know what this place is all about. Personally I think even having one of them as a mod would be bad too. If u bring in one of the hotshot online players it would be a complete disaster. Let Mid-High evolve by itself like it has succesfully for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I change my vote? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

DcifrThs
10-21-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well the worst thing about Mod forums IMO is the stickies at the top page...if we can do it with no stickies I guess a passive mod couldnt hurt that much. It just scares me to give anyone on this forum power over another

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think any of the regulars' posts would be altered or moved in any way. i didn't nominate the old school crowd b/c its a burden, albeit a slight one. why should they have to do the brunt work? let james do it if he wants. its literally a 5min/day job and i think somebody like him can swing it.

just move stupid/bad/useless crap to where it belongs. thats it. no stickies needed...its like a housekeeper coming to clean up a barely used apartment: all she has to do is dust and mop/sweep and vacuum...in and out, 20 minutes...

Barron

scott8
10-21-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm gonna miss Tex. . .

James282
10-21-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your implying that I am a "hotshot" online player. That said, I don't want to be a mod, but thanks anyways Barron. I don't really care about the forum enough to do that...but neither do skp, J_V, or half the people you mentioned. Being an effective mod is more work than Barron implies, and I think that an internet player who peruses the forum a lot would do the best job. Misplayed nostalgia is corny Hiatus, there is absolutely no reason that an online player couldn't do a good job moderating this forum. Saying it would be a disaster is laughable and makes you look like a brown noser.
-James

J.A.Sucker
10-21-2005, 02:49 PM
I agree with you about the mods (or lack thereof). The interesting hands tend to get looks, the boring ones get bumped off - Darwinism at its finest. I can tell you that I'm not doing it, and I suspect that Clark won't either. I think you'd be a good one, though, but I don't think you'll do it, either.

NLSoldier
10-21-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I was even thinking about volunteering to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

MNpoker
10-21-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I could do w/o the MNpoker type posts (have them simply moved to correct forums would be nice) (and sorry to pick on MNpoker in particular but questions about EV and Variance clearly dont belong ehre).

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did I ask a question about Variance or EV?

I was not even the first person to bring up variance in that thread (nor did I start the thread). I was responding to someone else who did bring up variance.

Sorry, I assumed that the folks at 2+2 ran this forum. If I'm wrong and I should answer to you let me know.

The thread you are refering to is one of the most replied to threads in the last couple days. I'm sorry if you didn't like it, but apparently others didn't have the same problem with the thread you did.

You obviously spent time in the thread with your post. You actually split one of my posts into three pieces to add a completely worthless post that playing Blackjack is not positive EV. Thanks. If the thread bothered you so much why respond?

Why not send me a PM (obviously I'm new here) or say it in THAT thread? To start a new thread claiming that I am wrecking the forum is anal at best.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

DcifrThs
10-21-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I could do w/o the MNpoker type posts (have them simply moved to correct forums would be nice) (and sorry to pick on MNpoker in particular but questions about EV and Variance clearly dont belong ehre).

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did I ask a question about Variance or EV?

I was not even the first person to bring up variance in that thread (nor did I start the thread). I was responding to someone else who did bring up variance.

Sorry, I assumed that the folks at 2+2 ran this forum. If I'm wrong and I should answer to you let me know.

The thread you are refering to is one of the most replied to threads in the last couple days. I'm sorry if you didn't like it, but apparently others didn't have the same problem with the thread you did.

You obviously spent time in the thread with your post. You actually split one of my posts into three pieces to add a completely worthless post that playing Blackjack is not positive EV. Thanks. If the thread bothered you so much why respond?

Why not send me a PM (obviously I'm new here) or say it in THAT thread? To start a new thread claiming that I am wrecking the forum is anal at best.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

look at the timing. i obviously stated that before you said you knew what they were.

anyways, as you can tell from the other replies and the fact i just used your post as an EXAMPLE, i didn't say nor imply you"wrecked the forum."

and you're welcome. jeez.

