PDA

View Full Version : Fast Food Nation

sfer
10-21-2005, 10:30 AM
I have two copies laying around and I'm having trouble picking a new book to start so I might as well. I like fast food. Sometimes I eat fast food. I would prefer not getting grossed out to the point where I can't enjoy something greasy and overwhelmingly artificial in the future. Have other people who have read the book had their eating habits altered significantly afterward?

GuyOnTilt
10-21-2005, 10:32 AM
I've been wanting to read this for a while now. Let me know how it goes if you do decide to read it.

GoT

kipin
10-21-2005, 10:33 AM
If I remember correctly Bruiser read this book and started a pretty long topic on this a few months ago.

peterchi
nah it won't do that to you. It doesn't go that much into the gross details of ground beef, IIRC.

I definitely cut back on my fast food intake a little bit after reading it, but it wasn't because I could no longer stomach it.

Great book, one of my favorites.

edit: okay maybe it goes into more detail than I remembered. I got confused because I know I learned a lot of the really gross stuff elsewhere.

sfer
[ QUOTE ]
I've been wanting to read this for a while now. Let me know how it goes if you do decide to read it.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me an address and I'll ship you my second copy.

Los Feliz Slim
10-21-2005, 10:34 AM
I know several people who will not have anything to do with fast food after reading this book. It has as much to do with the harm places like McD's are doing to the world in general (rain forests, etc) as with the health aspects of the food.

sfer
10-21-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I remember correctly Bruiser read this book and started a pretty long topic on this a few months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Respond to the tallest/shortest post you freaking sasquatch.

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Let's put it this way, after reading this book, even I gave eating fast food a break. It's a great book. But it shines a horrible light on the beef industry.

kipin
10-21-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Respond to the tallest/shortest post you freaking sasquatch.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK... but I thought it was irrelevant once someone said they were 6'8".

vulturesrow
10-21-2005, 10:40 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I have two copies laying around and I'm having trouble picking a new book to start so I might as well. I like fast food. Sometimes I eat fast food. I would prefer not getting grossed out to the point where I can't enjoy something greasy and overwhelmingly artificial in the future. Have other people who have read the book had their eating habits altered significantly afterward?

[/ QUOTE ]

My mom said it made her never want to eat fast food again.

TheTROLL
10-21-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know several people who will not have anything to do with fast food after reading this book.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, I've eaten there only once every few months since reading it. Basically when the hangover is bad enough to override all other considerations.

[ QUOTE ]
It has as much to do with the harm places like McD's are doing to the world in general (rain forests, etc) as with the health aspects of the food.

[/ QUOTE ]
It goes into this to some degree, but without getting too preachy and disapproving. There's a better treatment of the subject (extending into globalisation/food miles/fair trade etc) in Naomi Klein's 'No Logo' (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0006530400/104-8735904-9001507?v=glance&amp;n=283155&amp;n=507846&amp;s=books&amp;v=glanc e)

samjjones
10-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Yes, they do horrible things to cows, chickens, etc. Do I care much? No. And this is coming from a guy who catches stray cats in the neighborhood and pays out of pocket to have them fixed and released.

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they do horrible things to cows, chickens, etc. Do I care much? No. And this is coming from a guy who catches stray cats in the neighborhood and pays out of pocket to have them fixed and released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read the book?

Reqtech
10-21-2005, 10:44 AM
One of my fondest memories was reading the chapter about slaughterhouse practices while eating a roast beef sammich for lunch at Arby's.

If you're squeemish and easily swayed by propaganda, it may change your habits. It's an interesting book to read, though; I suggest you read it.

Soul Daddy
10-21-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's put it this way, after reading this book, even I gave eating fast food a break.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoa, this is possibly the most telling testimonial I've ever read. They should put this blurb on the back cover.

samjjones
10-21-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read the book?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. But I am aware of how the commercial beef/poultry/pork industries raise their livestock, slaughter, etc.

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read the book?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. But I am aware of how the commercial beef/poultry/pork industries raise their livestock, slaughter, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you are, theres much more to it then that though. A despicable human element of the treatment of personellel, and mad cow related stuff. It really is an excellent read.

