PDA

View Full Version : Is America ready for Gay Cowboys on the Big Screen?

Talk2BigSteve
10-21-2005, 09:38 AM
http://www.seekyledraw.com/archives/heath_ledger1.jpg

This movie will be out December 9th. There will be people that get tickets just from seeing the poster. Some guys will see it as just another western. Some girls will see that it has 2 of the hottest young actors in it. What they won't see on the poster is the gay side of the movie.

Here is the Trailer Brokeback Mountain (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/trailers-screenplay-E25206-15-3)

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

El Barto
10-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Do you know how many movies feature gay characters these days?

Do you think this is the 1950's?

Oh wait, you live in Mississippi, carry on. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Talk2BigSteve
10-21-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Feturing gay characters and having an entire movie based on that premise are not the same thing.

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Feturing gay characters and having an entire movie based on that premise are not the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boys Don't Cry
Philadelphia
The Birdcage

HBO Miniseries Angels in America

The television show Ellen.

Will and Grace.

That's off the top of my head, I can't even name as many Hispanic features.

Edit: So yeah; I'm pretty sure we can handle it. Again, we're all sorry you live in Miss.

Talk2BigSteve
10-21-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boys Don't Cry
Philadelphia
The Birdcage

Will and Grace.

Edit: So yeah; I'm pretty sure we can handle it. Again, we're all sorry you live in Miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but those movies you know have a gay theme going in, this just looks like another cowboy movie.

Marion Morrison is rolling over in his grave!

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boys Don't Cry
Philadelphia
The Birdcage

Will and Grace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but those movies you know have a gay theme going in, this just looks like another cowboy movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell go's to a movie based on the poster? I'm sure the trailer/commercial/reviews will make a reference to the theme.

On a side note, if Michelle Williams and Ann Hathaway have some sort of lesbian thing going, I might willingly see this.

Talk2BigSteve
10-21-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boys Don't Cry
Philadelphia
The Birdcage

Will and Grace.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell go's to a movie based on the poster? I'm sure the trailer/commercial/reviews will make a reference to the theme.

On a side note, if Michelle Williams and Ann Hathaway have some sort of lesbian thing going, I might willingly see this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think so on lesbian thing....

On a side note, the theater here is owned by Monty Royal who is Captain Christian so it may not even make it to Meridian, Mississippi. But we had "The Passion" on every damn screen for 5 weeks straight. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

exist
10-21-2005, 10:22 AM
who wouldn't want to see a film about gay cowboys eating pudding???

SL__72
10-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Its not a normal cowboy movie where the characters happen to be gay... Its about a gay relationship between two friends... Then one gets married has kids and conflict insues when he sees his "friend" again and they go on a "fishing trip." At least thats what I took from the preview.

swede123
10-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Well.

Based on the preview the movie appears to feature quite a bit of on-screen gay cuddling and kissing and crap. This is what makes me not want to see the movie.

Sure, there's been some good movies made featuring gay people. I really liked Philadelphia and I thought Ed Harris did a good job in The Hours. However, I just don't like to watch a couple of dudes making out and stuff, just like I really don't particularly enjoy watching love scenes between straight people, unless I'm whacking it.

As far as mainstream US, I think it will be a moderate success.

Swede

GuyOnTilt
10-21-2005, 10:41 AM
When I first saw this preview in theatres, I was seriously disgusted with the reactions of the people around me. I was sitting next to these two girls who were friends of friends and they were like laughing and being like, "omg..! so gross..!" etc, and there were similar reactions to be heard and seen from other people in the threatre as well. It seriously made me...angry in some way. Granted these girls and most of the other people I saw react this way were younger and probably somewhat immature, but it still pisses me off.

I don't know if America is "ready" or not, but I think more films or other forms of media showing homosexuals as "real people" and in a positive light is a good thing for America, whether they're ready or not.

GoT

samjjones
10-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Steve, I am very excited to see this. I think this has the potential to be the best "Gay Cowboy" movie ever made!

Peter666
10-21-2005, 11:49 AM
I am sure everybody was seriously disgusted when you began jacking off to Heath Ledger in the middle of the theatre. Queer.

arod15
10-21-2005, 11:53 AM
No No No.....

kurosh
10-21-2005, 11:58 AM
In the trailer, there was a lot of cuddling and close to kissing between the two. While I have nothing against gays, it makes me uncomfortable, for the same reason some gay people find heterosexual activities physically repulsive. The only way I'll be seeing this movie is if my gf forces it upon me, and she might because she really likes gay guys kissing etc. Is America ready for it? Absolutely not. If it hasn't started already, wait for the masses of right-wing Christian rallies and [censored] against the gay media corrupting our children.

xadrez
10-21-2005, 12:01 PM
IMO, behind closed doors the Christian Right is probably watching much worse stuff than this.

More along the lines of "Whos Your Daddy: Little Pink Butt Butts Vols.1-36"

tdarko
10-21-2005, 12:02 PM
i am going to have to switch back to my other avatar when this movie comes out /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Spladle Master
10-21-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I thought when I heard about this movie. South Park is good.

tdarko
10-21-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for the same reason some gay people find heterosexual activities physically repulsive.