Barron

HiatusOver
10-21-2005, 03:29 PM
James I never said anything about u in any post, sorry if u thought I was implying anything. I knew u would never be the mod, I am suprised Barron thought u would be. Online hot shot was about the most general thing I have ever said in my life...maybe hot shot was a bad choice of words...basically I was saying that a newer person to this board shouldnt be the mod and be able to come in and have say over the people who built this place. I like nostalgia Mid-High, mostly because 3 years ago when only B&M stuff was discussed on this board is when I learned the most from this site. Not sure why u just turned against me anyways, I am one of the good guys!

elindauer
10-21-2005, 03:31 PM
I think I know what you (and I) want from posts in this forum, I'm online often as I play poker from home, and I'd be willing to do it. I'd be particularly reluctant to touch anything posted by someone who frequently contributes to the forum. I don't have a problem with the occassional joke post or changeup from the traditional post-a-hand posts.

I think multiple mods are useful though as people go on vacation etc. Provided someone is moderating correctly, multiple mods should only serve to provide complete coverage. I'd like to see lots of trusted posters have this ability. We can always take it back, after all.

my 2 cents.
eric

James282
10-21-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
James I never said anything about u in any post, sorry if u thought I was implying anything. I knew u would never be the mod, I am suprised Barron thought u would be. Online hot shot was about the most general thing I have ever said in my life...maybe hot shot was a bad choice of words...basically I was saying that a newer person to this board shouldnt be the mod and be able to come in and have say over the people who built this place. I like nostalgia Mid-High, mostly because 3 years ago when only B&M stuff was discussed on this board is when I learned the most from this site. Not sure why u just turned against me anyways, I am one of the good guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey hiatus, not turning against you, but since I was the only one explicitly mentioned in Barron's post, and you said "having an online hotshot would be a disaster" I thought you were referring to me. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Peace,
James

Sponger15SB
10-21-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey hiatus, not turning against you, but since I was the only one explicitly mentioned in Barron's post, and you said "having an online hotshot would be a disaster" I thought you were referring to me. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Peace,
James

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if nobody thought of you as a "hotshot online player" before this thread, there are a few that most certainly do now.

Sorry James the world doesn't revolve around you. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HiatusOver
10-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Understood...btw, since when did "online hotshot" become so derogatory? When I think of an online hotshot its usually some young guy his is very good at online poker and has tons of money

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Peace,
James

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if nobody thought of you as a "hotshot online player" before this thread, there are a few that most certainly do now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If James' title isn't changed to online hotshot in the next 24 hours, I will lose faith in the entire moderating system.

stoxtrader
10-21-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Peace,
James

[/ QUOTE ]

*hugs*

DcifrThs
10-21-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nobody turned against you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

in terms of the learning curve, mine was at its steepest going through the old archives when it was just those guys you remember (maybe 30 total) talked about hands and theories and having LL run #s alongside Abdul. the guys who were there and are still here are basically 5-10. just to name a few JASucker, mikel., clark, dynasty, ulysses (shocker), SKP (of course!!), and thats all thats immediately coming to mind. Louis Landale was a favorite to read. anyways [/nostalgia of which i didn't actively participate and only read in the archives]

Barron

bobbyi
10-21-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the guys who were there and are still here are basically 5-10.

[/ QUOTE ]
By "were there" do you mean anyone who lurked and posted on twoplustwo, or only people who were very active in the mid-stakes forum? Because if it's the latter, that seems like a really low estimate; I have been reading this site and posting under different aliases since early 2000 (we didn't have accounts back then) and I don't think I'm that unusual.

James282
10-21-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Peace,
James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha dick, I am assuming you understand why I took it that way since you are making the tonguey face!
-James

DcifrThs
10-21-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the guys who were there and are still here are basically 5-10.

[/ QUOTE ]
By "were there" do you mean anyone who lurked and posted on twoplustwo, or only people who were very active in the mid-stakes forum? Because if it's the latter, that seems like a really low estimate; I have been reading this site and posting under different aliases since early 2000 (we didn't have accounts back then) and I don't think I'm that unusual.

[/ QUOTE ]

i couldn't know if anybody was there as a lurker so inherently the statement implies those who are still currently active.

Barron

James282
10-21-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Understood...btw, since when did "online hotshot" become so derogatory? When I think of an online hotshot its usually some young guy his is very good at online poker and has tons of money

[/ QUOTE ]

In the context you put the term it seemed derogatory, associating it with being a total disaster as a mod /images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyways, just a lack of communication, no big deal.