KaneKungFu123
10-21-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

link?

samjjones
10-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Well, if reading it was enough to cause an IndieMatty fast food hiatus, I think its best that I avoid this.

HopeydaFish
10-21-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously didn't read the book. It deals more with the harm that the fast food industry does to humans than anything. He visited slaughterhouses, but he deals mostly with the poor working conditions for the workers in these places.

He talks extensively about the plight of potato farmers who are being squeezed by the fast food industry. He also discusses the poor working conditions of fastfood workers, and the lengths that fastfood restaurants have gone to prevent workers from unionizing.

kipin
10-21-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

link?

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked for about five minutes but decided it was not worth spending the entire day looking for it... sorry the search function sucks. (I also tried google to no avail.)

KaneKungFu123
10-21-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously didn't read the book. It deals more with the harm that the fast food industry does to humans than anything. He visited slaughterhouses, but he deals mostly with the poor working conditions for the workers in these places.

He talks extensively about the plight of potato farmers who are being squeezed by the fast food industry. He also discusses the poor working conditions of fastfood workers, and the lengths that fastfood restaurants have gone to prevent workers from unionizing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i bet he voted for kerry.

YetioDoom
10-21-2005, 10:58 AM
I've lost 75 lbs since reading this book. (Obviously it wasn't all due to cutting out fast food.)

The thing that struck me the most:

Ground beef needs to have less than a certain amount of cow [censored] in it - that amount is more than zero.

mslif
10-21-2005, 10:58 AM
I read the book. It was a great read. It definitely gave me a different perspective on the fast food industry. I was never a big fast food eater so my habits have not changed.
You already know that fast food is bad, this book will just explain to you why.

samjjones
10-21-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Per above, I have not read the book. That said, none of the instances you point out would make me re-evaluate my position on the industry, though. Re: potato farmers and fast food employees, grow something else and work someplace else, respectively.

GuyOnTilt
10-21-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Ground beef needs to have less than a certain amount of cow [censored] in it - that amount is more than zero.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

GoT

samjjones
10-21-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've lost 75 lbs since reading this book. (Obviously it wasn't all due to cutting out fast food.)

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why you should cook ground beef &gt; 150 degrees; as so to kill all of the fecal bacteria.

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 11:03 AM
You seem to be coming out reasons/excuses to "not" read the book. I want someone else to reccomend it so you can burst out into tears and tell us how you really never learned to read. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I felt the same way you did, this book didn't necesarily change my mind, but it opened it a bit. Read it.

TheTROLL
10-21-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you thinking of that sentence at the end of a chapter "Yes, there is [censored] in the meat"? I thought the point was that inadequately skilled butchering causes this (failing to remove the intestine whole, basically), rather than it being part of the recipe. Either way, a very striking sentence, and the one that stuck in my mind longest from the whole book.

imported_The Vibesman
10-21-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just fast food, though. There are also acceptable and non-acceptable levels of rat droppings in hot dogs and sausages, for example.

Doesn't stop me from eating them tho.

samjjones
10-21-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You seem to be coming out reasons/excuses to "not" read the book. I want someone else to reccomend it so you can burst out into tears and tell us how you really never learned to read. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I felt the same way you did, this book didn't necesarily change my mind, but it opened it a bit. Read it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I honestly don't have time to read, but will try to make some. I will pick it up from B&amp;N after lunch at Wendy's today.

HopeydaFish
10-21-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That said, none of the instances you point out would make me re-evaluate my position on the industry, though. Re: potato farmers and fast food employees, grow something else and work someplace else, respectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Fast Food employees should just go and become doctors and lawyers if they want better working conditions. How silly of them not to have thought of this before.

Oh, and the farmers, who needs 'em? This is the 21st century, who the [censored] farms anymore?

You have some intriguing ideas. Can I subscribe to your newsletter?

samjjones
10-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Wow, good thing you guys weren't born 100 years earlier, or else you would REALLY be upset with the factory conditions then.