[/ QUOTE ]
huh?

10-21-2005, 12:22 PM
The question is who will go and see it with someone

1) Is this a "date movie"
2) Is this a "going with your buddy to the movie" movie.
3) is this a movie that a guy and his wife BOTH pick to go to (out of all the other movies)?
4) Is it a "chick flick"

I am not sure it is going to do well

Earl: Hey Bubba, wanna go see Brokeback Mountain?

Bubba: I dunno, any ninjas or car chases?

Earl, No Bubba, it's the touching story of forbidden man on man love set in the rustic beauty of Montana. The village voice gave it 4 stars

Bubba: Uh, Earl. We can't be friends no more.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

LLL

10-21-2005, 12:23 PM
I can see the tag line now

"Yee Haw, ride-em cowboy!"

SossMan
10-21-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I first saw this preview in theatres, I was seriously disgusted with the reactions of the people around me. I was sitting next to these two girls who were friends of friends and they were like laughing and being like, "omg..! so gross..!" etc, and there were similar reactions to be heard and seen from other people in the threatre as well. It seriously made me...angry in some way. Granted these girls and most of the other people I saw react this way were younger and probably somewhat immature, but it still pisses me off.

I don't know if America is "ready" or not, but I think more films or other forms of media showing homosexuals as "real people" and in a positive light is a good thing for America, whether they're ready or not.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Shajen
10-21-2005, 12:31 PM
The bottom line I think is the movie companies aren't ready for Gay Cowboys on the big screen.

Most of America won't waste their time watching a movie like this because it isn't interesting to them, therefore the movie companies willl LOSE MONEY. They don't give two shits about gays or anything else, it's all about the money.

I personally won't watch it because wtf does being gay have to do with being a cowboy? Not a goddamned thing.

exist
10-21-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I personally won't watch it because wtf does being gay have to do with being a cowboy? Not a goddamned thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. i don't watch any normal cowboy movies either cause the characters are always straight. i mean wtf does being straight have to do with being a cowboy? not a goddamned thing.

El Barto
10-21-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your reaction is unjustified. People have honest reactions to what they like in a relationship. If I were to post a picture of an ugly woman and we got the standard gross-out reactions, that would not mean that those posters are bigoted against ugly girls. Ugly girls just don't fit into their personal preference. The same is true of those people you describe in the theatre.

Stop attributing motives to people who you don't know. We don't need the thought police here, do you presume to know how people should think? Do you presume to have the right to define what relationships people should prefer and how they should react to those they do not prefer?

M2d
10-21-2005, 12:43 PM
we do not need another freakin cowboy movie, gay or not.

GuyOnTilt
10-21-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes no sense to me. Because the movies includes characters who are both cowboys and gay and you think (correcctly) that the two are not correlated, you will not see the movie? That seems completely illogical to me.

Couldn't I make that exact same statement about any movie? I won't see Saving Private Ryan because what does being a solider have to do with being a schoolteacher/having brown hair/being married? Yes, the answer is nothing. But who said they did and what does that question have to do with anything whatsoever?

GoT

Dominic
10-21-2005, 12:46 PM
if it's a good movie, I don't care what the subject matter is.

JackWilson
10-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Obviously I'll go see it, although I hate cowboys in general and these guys are really not my type...but I'll see it because it's interesting and different. The title would have been better as "Bareback Mountain" tho. Seriously...Brokeback? WTF is that?

Shajen
10-21-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This makes no sense to me. Because the movies includes characters who are both cowboys and gay and you think (correcctly) that the two are not correlated, you will not see the movie? That seems completely illogical to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never claimed to be logical. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I have not seen the previews. I just simply don't have an interest in seeing this movie, mainly because I imagine the central theme will be about them being gay.

My personal take on gay/lesbians is who gives a [censored] if you are gay or not? Does it impact me? No? Ok then. So, if this is indeed central to the movie, I won't watch it, because I don't care.

M2d
10-21-2005, 12:50 PM
gay cowboys in Montana? were the sheep not available?

El Barto
10-21-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gay cowboys in Montana? were the sheep not available?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, is this a Ray Zee bio pic? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

GuyOnTilt
10-21-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think your reaction is unjustified. People have honest reactions to what they like in a relationship. If I were to post a picture of an ugly woman and we got the standard gross-out reactions, that would not mean that those posters are bigoted against ugly girls. Ugly girls just don't fit into their personal preference. The same is true of those people you describe in the theatre.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right that those are really the same thing. The thing is I'm not sure I'm comfortable/happy/whatever with how our current society as a whole treats either of those groups of people. Would I have had the same reaction if it were ugly chicks instead? Probably not. But I just do not like how our society as a whole puts on a nice face and everything when these people are around, and then loves to laugh at the very thought of them when they're not.

Also, I should've used past-tense in all my wording. It made me upset at the time for whatever reason. I probably couldn't convey exactly why, but I would guess it has a lot to do with the religion on the two girls sitting next to me. They are "Christian" girls and that probably had a lot to do with the emotions their reactions made me feel.

