10-21-2005, 02:09 AM
did you just watch this too?

10-21-2005, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chick flick or sports movie?

Discuss.

Both is not an acceptable answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note to all those voting "sports movie": Just because you enjoy a chick flick, and it relates in some way to sports, does not make it a "sports movie".

jakethebake
10-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Way too gay for a sports movie.

samjjones
10-21-2005, 09:13 AM
"You complete me" = chick flick

tdarko
10-21-2005, 09:15 AM
do you wear panties?

diebitter
10-21-2005, 09:16 AM
A great guy having trouble committing to a woman that loves him.... hmmm, let me think...

But it must be said, a good chick flick.

But but, no part of it matches the chick flick Miss Congeniality when Sandra Bullock emerges from the hangar after the makeover... I love that bit.

Er, what were we talking about?

FouTight
10-21-2005, 09:18 AM
there's what, like 3 minutes of actual sports footage in the movie.

further more, if you have to ask, I'm afraid you already know the answer.

Colonel Kataffy
10-21-2005, 10:05 AM
It's neither.

tek
10-21-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"You complete me" = chick flick

[/ QUOTE ]

You had me at "Hello" /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Vavavoom
10-21-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's neither.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or B...

I don't know a girl that doesn't regard this as one of her favourites !

ITS A CHICK FLICK !

SmileyEH
10-21-2005, 10:57 AM
It's mostly a chick flick. Good movie though. OMG ROFL URSOGAY SMILEY!!!111

-SmileyEH

arod15
10-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Still entertaining though.....

swede123
10-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Of these two options chick flick is the most appropriate. It's a solid movie though, and compared to most typical chick flicks this one is far superior.

Swede

El Ishmael
10-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Entertaining movie, not really good. Kinda the only time I wanted to do Zellweger.

samjjones
10-21-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Entertaining movie, not really good. Kinda the only time I wanted to do Zellweger.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about Empire Records?

diebitter
10-21-2005, 11:49 AM
And Me, myself and Irene!

Hell, she did it for me in Bridget Jones... (though not BJ2)

4_2_it
10-21-2005, 11:53 AM
My wife, who hates anything resembling sports, loved it. This officially makes it a chick flick. We watching Fever Pitch this weekend and I plan to use the same yardstick.

IndieMatty
10-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Whatever it is, it is an awesome, highly re-watchable movie. I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Cameron Crowe

Colonel Kataffy
10-21-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's neither.

Or B...

I don't know a girl that doesn't regard this as one of her favourites !

ITS A CHICK FLICK !

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think defining "Chick Flick" as a film regarded by girls you know as "one of thier favorites," is a little weak. I think it would be better to define it as either a movie thats main plot hinges upon a couple finding romantic bliss or one that primarily deals with character development as it relates to particularly female issues.

Jerry Maguire fits neither category. Although, he does get with the girl at the end, the plot doesn't hinge on this. The movie starts with Jerry having doubts about the direction of his career and it ends with the successful creation of a new caring sports agency. The girl stuff is just a side plot. This movie doesn't primarily deal female issues either. It is told from a male perspective and it is the male characters that are dynamic.

People are confused becuase the movie is corny as hell, has a few memorable "you complete me" type of quotes, and has a sub plot about a couple falling in love. But, Field of Dreams is corny as hell too and nobody lables that a chick flick. Almost all movies have some sort of subplot involving a couple forming. And the "you complete me" line is just a bystander to the plot. While the plot does deal with the completing of jerry maguire, it isn't the girl that completes him. This film is similar to Good Will Hunting, in that they are both films where the main character is troubled and has to come to terms with their manhood and both use a the subplot of a relationship displays their development but isn't necessary part of the story.

I don't know if there is a catchy term for the type of movie that Jerry MaGuire, but I don't think Chick Flick is appropriate.

Sorry I wrote all this, but today's torts class too boring to listen to.

lastsamurai
10-21-2005, 01:50 PM
I think it was more do the right thing movie.

4_2_it
10-21-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it was more do the right thing movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does Spike Lee have to do with this conversation?

tek
10-24-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Although, he does get with the girl at the end, the plot doesn't hinge on this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Since Tom is ambiguaously gay, I would say that all of his movies are chick flicks /images/graemlins/wink.gif

samjjones
10-24-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although, he does get with the girl at the end, the plot doesn't hinge on this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Since Tom is ambiguaously gay, I would say that all of his movies are chick flicks /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.geocities.com/mburns86/miscmovies/preview/volleyball.jpg