PDA

View Full Version : I misplay the river.

Jeff W
10-21-2005, 01:36 AM
Villain is 36/20/1.8 over 1843 hands.

Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, MP calls.

River: (15.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>.

Danenania
10-21-2005, 01:50 AM
I think you misplayed the turn too. Why 3-bet?

Jerkass333
10-21-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think because he's putting villain on another ace and is freerolling with the Ah.

Jeff W
10-21-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured I was freerolling w/ the Ah and both players were unlikely to have a 6.

Also, if the bettor has an overpair with a heart he will have to call two cold.

El Ishmael
10-21-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured I was freerolling w/ the Ah and both players were unlikely to have a 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want him to call two cold drawing dead though? Won't he often get the picture and get out?

10-21-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If that's your reasoning on the turn, how did you misplay the river? It looks fine to me.

Jeff W
10-21-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If that's your reasoning on the turn, how did you misplay the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

No worse hand calls me.

10-21-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If that's your reasoning on the turn, how did you misplay the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

No worse hand calls me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I see your point, but I've been called plenty of times by a 36/20 holding a set or what not. If you can't figure anyone for a 6, and a guy with stats like that would have capped the turn with his big flush, what else is there that beats you?

Jeff W
10-21-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can't figure anyone for a 6, and a guy with stats like that would have capped the turn with his big flush, what else is there that beats you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very doubtful he's playing a set this way. At any rate I have to be ahead more than 50% of the time when called and I'm not.

10-21-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you can't figure anyone for a 6, and a guy with stats like that would have capped the turn with his big flush, what else is there that beats you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very doubtful he's playing a set this way. At any rate I have to be ahead more than 50% of the time when called and I'm not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's say out of the times you get called....

You tie 79%
You win 11%
You lose 10%

Is that worth a value bet EV wise?

Jeff W
10-21-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You tie 79%
You win 11%
You lose 10%

Is that worth a value bet EV wise?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we ignore having to pay off a checkraise from a better hand, then easily yes. If we don't, it's probably pretty close because I don't think I get check-raised too often.

I don't win more often than I lose when I bet, so it's a moot point.

Catt
10-21-2005, 02:48 AM
Wow. I played a hand very similar to this less than an hour ago. I raise a 40/10 MP open-limper with AQ from SB. Board is 2345 with three hearts, I have the Ah. Bet-raise-3-bet he calls. I stupidly bet the river blank and he calls. F*cker had Q6s (not hearts).

It's a bad bet because best case scenario in the vast majority of circumstances we're chopping and we sometimes lose to a timid flush or an x6. Hopefully this is something we do once and it is seared into our consciousness - I don't want to do this again.

El Ishmael
10-21-2005, 02:51 AM
Much different though being OOP, yeah? Since you don't need to be ahead 50%.

Catt
10-21-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Much different though being OOP, yeah? Since you don't need to be ahead 50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit different OOP, but fundamentally the same issue - you're just not getting called by a worse hand, and you're never folding a better hand. The bet has no positive expectation.

Danenania
10-21-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

66 or 67s are possibilities for MP though you're right of course that there are many more combinations of Aces. He could also have a flush already.

Did you have stats on UTG? If he's bad then the chance that he calls 2 bets with an overpair heart draw are balanced by keeping him around when he has a non-heart overpair or worse.

Last point is that you will make more money on average when a heart hits the river after just calling the turn. MP is aggressive so he isn't automatically going to check a straight or non nut flush just because a 4th heart comes down. And he's also loose so he's very likely to call your raise.

I think the best play might depend a lot on UTG's likelihood of continuing with a hand that has no hearts in it.

Justin A
10-21-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want him to call two cold drawing dead though? Won't he often get the picture and get out?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean why do we want him to call drawing dead? Him calling two cold is just giving Jeff money.

El Ishmael
10-21-2005, 04:11 AM
Yeah I misread his initial point. Disregard that.

Schizo
10-21-2005, 08:01 AM
Ok, I totally understand the freeroll 3 bet. However, I don't see how you can be so sure MP doesn't have 2 hearts. I mean what % of the time do you think he will have the flush here?

TStoneMBD
10-21-2005, 08:30 AM
good post jeff. turn 3bet freerolling is good and i like the river check. depends what your perception of the villain is. is there a chance he raised the turn with a set? would he really fold a set for 1 bet on the river? probably not to both of those so there are really no worse hands that are calling.

Schizo
10-31-2005, 05:35 AM
Bump

Schizo
11-01-2005, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I totally understand the freeroll 3 bet. However, I don't see how you can be so sure MP doesn't have 2 hearts. I mean what % of the time do you think he will have the flush here?

[/ QUOTE ]

bump x2

Catt
11-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Since Hero holds the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif exactly which hands is Villain raising UTG and capping with pre-flop that contain two hearts?