You are definitely right that personal preference is nothing that I should be angered or whatever though.

GoT

Georgia Avenue
10-21-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm planning on seeing it just for the possibility that someone might have gone to it thinking it was just another horse-riding movie.
OR that somone might have thought they were going to this:
http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/6087/heathledger117rh.jpg

tonypaladino
10-21-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what are the odds that south park studios put this movie out as a joke?

swede123
10-21-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree Dominic, and the subject matter is definitely not the reason I have no inclination to see this film. However, based on the previews it seems like this movie is going to feature more gay cuddling/making out/sex than I personally care to see. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive when it comes to homosexual PDA but that's me.

10-21-2005, 01:39 PM
My wife and I were in a theater in Times Square when a preview for this came on. The liberal-as-hell New York crowd was noticeably disgusted by the premise of the movie (as were we). If this movie can't survive a preview in New York City, there is no way it can play in most parts of the US.

When Republicans talk about a "secret Hollywood cabal" or the "conspiracy of the liberal media", this movie should feature front and center. Subtly pro-homosexual movies like American Beauty may slide under the radar, but this one has "liberal indoctrination" written all over it.

Finally, although Im reluctant to say so, the gay rights movement should realize that if they want to get their agenda moved forward, they should learn that lipstick lesbians are a much more palatable form of homosexuality in America. If they can succeed in mainstreaming lipstick lesbianism, the male homosexuals can bootstrap onto those gains.

This will never happen, however. Gays will continue to model their political movements after the ACT-UP model of militant, in-your-face male homosexuality, and they will consequently continue to be marginalized. And Democrats will continue to support gay causes, and thus concede the "family values" debate ad infinitum.

imported_The Vibesman
10-21-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm not going to see this film because it looks like it has a lot of talking in it. A lot of talking, and thinking, some crying, and wishing, and yearning for a love that will never be, and a whole bunch of other crap that I think takes away from valuable shooting-people-blowing-things-up-car-racing-wise-cracking-vampire-gangster scene time. I wouldn't see the same movie if it had a man and a woman as a lead, or two lipstick lesbians, or two bull dykes, a bull dyke and a man, a bull and a man, or any other combinations of characters, because it looks like the kind of movie that bores the crap outta me. Them being gay doesn't really figure into it for me.

*some portions of this rant were inspired by comedian Richard Jeni. -ed.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I'll go see it, although I hate cowboys in general and these guys are really not my type...but I'll see it because it's interesting and different. The title would have been better as "Bareback Mountain" tho. Seriously...Brokeback? WTF is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bareback refers to screwing without a condom. This would be a bad title for a gay movie.

swede123
10-21-2005, 01:51 PM
You really got me pegged there, Tribesman. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Swede

imported_The Vibesman
10-21-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You really got me pegged there, Tribesman. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I was really just saying how I felt about it...film looks like a snoozefest, no matter who's cuddling in it.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 02:03 PM
I've had many gay friends and even roommates, and get along fine with them, but I'm not particularly interested in their sex lives. Because of that, this movie sounds uninteresting to me. I really don't care what people do with their gonads, straight or gay, and don't particularly care for either gay or straight make-out scenes. They seem like a waste of movie time to me, and romance seems to be crammed into movies it doesn't belong in, more often than not. I don't even like the romance in chick flick films usually, and am even less interested in seeing the gay version.

If anyone can make a successful movie, great. Even better if it's good. But we all have different tastes in movies, and a romantic drama between gays sounds like it will appeal to a small number of people, and not just because of the gays. Maybe if it was gay sci-fi or a gay urban thriller or something, it would help. Isn't it about time for America to accept a gay guy getting chased down a hallway by an exploding fireball? If I'm going to see any weepy drama, and I'm probably not, I'm going to be passing on the gay ones. I have doubts that this one will make much money.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife and I were in a theater in Times Square when a preview for this came on. The liberal-as-hell New York crowd was noticeably disgusted by the premise of the movie (as were we). If this movie can't survive a preview in New York City, there is no way it can play in most parts of the US.

When Republicans talk about a "secret Hollywood cabal" or the "conspiracy of the liberal media", this movie should feature front and center. Subtly pro-homosexual movies like American Beauty may slide under the radar, but this one has "liberal indoctrination" written all over it.

Finally, although Im reluctant to say so, the gay rights movement should realize that if they want to get their agenda moved forward, they should learn that lipstick lesbians are a much more palatable form of homosexuality in America. If they can succeed in mainstreaming lipstick lesbianism, the male homosexuals can bootstrap onto those gains.

This will never happen, however. Gays will continue to model their political movements after the ACT-UP model of militant, in-your-face male homosexuality, and they will consequently continue to be marginalized. And Democrats will continue to support gay causes, and thus concede the "family values" debate ad infinitum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm waiting to watch someone else tear a few pieces out of this one.

imported_The Vibesman
10-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Eddie Dane, one of the gangsters in Miller's Crossing is gay; same with Willem Dafoe's FBI agent in Boondock Saints. Neither is the focal point of the movie, but their homosexuality is definitely in the open (in the Dane's case, it's integral to the plot; in Dafoe's case, necessary for his character.) I think these are two really cool characters in two really cool movies.

