PDA

View Full Version : AQs

The Truth
10-21-2005, 07:58 AM
4 handed 10-20

CO folds,button limps, sb completes, I raise from BB with AsQs, they both call.

Button is a fish, Sb is lag/wierd.

Flop: Jc 2c 5d

sb leads, I raise, button calls 2 cold, sb folds.

Turn: Tc

I check, Button checks.

River Ac
I check, button bets, I call.

meh

What do you do different?

ArturiusX
10-21-2005, 08:00 AM
It feels meh, but I play it the same.

Maybe fold the river if the button isnt agro at all.

stigmata
10-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Wierd hand. None of it feels right but I can't see how else you could of played it.

Flop raise sounds about right given SB description.

On the river, I think check-call is the only way to play it. He's not callin with anything that you beat. If this guy is capable of bluffing then you have to call really.

The Truth
10-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Against a different villain on the flop, would you fold or just call?

blake

stigmata
10-21-2005, 08:35 AM
I don't know what's right here, the fish behind makes things more difficult. Against a guy who I know will only lead with a pair, then peeling seems correct. Sometimes raising esp. if i'm going to get a free card or there's some chance he is drawing.

Also, on the river, I would plan to bluff any non A/Q club, and try and get him to fold a pair (if I think he is capable of folding). Otherwise when I pair up I try and induce the bluff. Correct?

I'm playing and running horribly so I'm questioning my play with these sorts of things quite a lot, tell me if i'm wrong.

gaming_mouse
10-21-2005, 09:33 AM
I like it, actually.

The flop raise is the only move I question. Against a LAG I think you are often getting 3bet here. Was your intention to get overlay from the fish, who would call two cold with a lesser equity hand than yours? Maybe thats okay, but it seems like a thin edge at best.

The Truth
10-21-2005, 11:20 AM
When Sb leads, I am ahead of a good portion of his range here. In other words, it doesn't mean a pair by any means.
Also, He isn't one of those bet/3bet lags, hes a check raise lag. So that means, I get a free turn card if i want it.

I figure the fish behind me will call with a jack or a club draw. He will fold a smaller pair fairly often here. He will call sometimes cause 5's are running hot, or so some other stupid reason. He will likely call with weaker aces sometimes, which is golden for me.

So, I could fold a better hand behind me, and get best position if I can loose him.

I get my choice of a free turn card (which I may or may not take).

RESULTS:

The fish had 7c9c and turned the flush, god only knows why he didn't bet there. I think that is why the hand feels so wierd.

thanks for the responses

blake

10-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Bet the turn.

You raised preflop OOP, you raised on the flop, now you check the turn when a scarecard falls? Bet the turn, fold to a raise. If you hate the turn card, I promise you villain either hates it or loves it. Bet and find out.

TheDelChop
10-21-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the river, I think check-call is the only way to play it. He's not callin with anything that you beat. If this guy is capable of bluffing then you have to call really.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not calling you with anything you beat, I agree, but he may fold some crappy clubs that you can't beat if you bet. For example, he could be holding hands like 5-4 with the 4 of clubs, or, since he's a fish, really any club. When he doesn't bet the turn, I would exclude two pair, or set hands from his holdings. He's never gonna raise you with a hand that you beat. So if he raises confidently muck and move on.

The Truth
10-21-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not bet the river? I would hate to see you check and watch the Button show you 5-3 with the 3 of clubs for the flush. If he raises, since he's a fish, he's not raising with a hand you can beat and you can fold. This way at least you get some fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't folding any had that beats me. Not 2 pair, not a set. He will check behind with a baby flush so many I don't have to pay a bet there. He will bluff fairly often here as well.

blake

The Truth
10-21-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn.

You raised preflop OOP, you raised on the flop, now you check the turn when a scarecard falls? Bet the turn, fold to a raise. If you hate the turn card, I promise you villain either hates it or loves it. Bet and find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am done with the hand on the turn when the club falls. If he doesn't have the club, he'll check and I'll get to see a free river. He isn't folding, cause thats what fish do, they call.

So its not a bluff, and I dont have enough equity to value bet. So, its a lets see the river or end this hand check.

blake

TheDelChop
10-21-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He will check behind with a baby flush

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't he fold these if you bet though? I suppose if you say he won't then there is no point in betting. Just C/C. If he will then I say bet, the fourth club will prevent you from being raised by any hands except good clubs.

TheDelChop
10-21-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am done with the hand on the turn when the club falls. If he doesn't have the club, he'll check and I'll get to see a free river. He isn't folding, cause thats what fish do, they call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is the right line on the turn, a fish who CC your raise on the flop isn't folding a better hand on the turn for 1 bet. I still think the river deserves a bet, you could have the best hand and now he may fold a better one.

10-21-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're sure he'll call you with a pair like 88, then fine, dont bet it. But I think you will fold some better hands if you bet, if you're raised its not big loss to fold it, and if you're called, you still have some outs.

Granted, your outs are crappy--6 overs, 2 of which are badly tainted. Plus a 4 out gutshot, again with 1 badly tainted. And this assuming you're not dead on the turn.

Still, I think a turn bet folds better hands, even when villain is a monkey.

jba
10-21-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He will check behind with a baby flush

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't he fold these if you bet though?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen them chase small one card flushes to the end, heads up, just chasing the flush and a naked ace. I'm pretty sure he's not folding a flush on the river especially after you checked the turn.

pudley4
10-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Clark-Theorem the river. (aka - bet it)

Danenania
10-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Turn check/fold looks astute. On the river I think check/call is your worst option. Just give him 9/10 of a BB instead. I would bet it.