PDA

View Full Version : Big stack NL vs Small Stack NL

vkotlyar
10-21-2005, 02:07 AM
I cant play big stack NL. There is a 1-2 game in which there is no max buyin. Most players buy in for 200-300. I usually buy in for 500. The average raise in the game is 10-15 dollars preflop. I cant seem to find a hand to fold. If its at all playable, im usually in. Anything connected, and pair. I am more cautious with A10, AJ, AQ KQ JQ, but have no prob calling a raise w 78o. I find myself in tricky situations of the flop when i flop top pair with no kicker. Also, i cant help but bet when checked to if i have position. 1/2 to 2/3 the pot seems about right to me....But i rarely take it down right there, and ive noticed that i am getting c/r a lot more often.
However, when i play a 2-5 game with a 500 max, i find that i play a lot more tighter, and dont splash around preflop as much. My decisions are easier, and i am not as aggressive post flop.
Any ideas? Should i really be folding a hand like 34o in position for $12 with 3 way action ahead of me? If the bet was 30 in a 2-5 game, this would be an easy fold. Maybe i dont respect the limit..who knows.
thanks
v

JaBlue
10-21-2005, 02:30 AM
You are playing too loose. Think of it in terms of multiples of big blinds.

In your 1-2 live game most stacks are 150BB. If the standard raise is 6BB, you are getting 150:6 implied odds or 25:1.

In the typical capped structure stacks are 100BB and raises are often to 3BB so you are getting 100:3 or 33:1 implied odds.

Therefore you should be playing looser in the capped buy in games. This doesn't mean you can go wild and call raises with 78, though - you're not that deep

When you can start calling with stuff like 78 is when you are playing very deep, like 300BB+ and you will get paid off big time if you have a monster. In other words, the deeper you are, and the worse your opponents are, the more crap you can call with (hopefully in position). Of course, keep in mind that you're not calling to make one pair.

TheRegulat0r
10-21-2005, 02:33 AM
Pre-flop:

It sounds like you're taking the concept of implied odds with deep stacks a little too far. Calling 34o after a raise is most definitely not profitable. Hands like 67s, J9s, and 44 are certainly worth playing in position, but don't get too carried away with it. Keep in mind you are only as deep as your opponent, so if he has $150 and is raising to $15, those suited connectors lose quite a bit of their value. Fold more.

Post-flop:

If your continuation bets are getting called and raised too much, the simple answer is to do it less often. Pick the spots where you know your opponent is tight, and won't raise you without the goods. If they call too much, that's certainly exploitable also, you just need a hand to do so.

I have some of the same tendencies in live play, and when I catch myself playing like this I just try to remind myself to be patient and play TAG.

orange
10-21-2005, 02:39 AM
I had some of the same problems you do in a lower buy-in game. Granted it was a $10 NL homegame, but thats beside the point. I was playing below my regular limits and I was not playing good poker. I would frequently try to LAG it up, and bluff when checked to. I would often find myself being called down with very very marginal holdings, or c/r-ed more often.

The best advice I can give you is to focus very hard on your prorities in the game: play tighter and do not bluff calling stations. Those two took me a long time to get the mentality down.

You might want to try and buy-in for perhaps 50x the BB instead of 200x. It will make you both tighter PF and make post-flop decisions easier (not bluff as often, etc). Your big stack is only effective if you are against another big stack. Your opponent's stack is what you should be considering when calling raises with 78o, etc.

Just some thoughts.