Not sure what my point is.

xorbie
10-21-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The liberal-as-hell New York crowd was noticeably disgusted by the premise of the movie (as were we).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not very liberal, then? By the way this whole post sucked.

xadrez
10-21-2005, 02:13 PM
You are obviously closeted and miserable. Have fun!

imported_The Vibesman
10-21-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm waiting to watch someone else tear a few pieces out of this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes my head hurt just trying to decide where to start.

Not even quoting it here, because reprinting that garbage is a waste of text.

chuddo
10-21-2005, 02:24 PM
http://www.randyjonesworld.com/images/rjtree.jpg

10-21-2005, 02:37 PM
I find the whole gay rights issue amusing. Polls consistently suggest that gay rights is a loser issue for Democrats, just like gun control. By picking up on this orphan issue, the Democrats get no constituency but they energize the opposition, i.e., evangelicals. (The same is true with gun control... the Million Mom/Sarah Brady crowd doens't vote gun control as its main issue, but the NRA crowd does). If the democrats would go back to the old class warfare game where they work for union guys, oppose free trade, and soak the rich, they'd go a lot further in national politics. Gay rights is an issue whose time will never come in the US, much to the chagrin of Hollywood opinionmakers.

By the way, while my post may seem anti-gay, it really isnt (other than the fact that I find watching male homosexual displays of affection to be repulsive. But Im just being honest here.) Im actually fairly libertarian in my views, and certainly dont support anti-sodomy laws and such nonsense. If gays want to engage in consensual homosexual relations, that's their business. What I generally object to about the gay rights movement is the intensely evangelical quality of it--the effort to "mainstream" the behavior such as advocating the use of books like Heather has Two Mommies, Daddy's Roommate, etc. in public schools, calling the Boy Scouts of America a "hate organization" (akin to the KKK) because of its exclusion of homosexuals, ridiculously inappropriate public displays of their homosexuality, etc.

While my opinions may not reflect those of today's college age kids (i.e., many of the 2p2 posters), they do represent the majority views of most Americans living outside of the major east and west coast cities. Also, and again Im generalizing here--the male homosexual community really is an antisocial community, not entirely dissimilar from the underclass black community. Male homosexuals are highly promiscuous, engage in risky behavior such as crystal meth addiction, have far higher HIV/STD infection rates, continue to engage in "risky sex" despite two decades of public education, etc. Objectively speaking, this sort of behavior is very out of the norm for American society.

If any sub-community (gays, underclass blacks, etc.) collectively engages in a higher degree of antisocial behavior, they will be singled out and ostracized by the larger community. Going back to my point about lesbians being more palatable in America--yes, part of this happens to come from the fact that many heterosexual men are turned on by lipstick lesbians, and some heterosexual women are at at least indifferent to the practice. But another reason that lesbians are more "acceptable" is because they dont, in general, engage in the same anti-social behavior as male homosexuals do. Lesbians tend to be much more monogamous, rooted in their community as homeowners, etc.

Although Im sure my opinions are unpopular here, the anti-gay sentiment in the united states has as much to do with the failings of that community, as it does with evangelical christians dictating some kind of bible-based morality.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 02:42 PM
The Boy Scouts excludes atheists, too, not just gays. It's not a very modern organization.

10-21-2005, 02:48 PM
You may not like the Boy Scouts, but they are very much part of the traditional fabric of American society. (Personally, I stopped after Cub Scouts, but my impression is that the Boy Scouts is generally a very positive organization that fosters stronger families, patriotism, volunteer community works, etc.) Speaking of athiests, I happen to be one. But that said, I think religion is a great thing, and I wish more people in this country (myself included) were church goers. Judeo-Christian morality is a very positive force for a society, at least when moderated by secular institutions like democracy, respect for minority/individual rights, etc. But I wasnt raised in the church, and I just cant get over the whole "God doesn't exist" problem.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I don't give a [censored] what they're part of the fabric of. And I don't give a rat's ass what you think about religion.

Nothing personal.

swede123
10-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Blarg, don't get angry with the world just because you suck at Civ.

Swede

10-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Im just trying to defuse the accusation that Im an evangelican christian on an anti-gay crusade.

As for your statement that you dont care about traditional american values--well, Im not sure how to answer that.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blarg, don't get angry with the world just because you suck at Civ.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

xadrez
10-21-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't give a [censored] what they're part of the fabric of. And I don't give a rat's ass what you think about religion.

