PDA

View Full Version : FILM REVIEW: The 40 year-old Virgin

diebitter
10-21-2005, 04:51 AM
Well, I thought it was gonna be one of those nights as I asked for tickets, and the seller enquired back through booming speakers '40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN?', much to the amusement of the assorted onlookers.

However, things looked up when they showed a kick-ass trailer for King Kong, which I enjoyed greatly, and which scared the living colour out of my wife. So, double result there /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The film wasn't that funny or particularly engaging for the first 10 or so minutes, the characters seemed flat, and there weren't many laughs, and I had the sinking feeling this was one of those where all the funny bits had alredy been seen in the trailer.

It warmed up a bit during a p#ker game, where a little Indian guy got pissed off and started cussing, and pretty much developed well after that. It turned into a pretty good comedy about helping some poor sap, played by Steve Carell (the lead in the v.funny - IMO - American Office), to pop his cherry. The characters turn from flat to being reasonably rounded and sympathetic ones, and we all have a bit of each of these guys in us, trust me.

There are some incredibly funny scenes here, and this is definitely a good date or go-with-buddies movie. Plus this movie does for 'Age of Aquarius' what Anchorman did for 'Sky Rockets', but up by a magnitude. If you see this film, then next time you get laid really well, you're gonna get the urge to sing 'when the moon...'

The lead developed into a very sympathetic character that I actually identified with, him being a nice guy /images/graemlins/wink.gif For example, his rule to not hit on drunk 'bitches' is one I happen to agree with, but what do I know?

The secondary characters, such as an elderly black couple, a mouthy little jewish kid with a 'jewfro' haircut, and a pair of angry Indian (ie from India) salesman that trashtalked pretty much everyone were also quite amusing and kept up the pace.

Overall, I laughed my ass off in places, and was pretty happy watching the rest. Good ending too!

OVERALL: 3/5
REWATCHABILITY: About the same as you'd rewatch American Pie, but not as much as Dumb and Dumber

RATINGS (out of 5):
1 - don't bother
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Opinions/comments/arguments please, especially if you think I missed anything worth discussion/expansion, or violently agree or disagree.

PM me any you'd like reviewed sometime.

Boris
10-21-2005, 04:57 AM
Great friggin review! Next time post when the flick is still in theatres.

JackWilson
10-21-2005, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great friggin review! Next time post when the flick is still in theatres.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if you realize that there's a world outside of the U.S? Not everyone gets films at the same time, donk.

Exitonly
10-21-2005, 05:04 AM
Every one of these reviews ends up in 3/5 stars.

riggggggged.
---

Another good review, i've been meaning to see this one, heard great things and you just confirmed it really. So it's on my to-do list.

diebitter
10-21-2005, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Every one of these reviews ends up in 3/5 stars.

riggggggged.
---

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a point here. I am a film nut, and do tend to see the half-a-glass as full rather than empty. But I stand by all the ones I've reviewed so far. I'll try and review one that is better or worse than a 3 next, huh /images/graemlins/smile.gif

diebitter
10-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Oh, my bad, you're wrong. I gave 4.5 to Get Carter, and 2.5 to Buffy.

10-21-2005, 08:29 AM
Is Steve Carell a believable actor? would you recommend seeing this in a theater instead of waiting to rent?

JaBlue
10-21-2005, 08:35 AM
the way you wrote the review it seems like it deserved better than 3/5

diebitter
10-21-2005, 08:36 AM
Yes, he's very good. He's sympathetic and believable. This emerges through the course of the film through - he does appear to be milking the 'geek' of the character a lot at the beginning, but he develops the character very nicely throughout, and you are really happy for him when he finds happiness (oh, and finally gets laid /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

No reason to specifically see it at the cinema compared to renting - it'll work just as well on the small screen - but it's sexy/raunchy AND romantic, and would work as a date film or a girls/guys-night-out equally well, and you probably could do worse if you feel like going to the movies anyway.

oh, and 3/5 stands - it's not a 'must see soon', it's a 'see sometime, you will enjoy'.

Yeti
10-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Good review.

It is 'nice', and fun, but not nearly as hilarious as I assumed it would be .

diebitter
10-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Did it give you the urge to sing 'Aquarius' after a great happy ending?

Yeti
10-21-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did it give you the urge to sing 'Aquarius' after a great happy ending?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I didn't like the ending of the film.