PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Norton Ghost 9.0 and cloning an XP drive?

Sifmole
10-21-2005, 11:00 AM
I am trying to clone my XP installation from an old, slow drive to a new larger, faster drive. Last night I spent 6 hours trying ( 2 failed 3 hour efforts ). Both times it reached 99% complete and then decided to fail with this message:

"Error EBAB001A: An unknown exception has occurred (0xEBAB001A)"

Apparently this is supposed to relate to SAN disks or USB type disks -- which I wasn't using and have none attached.

Any ideas or experiences? or suggestions for how to accomplish this cloning? This is not piracy I own the license just want to put it on a new disk.

jnalpak
10-23-2005, 12:20 AM
are you going old to new? you should go old to storage and then storage to new....

are you booting to floppy or through PXE?

JDErickson
10-23-2005, 12:49 AM
it would be much easier to just setup a clean XP install on the new drive and then install your existing drive as a slave. You would get a fresh clean system and only have to reinstall a few programs.

I always suggest that people reinstall a fressh XP once a year.

MyMindIsGoing
10-23-2005, 07:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it would be much easier to just setup a clean XP install on the new drive and then install your existing drive as a slave. You would get a fresh clean system and only have to reinstall a few programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the best thing I read here for a long time. The problem is people do not realize that a fresh installation WILL work alot better than the several year old instllation they now have.

Rick Nebiolo
10-23-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the best thing I read here for a long time. The problem is people do not realize that a fresh installation WILL work alot better than the several year old instllation they now have.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I bought my latest computer last year I used the partitioning strategies and backup strategies using Ghost and other software recommended by Radified (http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_1.htm) in his online blog tech advice site.

Essentially I have two internal hard disks with the WinXP and programs in one partition and partitions for data (music has its own partition on the second hard drive) and partitions dedicated to backup of data, Ghost backups of WinXP and programs, one partition for my page file (not sure this helps speed) and a couple others not that important.

One thing this makes easy is for me to get back to a known good configuration from a dos floppy with Ghost that can access my backups on my second hard drive.

~ Rick