Nothing personal.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

Blarg
10-21-2005, 03:04 PM
What you should take from it is that different people look at the world different ways, and that what seems to be your assumption that your way is clearly greatly superior is extremely egocentric, even were it right. Which, of course, those who disagree with you are not willing to grant; they may even find the idea absurd. But not as absurd as the idea that tradition alone or that an idea simply happens to fall in line with your own grants any of idea any greater value. Remember that line about history being a long nightmare from which we are trying to awaken? Aligning yourself with tradition isn't necessarily quite the selling point you may believe it is. And a my way or the highway way of looking at things and people, frankly, sucks. Sometimes it's well past time that tradition went and [censored] itself, along with all the smug people proud of their resolve to keep as many people as possible out.

10-21-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Remember that line about history being a long nightmare from which we are trying to awaken? Aligning yourself with tradition isn't necessarily quite the selling point you may believe it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tradition certainly was a lousy compass in 1860 in the South.

I just dont think that the larger society as a whole should have to accomodate the radical gay agenda in the name of "inclusion" or "respect for the individual" or whatever label they choose to hide behind.

When gays start acting like normal people, and not like a bunch of freaks, I'll be the first one saying they should be afforded the rights of the majority group. Until that happens, we can all look down on them as a bunch of antisocial perverts.

By the way, gay marriage isn't a terrible idea to the extent that it encourages gays to behave more like normal citizens. Monogamy is good. Polygamy, polyandry, promiscuity is bad.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 03:22 PM
I already had said I wanted to sit back from this one, so I'm going to take that option now. I could see this going on forever.

10-21-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
for the same reason some gay people find heterosexual activities physically repulsive.

[/ QUOTE ]
huh?

[/ QUOTE ]
Just a guess... but I'd guess that most gay people are NOT repulsed by heterosexual activities. The difference, is that gays have grown up seeing straight cowboy movies, but straight people haven't seen too many gay cowboy movies. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10-21-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Is this a "date movie"

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're gay, I suppose. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
2) Is this a "going with your buddy to the movie" movie.

Earl: Hey Bubba, wanna go see Brokeback Mountain?

Bubba: I dunno, any ninjas or car chases?

Earl, No Bubba, it's the touching story of forbidden man on man love set in the rustic beauty of Montana. The village voice gave it 4 stars

Bubba: Uh, Earl. We can't be friends no more.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!! Hahahahah!! Probably not a "buddy" movie. Unless they are suppressed gay cowboy buddies. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10-21-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. i don't watch any normal cowboy movies either cause the characters are always straight. i mean wtf does being straight have to do with being a cowboy? not a goddamned thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

On a serious note, the movie depicting gay cowboys is somewhat significant... moreso than gay hair-dressers or gay fashion designers. Dontcha think?

Jdanz
10-21-2005, 04:08 PM
what the hell does that mean, what are "the gays" forcing you to do?

How is their citizenship unnormal?

tdarko
10-21-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just a guess... but I'd guess that most gay people are NOT repulsed by heterosexual activities. The difference, is that gays have grown up seeing straight cowboy movies, but straight people haven't seen too many gay cowboy movies.

[/ QUOTE ]
i know exactly why they aren't repulsed, just wondering where kurosh is coming up with this stuff?

according to kurosh this is now one of the few movies big steve is not repulsed by since any heterosexual activity (that happens to be in every movie) makes him sick.

Dex
10-21-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When gays start acting like normal people, and not like a bunch of freaks

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sample size is too small.

10-21-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had many gay friends and even roommates, and get along fine with them, but I'm not particularly interested in their sex lives. Because of that, this movie sounds uninteresting to me. I really don't care what people do with their gonads, straight or gay, and don't particularly care for either gay or straight make-out scenes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you can ask your gay friends what they think about this movie? I'll reserve judgement until I see it, but I don't think this movie is about gay sex. It's about gay guys that for social/cultural reasons don't pursue a relationship with each other, but instead get married to women. There are a lot of gay guys that do this. I don't think that's a good thing... for the guys, or for the women that end up in those relationships.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe if it was gay sci-fi or a gay urban thriller or something, it would help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like this: Hellbent (http://imdb.com/title/tt0356159/)

10-21-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find the whole gay rights issue amusing. Polls consistently suggest that gay rights is a loser issue for Democrats, just like gun control.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 1967, 80% of Americans thought that interracial marriage was immoral. The supreme court ruled that prohibiting interracial marriage was violating the equal-protection & due process clauses of the 14th Amendment.

Sometimes, the right thing is not the popular thing.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 04:27 PM
It seems clear it's highly concentrated on gay issues. I'm not interested in those. I'm not particularly interested what my gay friends think about it, either, any more than I am in a woman's telling me about Sleepless in Seattle. I hear it's great, and I've had ten years or so to see it, but haven't, and probably never will. People like their thing and that's cool, but that doesn't make me any more interested in it.

Talk2BigSteve
10-21-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line I think is the movie companies aren't ready for Gay Cowboys on the big screen.

Most of America won't waste their time watching a movie like this because it isn't interesting to them, therefore the movie companies willl LOSE MONEY. They don't give two shits about gays or anything else, it's all about the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

They actually do care about the gays, because as you see in advertising it is all about the money, most gays have larger disposable incomes because they don't have families to spend it on.

Shajen
10-21-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They actually do care about the gays, because as you see in advertising it is all about the money, most gays have larger disposable incomes because they don't have families to spend it on.