It really does not bother me that there are trace amounts of fecal matter/insects/whatever in the ground meat we purchase. What I find more alarming is that some of you were apparently not aware of these facts before reading this book. What did you think hot dogs were made out of, anyways?

samjjones
10-21-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That said, none of the instances you point out would make me re-evaluate my position on the industry, though. Re: potato farmers and fast food employees, grow something else and work someplace else, respectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Fast Food employees should just go and become doctors and lawyers if they want better working conditions. How silly of them not to have thought of this before.

Oh, and the farmers, who needs 'em? This is the 21st century, who the [censored] farms anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? Do you always play games without knowing the rules beforehand?

StevieG
10-21-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you are, theres much more to it then that though. A despicable human element of the treatment of personellel, and mad cow related stuff. It really is an excellent read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

What bothered me the most was the revelation that the producers slow down the line for meat going to overseas market to meet their requirements. Why shouldn't we have the best standards for meat quality? If we can afford $10B farm subsidy bills, we can afford a small % increase in meat prices to ensure a safer meat supply.

There were also good chapters on the extent to which the fast food industry targets children in marketing, and soft drinks have penetrated school systems.

The book is thought provoking and worth reading.

diebitter
10-21-2005, 11:17 AM
mmmmmmmmmm....ground beef.....

El Ishmael
10-21-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm sorry, but you're retarded if you don't know what's going on with McDonalds without reading this book (not you, OP). The book is somewhat entertaining IMO, although Reefer Madness is better, but it won't alter your eating at all. Worth reading if you have a weekend to spare.

And I don't understand some of the responses. Clearly nobody gave up fast food entirely, forever, after reading this book. If you did you're a grade A [censored]. So what does "cutting back" do exactly? Were you not aware that it's unhealthy?

HopeydaFish
10-21-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? Do you always play games without knowing the rules beforehand?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are obviously one of the great sociological minds of our time. You're right, service industry workers deserve every indignity that our society can heap on them. It's their own fault for choosing that line of work. It must seem amazing to you that anyone chooses to work in anything but the highest-paying white collar jobs. After all, it's all just a matter of choice, isn't it?

samjjones
10-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Nah, I guess they can always sit home and collect unemployment instead. Why not? We're paying. Thats obviously a better alternative, rather than "degrading" themselves by performing some menial service-related task. Wouldn't want to offend them.

SomethingClever
10-21-2005, 11:40 AM
I read it; I still eat fast food from time to time.

It's a good read.

MarkL444
10-21-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

link?

[/ QUOTE ]

the thread in mention is actually for a book called "diet for a new america"

a very similar book that sorta sheds the light on the meat industry as a whole instead of focusing on fast food industries.

sfer- read the book, its very enlightening to learn the details. it doesn't have to change anything. if you enjoy it, maybe look into the book i mention above. also, give your extra copy of FFN away. someone could use it.

MarkL444
10-21-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
although Reefer Madness is better

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious why you like reefer madness more. Is it mainly because you feel FFN is mostly obvious? Personally I think Reefer Madness drags on pretty bad at some spots. Maybe he's drilling the points home too hard.

tonypaladino
10-21-2005, 12:33 PM
read it.

i read it about 5 years ago when it first came out and reread it last year. i still eat mcdonalds.

watching supersize me is much more likely to make you stop eating fast food.

tonypaladino
10-21-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, good thing you guys weren't born 100 years earlier, or else you would REALLY be upset with the factory conditions then.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, just read the jungle by upton sinclair afterwards for some perspective

MarkL444
10-21-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but you're retarded if you don't know what's going on with McDonalds without reading this book

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting comment. I think you're a little off base here. I would say that there are many, many people who really have no idea about the "behind the scenes" mcdonalds (etc). Specifically, the younger and older crowds. That doesn't mean they're retarded. The corporations DO go to some extent to cover these things up after all.

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly nobody gave up fast food entirely, forever, after reading this book.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? How do you know this. I would expect there are lots of people who actually did quit cold turkey. Although even if all you do is cut down, that still IS important.

[ QUOTE ]
So what does "cutting back" do exactly? Were you not aware that it's unhealthy?

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon now you're smarter than that. Clearly there's a differnce between eating fast food once a week for its convenience and eating it every day.

