PDA

View Full Version : I am clueless at heads up, here's an example

10-21-2005, 02:56 AM
I have no idea what to do in heads up situations where I have no pair and no idea what my opponent has either. Here's an example:

Low stakes 6max, against loose opponents, somewhat more aggressive than they should be considering the poor selection of cards they play preflop.

I have T9suited in the small blind, everyone folds to me, I raise and the big blind calls. Or, I'm in the big blind in the same situation, and call the small blind's raise.

Flop is K62 rainbow (but not the suit I have).

What do I do here? I have no pair, only a slight chance of making a runner runner straight. If I'm first to act, and I check, opponent will probably bet regardless of whether he's got anything, right? So if I bet, and he raises, then what? If he calls, what's my plan for the later streets?

If I'm 2nd to act, facing a bet on this flop, then what do I do if he checks? What do I do if he bets?

I'm used to multi way hands after the flop, when I get it heads up I really have no idea what I'm doing. I don't seem to have any way to put my opponents on a hand, since they tend to have a VPIP of 50% or so, and if I just fold every time I missed the flop, then why did I play the hand in the first place preflop, since my chance of hitting the flop must be well under 50%? And if my opponent has absolutely nothing and we both check through the flop, he will bet the turn since he's probably a LAG and wants to make me fold.

slik
10-21-2005, 03:48 AM
you need reads much more so for heads up play. against LAGs I smooth call til the river; I also bluff raise the river more. Against passive players I bet for value more and check weaker hands.. if he's capable of folding bluff more. there is no easy way out really. aggression factors and % of time goes to showdown are more important than vpip in heads up play sometimes.

10-21-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you need reads much more so for heads up play. against LAGs I smooth call til the river; I also bluff raise the river more. Against passive players I bet for value more and check weaker hands.. if he's capable of folding bluff more. there is no easy way out really. aggression factors and % of time goes to showdown are more important than vpip in heads up play sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good reads are unlikely at low stakes, such as $1/$2. Players pop in and out of the table every 5 minutes, you don't get more than 30 hands in against opponents. VPIP is probably the only meaningful stat with a small number of hands played, although you may be able to get a general sense of how aggressive the opponent is. However, not many hands are heads up on the flop at the 1/2 6max tables I play at, so you really are going to have no idea how your opponent tends to play heads up.

ArturiusX
10-21-2005, 10:19 PM
You can develop a read fairly quickly in heads up. Whats he showing down with? Whats his known raising range? Does he bluff? Where can you segment him?