[/ QUOTE ]

What percentage of the population is gay? Anyone have any ideas?

MonkeeMan
10-21-2005, 04:33 PM
http://www.seekyledraw.com/archives/heath_ledger1.jpg

WTF, is that the Grand Tetons in the background?

Talk2BigSteve
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What percentage of the population is gay? Anyone have any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gays will say it is about 15%

Straights will say it is 4-5%

So a good estimate is around 10%

[ QUOTE ]
I just dont think that the larger society as a whole should have to accomodate the radical gay agenda in the name of "inclusion" or "respect for the individual" or whatever label they choose to hide behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

What radical gay agenda is that?

[ QUOTE ]
When gays start acting like normal people, and not like a bunch of freaks, I'll be the first one saying they should be afforded the rights of the majority group.

[/ QUOTE ]

The majority of gay people are not the ones you see in the gay pride parades. That'd be like thinking most girls are like those at Mardi Gras or the "Girls Gone Wild" films. Well, the difference, of course, is that most guys wouldn't be offended by those.

10-21-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems clear it's highly concentrated on gay issues. I'm not interested in those. I'm not particularly interested what my gay friends think about it, either...

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if one of your gay friends feels pressured by society to get married to a woman... even though he probably will never be happy in that relationship... would you care? It's a gay issue.

I'm not saying you should see this movie... I'm just saying that it may very well be portraying an issue that is much more profound, and relevant to gays and friends of gays, than gay sex.

Talk2BigSteve
10-21-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Remember that line about history being a long nightmare from which we are trying to awaken? Aligning yourself with tradition isn't necessarily quite the selling point you may believe it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tradition certainly was a lousy compass in 1860 in the South.

When gays start acting like normal people, and not like a bunch of freaks, I'll be the first one saying they should be afforded the rights of the majority group. Until that happens, we can all look down on them as a bunch of antisocial perverts.

By the way, gay marriage isn't a terrible idea to the extent that it encourages gays to behave more like normal citizens. Monogamy is good. Polygamy, polyandry, promiscuity is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Come to think of it I never have seen a Heterosexual Freak before. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also can you define NORMAL in the context of your statement.

Shajen
10-21-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So a good estimate is around 10%

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, then if most gays go see it, it should do well. I guess we will see.

Manque
10-21-2005, 04:46 PM
What exactly are "Christian" girls?

Talk2BigSteve
10-21-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What exactly are "Christian" girls?

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as they gargle with the Holy Water afterwards, they are ok! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Manque
10-21-2005, 04:48 PM
They are also eating aborted children and copulating with goats. All behind closed doors of course.

xadrez
10-21-2005, 04:53 PM
obviously!

Manque
10-21-2005, 04:53 PM
I think a movie depicting gay cowboys is about as significant as one depicting gay sailors.

Manque
10-21-2005, 04:56 PM
I think the reason is that Saving Private Ryan had nothing to do with being a schoolteacher/having brown hair/being married. I would be mighty surprised if being gay is not a significant part of the movie.

gamblore99
10-21-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While my opinions may not reflect those of today's college age kids (i.e., many of the 2p2 posters), they do represent the majority views of most Americans living outside of the major east and west coast cities. Also, and again Im generalizing here--the male homosexual community really is an antisocial community, not entirely dissimilar from the underclass black community. Male homosexuals are highly promiscuous, engage in risky behavior such as crystal meth addiction, have far higher HIV/STD infection rates, continue to engage in "risky sex" despite two decades of public education, etc. Objectively speaking, this sort of behavior is very out of the norm for American society.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true, a large part it is probably caused by lack of acceptance. Gay people in general have far less support from family, peers, teachers, churches and other organizations. As an example the Boy scouts of america you mentioned. Gay people cannot join this organization and therefore are denied this experience, which as you said is most likely a positive experience in young peoples lives, helping shape them into productive, caring, patriotic adults. Denying them the social support and mentors they need to develop in the "right" direction happens in many other areas as well. Parents may be accepting, but probably feel very uncomfortable talking to there kids about their gay relationship. Same for teachers. The more people are made to feel like outcasts, the more they will act like outcasts.

It is for these reasons that many gay people are pushing to make being gay maintstream. They don't want to be tolerated. They want to be accepted. And as you can guess, I think they are right.

Also- It would be good if you could find a link to the study that said this.

10-21-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a movie depicting gay cowboys is about as significant as one depicting gay sailors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... gay sailors that fall in love, but decide to marry women, and deny their true feelings for each other.

I see a sequel coming!! "Brokeback Ocean"... "Brokeback Seamen"...

10-21-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They don't want to be tolerated. They want to be accepted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said.

Manque
10-21-2005, 05:06 PM
That's ok, gays and atheists can always join the Episcopal Church.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It seems clear it's highly concentrated on gay issues. I'm not interested in those. I'm not particularly interested what my gay friends think about it, either...

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if one of your gay friends feels pressured by society to get married to a woman... even though he probably will never be happy in that relationship... would you care? It's a gay issue.