That said, I'm still in favor of a mod who can lock up stupid and low-brow posts(people overlimping AA for deception and other absurdly "un-midhigh" topics). I think there are plenty of people who could do this quite well, and it would give a lot more incentive for good posters to read and post on the forum.
-James

DcifrThs
10-21-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and it would give a lot more incentive for good posters to read and post on the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding mother [censored] ding.

Barron

10-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Mods are a waste of time.

Your average Joe 1000+ posts doesnt know how to moderate properly.

Are the other forums any better with mods? Definately not

If people used a bit of common sense and just ignored crap threads and dumb posts then there would be no need for even a good mod.

MaxPower
10-21-2005, 10:10 PM
A mod would help a little. We just need someone to move or delete threads that are off topic or those that amount to, "Golly Gee, there sure are a lot of fish in the 15/30 game"

Also, I think James' title should be changed to "Heartbreaker"

sthief09
10-21-2005, 10:38 PM
if there is a mod, it has to be you. you have kinda become papa MHS

sthief09
10-21-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If people used a bit of common sense and just ignored crap threads and dumb posts then there would be no need for even a good mod.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem is that people don't

Klepton
10-22-2005, 12:15 AM
i think this forum is way too egotastic for a mod.

that being said, i nominate myself. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DcifrThs
10-22-2005, 12:41 AM
well 63:29 yay to nay so far so it looks like those who voted want a mod.

id still suggest the mod be very hands off only moving blatently retarded posts (tex style AA etc...)

next question is who?

my best nomiation doesn't want it.

i dont know how matt decides these things but i am going to PM him and ask.

report back to come...

Barron

Mat Sklansky
10-22-2005, 02:02 AM
In reading this particular thread, there is one participant who stands out as the obvious choice. It's the guy in green.

10-22-2005, 02:12 AM
Hey, decifer, be careful up there. I here it's a long way down when you fall off that pedistool of yours.

10-22-2005, 02:19 AM
totally seriously. let it go man. just, let it go.

you're still yapping about me after this much time has passed?

i bet you have a major tilt factor.

dont you have anything else better to whine about?

oh wait, here's a bright idea!

quit whining.

gimme the address i should ship the pacifier to.

[If you are the reason a moderator has been requested here, then we won't have to wait for the turtle's acceptance. I don't [censored] people, but I will ban them.]

luv,

Mat

Steve Giufre
10-22-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In reading this particular thread, there is one participant who stands out as the obvious choice. It's the guy in green.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that doesnt make him blush I'm not sure what will.

durron597
10-22-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mods are a waste of time.

Your average Joe 1000+ posts doesnt know how to moderate properly.

Are the other forums any better with mods? Definately not

[/ QUOTE ]

You are 100% right. I'll unban you now, please take your own advice from now on.

CardSharpCook
10-22-2005, 05:36 AM
I love Tex.

/images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

ethan
10-22-2005, 06:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[If you are the reason a moderator has been requested here, then we won't have to wait for the turtle's acceptance. I don't [censored] people, but I will ban them.]

luv,

Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Keep up the good work.

DeeJ
10-22-2005, 07:11 AM
i voted don't care but clearly the one guy you wouldn't want as a mod would be dcifr with all these spam o/t posts ...

.. oh hold on forget that /images/graemlins/blush.gif yeah he's gonna be gr8 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

stigmata
10-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Ironically, this thread has descended into one of the most useless threads currently on this forum.....

stoxtrader
10-22-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif mat sklansky. perfectly executed.

flawless_victory
10-22-2005, 11:25 AM
now that your a moderator, do ahead and ban MNpoker.

DcifrThs
10-22-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

immediate bannings does not qualify as hands off IMO.

Barron

flawless_victory
10-22-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

immediate bannings does not qualify as hands off IMO.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]quit being such a nit.

sfer
10-22-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, decifer, be careful up there. I here it's a long way down when you fall off that pedistool of yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

decipher
pedestal

durron597
10-22-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are 100% right. I'll unban you now, please take your own advice from now on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops. I should have only quoted this sentence, as it is the part I was saying was 100% right /images/graemlins/smile.gif