MarkL444
10-21-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you're squeemish and easily swayed by propaganda, it may change your habits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this how you convince yourself it's ok?

MarkL444
10-21-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, if reading it was enough to cause an IndieMatty fast food hiatus, I think its best that I avoid this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such an amazing thing to say. So there's something so horrible for you, yet it means so much to you that you will go out of your way not to learn *in detail* why it's so bad for you. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

evil_twin
10-21-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Re: potato farmers and fast food employees, grow something else and work someplace else, respectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear.

Wintermute
10-21-2005, 12:52 PM
The book made me laugh more than anything. Very poorly written.

Reqtech
10-21-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you're squeemish and easily swayed by propaganda, it may change your habits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this how you convince yourself it's ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It's not like I get fast food more than twice a month anyways, and I didn't need a totally one-sided 300 page anti-fast food/franchise-in-general propaganda pamphlet to get me to that point.

MarkL444
10-21-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird, I've never heard anyone else say this. It's based on research, what do you want?

El Ishmael
10-21-2005, 01:10 PM
I don't see why cutting down is very relevant if you're not quitting fast food forever. You're acknowledging that god knows what is being put into the food... so you eat it twice a week instead of five times a week? What's the difference?

Evan
10-21-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why cutting down is very relevant if you're not quitting fast food forever. You're acknowledging that god knows what is being put into the food... so you eat it twice a week instead of five times a week? What's the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're an idiot.

Evan
10-21-2005, 01:21 PM
This thread is making me hungry. I'm going to Shake Shack.

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it still open?! I want shake shack!!

Evan
10-21-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, it's open til December 23rd or something. Want to leave work and meet me there?

MarkL444
10-21-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so you eat it twice a week instead of five times a week? What's the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

about 3 times.

samjjones
10-21-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such an amazing thing to say. So there's something so horrible for you, yet it means so much to you that you will go out of your way not to learn *in detail* why it's so bad for you. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

[/ QUOTE ] Oh Brother... (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sarcasm)

StevieG
10-21-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird, I've never heard anyone else say this. It's based on research, what do you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Not only is it documented, but I found his style enjoyable. The account of his trip to the McDonald's french fry factory that ends "when I finised, I asked for more" (or something like that) was quite good.

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, it's open til December 23rd or something. Want to leave work and meet me there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tempting. Very. But I can't take an hour+ for lunch today. The working man's a sucker.

MarkL444
10-21-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Oh Brother... (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sarcasm)

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I missed that but I've found some of the things youve said in this thread pretty stupid. My bad.

clambunny
10-21-2005, 01:41 PM
The book was A Diet For A New America (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0915811812/102-6766082-2217753?v=glance&amp;n=283155&amp;s=books&amp;v=glance), a phenominal book. Fast Food Nation is good too, much better than the vaccuous "Super Size Me".

DeezNuts
10-21-2005, 01:50 PM
I felt the book was more a comment on how much the fast food industry has permeated our society and contributed to a number of problems within and, through globalization, there is no end in sight. There are chapters on the preparation of the meat, the harsh working conditions of factory workers, etc which cast a darker shadow on the industry.

I don't think the Schlosser was too one-sided, he backs up his claims with a LOT of data and researched. I've cut back on fast food recently, but not really because of this book, although it definitely was an influence. It's more a combination of the same reason I don't shop at Wal-Mart and health reasons.

For all the flack that he gives to the fast food industry, I LOVE that he praises one company for the quality of their meat, preparation and freshness of food, and quality of working environment: IN-N-OUT. I think the main effect this book had on me was taking all my business from other fast food joints and giving it to IN-N-OUT. I love living in LA. That's what a hamburger is all about.

DN

samjjones
10-21-2005, 01:53 PM
That's cool. I find ignorance to be pretty stupid.

MarkL444
10-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Im unoriginal, but...

Ulysses
10-21-2005, 03:19 PM
It was pretty good and a pretty quick read. I doubt it'll really gross you out too much. Much of it is stuff you probably know to some degree anyway. His next book, Reefer Madness, sucked IMO.