I'm not saying you should see this movie... I'm just saying that it may very well be portraying an issue that is much more profound, and relevant to gays and friends of gays, than gay sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the difference between my friends and a movie. I treat them well and find the subject unremarkable. This kind of thing is just not news to me anymore. I live in L.A.; gays are everywhere here, and nobody cares much. Maybe the movie is a "must see" in Alabama or something, but here, it's more of a "So what?"

Manque
10-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Well you gave a rats ass enough to write a response.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well you gave a rats ass enough to write a response.

[/ QUOTE ]

And?

2+2 wannabe
10-21-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe this got through the radar

if you think the chain of cowboy -> masculinity -> heterosexuality doesn't exist in western culture you must be living in a cave

Manque
10-21-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry but what you are saying just won't fly in my hometown of Anatevka.

samjjones
10-21-2005, 05:13 PM
I liked this movie better when it was called "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

pryor15
10-21-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and so far everything i've heard points toward it being very, very good.

Manque
10-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Duh.

Blarg
10-21-2005, 05:19 PM
You're repeatedly just making stupid and pointless comments, and seem to be chasing me about with them. While I can't cure your idiot troll life, or why you're focussing it on me, I can certainly put you in your proper place -- on ignore.

Manque
10-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Oh my god you're sensitive.

Manque
10-21-2005, 05:23 PM
And my only point was that you cared enough to write how you really don't care about what the other poster thinks. Then my duh comment was in response to your one word question.

Reef
10-21-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Who the hell go's to a movie based on the poster?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Of course America is "ready" for this.

This isn't anything new or shocking. At all.

daryn
10-21-2005, 05:30 PM
go's

10-21-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the difference between my friends and a movie. I treat them well and find the subject unremarkable.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said you didn't care what they think about it. If one of them was concerned with the subject matter... then it would be good for their friends to care what they thought about it.

[ QUOTE ]
This kind of thing is just not news to me anymore. I live in L.A.; gays are everywhere here, and nobody cares much. Maybe the movie is a "must see" in Alabama or something, but here, it's more of a "So what?"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome. That's the way it should be. But, it's not like that in Texas. But, what Manque said: why are you even bothering posting about it? If it's a non-issue... then don't bother. The fact is, it's not a non-issue to a lot of people.

[EDIT (I had you confused with another poster, my apologies.)]

Anyway... moving right along... I can't wait to see the brutal muder of a bunch of gay guys: Hellbent (http://imdb.com/title/tt0356159/)

That's more my taste, too.

http://www.empiremovies.com/images/posters/hellbent.jpg (http://imdb.com/title/tt0356159/)

Talk2BigSteve
10-21-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked this movie better when it was called "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a porn one time called "The Crisco Kid"

MonkeeMan
10-21-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a porn one time called "The Crisco Kid"

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they have a character called Pancho say "Hey Crisco, wait for me" in it?

Blarg
10-21-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If one of them was concerned with the subject matter... then it would be good for their friends to care what they thought about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone wants to talk to me about something, including a movie, that's fine. Doesn't necessarily make me want to see the movie, though.

uw_madtown
10-21-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked this movie less when it was called "Andy Warhol's Lonesome Cowboys."

[/ QUOTE ]

10-21-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If one of them was concerned with the subject matter... then it would be good for their friends to care what they thought about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone wants to talk to me about something, including a movie, that's fine. Doesn't necessarily make me want to see the movie, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said you should want to see the movie. I was responding to your comment: "I'm not particularly interested what my gay friends think about it, either..."

cwsiggy
10-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Saw the preview for this and afterward the whole theatre - dead silence. It won't do well.

Talk2BigSteve
10-21-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Saw the preview for this and afterward the whole theatre - dead silence. It won't do well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Passion did well for Christian America.

I think gays will flock to this movie like a Fire Island Orgy with a Manhattan Pride March the next morning.

gorie
10-21-2005, 10:05 PM
this sounds hot.

mm michelle williams
mm cute boys making out

wait, they're not going to cuddle are they ?

Blarg
10-21-2005, 10:10 PM
I'm not interested in what a lot of my straight friends think about any particular movie, either. And about a whole host of other things, too. You seem to be trying to make far more of my disinterest in this movie than is reasonably warranted.

Some expressed their interest in the movie, some didn't. I'm on the didn't side. It's just not that big a deal.

bwana devil
10-21-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife and I were in a theater in Times Square when a preview for this came on. The liberal-as-hell New York crowd was noticeably disgusted by the premise of the movie (as were we).

[/ QUOTE ]

times square isnt for new yorkers. i think you sitting w/ a theathre full of tourists.

Spladle Master
10-22-2005, 04:21 AM
[censored] you.

Spladle Master
10-22-2005, 04:25 AM
I don't think you will kill yourself so I won't bother recommending that you seriously consider doing so. But I do hope you die.

Spladle Master
10-22-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Monogamy is good. Polygamy, polyandry, promiscuity is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with these statements. That having been said, what about polyamory?

