PDA

View Full Version : Questionable push, $5.50

El Ishmael
10-21-2005, 04:22 AM
Hey,

I'm curious about your thoughts on this push. I wasn't sure how I would play this hand postflop given my chipstack and my bad position so I panicked in a way, but I also felt that the dead money already in the pot would compensate for the times I was wrong.

Some reads...

MP2 is weird. He seems a little on the weak side, and not that great. A little tight so far but I can't tell. In a previous hand he checked a JJ2 flop (unraised preflop) in the SB, the BB moved in and he called TIME for 40 seconds before calling with AJ. Take that FWIW.

Button in this hand is very bad and doesn't really care. Moving in a lot and recently lost his entire chipstack bluffing in a nothing pot with king high. So I'm very confident I'm ahead of him.

I'd like to know what you think.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t630)
SB (t855)
BB (t1410)
UTG (t870)
Hero (t1500)
MP2 (t5145)
CO (t3090)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, MP2 calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t630</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1500</font>,

The Yugoslavian
10-21-2005, 04:35 AM
I don't like your initial raise.

Your push given your reads seems like a fine idea.

Yugoslav

El Ishmael
10-21-2005, 05:07 AM
What would you recommend there (~145ish)?

Scuba Chuck
10-21-2005, 05:27 AM
I don't know what Yugo is talking about. On Pokerstars, calling a t150 bet is akin to limping for some reason. I saw a showdown on a $25+2 a couple nights ago, where the two in the showdown had a K4o, and 75s on a KJ7r flop. This is after they both "limped" in for t150.

With a tighter starting stacks, I can see Yugo's point.

FWIW, I do not know what to do with the read "weird."

Anyhow, given your read, it's hard not to call a villain who doesn't care about money. Be aware that against a normal opponent, this is not a very good call/push.

El Ishmael
10-21-2005, 05:40 AM
Thanks.

By "weird" I meant to imply that I was unsure of his play so far. At times he seemed to show weak/tight tendencies but was careless preflop occasionally. Not incredibly noticeable thusfar.

Yeah I realize that this would kinda suck against normal opponents. What do you think would be my play against an unknown push (of that size) had MP not flat-called my raise in between?

Scuba Chuck
10-21-2005, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah I realize that this would kinda suck against normal opponents. What do you think would be my play against an unknown push (of that size) had MP not flat-called my raise in between?

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue at hand is the dead chips in the pot, your read, and the super big stack. Your hand range for villain is pretty wide. Assuming you are able to isolate, you're getting 2.56:1 pot odds to do so. I'm very certain that AQ is profitable with those odds. So your only real issue is pushing out the super bigstack. FWIW, I don't even know if it matters. AQ is likely ahead of his hand anyway. If he had something better than AQ, he would have reraised preflop. Therefore, if he does call, you're playing for two pots, in that you can lose to shorty, but beat the bigstack, and still have a workable stack. But if you win both, you're in great shape.

tigerite
10-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Well, your only alternatives here are to push or fold, and folding just seems totally wrong as you're going to be ahead of the button or at worst a 45/55 dog, and MP2 is really not going to call your push as well without a total monster, if you get him to fold a pair and the button has Ax then that's fantastic for you.

Push and I don't think it's very close.