PDA

View Full Version : Taxes on 2 week pay checks.

steelcmg
10-21-2005, 08:56 AM
So i got switched from a temp agency to full time with the company i work for. They have 2 week pay checks. I started in the middle of a pay periord and my pay check was about 500$. But then i just got payed again today and it was only 930$. That doesnt make any sence to me shouldnt my pay check be almost 1000$. I worked the same amount of hours 40 each week. I dont think they should tax more because the pay cycle is every 2 weeks compared to 1 week or do they?
If thats the case that complete bullshit because thats like losing 120$ a month because the company pays u every 2 weeks. This is the first time i have been on a 2 week cycle so i dont know how it works. Anyone out there have an idea why my check would do this.

jakethebake
10-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Do they take out things like medical, 401k, etc. These are usually taken out end of the month.

steelcmg
10-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Not yet i have to wait 3 months for this to happen. I dont have my pay stub yet not until monday since i get direct deposit.

dcasper70
10-21-2005, 09:07 AM
I assume you already complared the line items on the check to see if there are items on check #2 that weren't on check #1.
Also, keep in mind that there's a possibility that you got TOO MUCH in check #1, and #2 is actually the correct amount.

Definitely worth a phone call to the payroll department.

edit: sorry, didn't notice you don't have the stub yet...

10-21-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I started in the middle of a pay periord

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm...did it occur to you that the payroll software they are using might calculate taxes based on payments every TWO weeks? If so, as far as that software is concerned, your pay just doubled.

steelcmg
10-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Yea im thinking that they must have messed up the first check although i like the first check alot better since i could use it to get better beer each month.

drewjustdrew
10-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Maybe they had you down for a default withholding until they input your W-4 information. Just make sure your gross pay is OK. The rest can be straightened out with Payroll.

steelcmg
10-21-2005, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I started in the middle of a pay periord

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm...did it occur to you that the payroll software they are using might calculate taxes based on payments every TWO weeks? If so, as far as that software is concerned, your pay just doubled.

[/ QUOTE ]

right i didnt even think of it that way that makes sense.