JackWilson
10-22-2005, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this sounds hot.

mm michelle williams
mm cute boys making out

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you're thinking.

Sephus
10-22-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What you should take from it is that different people look at the world different ways, and that what seems to be your assumption that your way is clearly greatly superior is extremely egocentric, even were it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

blarg, don't you think your way of looking at the world is clearly superior to despotinexile's?

Blarg
10-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Yup, but not only am I right, more importantly, I wasn't addressing the issues as if there not only was no question whatsoever that other people's opinions couldn't possibly have any validity, but that they clearly should just like it or lump it.

That's especially hard to swallow when you're pushing the idea that people shouldn't be included in society, or should have to hide their nature to be accepted. Frankly, nobody should be allowed to exclude anyone just because they're different. From your living room, fine, but not society. If I see two gay guys walking down the street holding hands, or see them hugging, it really doesn't matter what my opinion of homosexuality is; it's just none of my business. Thinking they should hide it is medieval. And too damn nosy, in a free country especially. Of all the things we have to fight over on this insane and bloody planet, where people put their dicks is just not one of them. Everyone's entitled to any private dislike whatever, but there's no reason to expect people to agree and act ashamed if some stranger who is all full of himself doesn't like them. That would make society a kind of prison without walls.

Sephus
10-22-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yup, but not only am I right, more importantly, I wasn't addressing the issues as if there not only was no question whatsoever that other people's opinions couldn't possibly have any validity, but that they clearly should just like it or lump it.

[/ QUOTE ]

normally i like your posts a lot but i don't know what you're talking about, (not saying it can't be my fault), even though i read through the thread a second time.

you've failed to convince me you weren't being hypocritical but i understand that may not make any difference to you and given that we seem not to be reading quite the same thread i'm not going to argue with you.

wacki
10-22-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever thought that this reaction might me genetic and some people can't help it? People who preach that homosexuality is just as "normal" and just as practical as a classical child producing family structure piss me off.

Blarg
10-22-2005, 05:08 PM
I don't know what your goals were or why you had them, but I've been clear since the beginning. I agree that there seems to be nothing productive that could develop from going over the same things again. This entire thread was transparent but there was a lot of misguided effort to complicate it.

10-22-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever thought that this reaction might me genetic and some people can't help it? People who preach that homosexuality is just as "normal" and just as practical as a classical child producing family structure piss me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought that it might be partly genetic. But, I think it's more of a learned response. Most of the people I know didn't grow up in a "normal" family structure. I think that the quality of family structure is best measured by the time, effort, love, caring, understanding, and nurturing that goes into them... not the specific genitalia that the people involved have.

wacki
10-23-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that the quality of family structure is best measured by the time, effort, love, caring, understanding, and nurturing that goes into them... not the specific genitalia that the people involved have.

[/ QUOTE ]

You totally missed my point. I'm talking Darwinism, you're talking psychology.

Dave G.
10-23-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur sir. I don't mind saying that if I see two gay guys about to kiss on TV, I physically cringe and look away. I will usually say something like 'oh gross' and try and wait until it's safe to look at the screen again.

I don't make any apologies for that. As far as I'm concerned, this is a totally natural reaction for me. It's as though my brain finds something just utterly sick about watching that, and I just can't do it without feeling ill. It's an automatic reaction.

However, I'm not an anti-gay, or a homophobe, or immature about the issue. If a dude wants to do that, he can stick his stuff wherever he pleases, I don't care. I treat everyone with respect until they prove to me that they don't deserve it, and I think people should be able to live how they want to live.

That doesn't however mean that I want to see it, so I'm giving this movie two thumbs down.

-Skeme-
10-23-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Based on the preview the movie appears to feature quite a bit of on-screen gay cuddling and kissing and crap. This is what makes me not want to see the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter666
10-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Parker, who turns 36 Wednesday, and Stone, 34, last month signed a deal for three more seasons and South Park has begun appearing in syndication in some markets - both of which assure the world of Cartman, Stan, Kyle and the rest will continue to expand.

Parker and Stone answered the following questions in a recent interview:

AP: Cartman once described independent movies as "gay cowboys eating pudding." Now we have Brokeback Mountain, an upcoming movie by Ang Lee about gay cowboys.

Stone: If they have pudding in that movie, I'm going to lose my mind.

Parker: No, if there's pudding eating in there, we're going to sue.

AP: Are you guys prophets?

Stone: No, but Cartman is. (Laughs) We went to Sundance a lot in the mid-to-late '90s, and you could just tell it was going toward gay cowboydom.

BoogerFace
10-24-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The title would have been better as "Bareback Mountain" tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first saw the poster I thought it was going to be an AIDS documentary.

10-24-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever thought that this reaction might me genetic and some people can't help it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought that it might be partly genetic. But, I think it's more of a learned response.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read the "Circumcise my baby boy?" (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=3752884) thread, and realized this is related. A lot (probably most) American women think that uncircumcised penises are "gross". Obviously, this is not genetic. It's a learned response -- what they become familiar with, is "normal", and unfamiliar things are "gross".