PDA

View Full Version : Limping In

MNpoker
10-21-2005, 01:29 AM
I never limp first in.

Play mostly 15 / 30 some 30 / 60 (Always 30 / 60 or higher if live)

I am beginning to question this strategy.

Thoughts?

TimM
10-21-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I never limp first in.

Play mostly 15 / 30 some 30 / 60 (Always 30 / 60 or higher if live)

I am beginning to question this strategy.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am the same at about 10/20 and up. I don't question it.

freehat
10-21-2005, 02:00 AM
This is probably not an optimal pre-flop strategy you have 3 options when the pot is unopened fold, call, or raise. It doesn't make sense to limit yourself to just two options. That is implying that limping first-in will never have the highest EV, I find that hard to believe.

Dominic
10-21-2005, 02:31 AM
you're one off the Highjack in a full game...it's folded around to you and you have Q8s...are you limping or raising?

What about 66?

K5s? A7os? QJos??

I don't know, I'm with the OP...if I'm playing it, I'm raisin' it...

are we wrong?

goofball
10-21-2005, 03:17 AM
HJ is different than UTG etc. though.

haakee
10-21-2005, 03:31 AM
I do open limp in EP. Sometimes it's with a limp-reraise hand, sometimes it's with 88 or QJs, or worse hands depending upon game texture. I very rarely open limp in the hijack or hijack - 1. I can recall fewer than 5 times I've open limped in the CO or button. I think you're giving up some EV if you're not sometimes open limping in EP-EMP.

lil feller
10-21-2005, 03:42 AM
Do a search. There have been some good discussion threads on this topic, on of which I started. I'll put the link and there are some referenced links in the thread.

Discussion on Limping (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=mediumholdem&Number=28 63090&fpart=&PHPSESSID=)

hope this helps

lf

RobbyD
10-21-2005, 10:35 AM
I think limping in EP is ok in loose passive games. This way you ensure you usually wont be raised, and you can expect 5-6 handed flops. I dont see this happening often as you go up in limits, you see many 5-6 handed flops yet alot of times its costing 2-3 bets. But int he right conditions I limp in EP with QJs-87s and some 1 gapped suited connecters.

spoohunter
10-21-2005, 11:28 AM
If you games ever average 5 - 6 players to the flop, always raising first in is a mistake.

Mempho
10-21-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you games ever average 5 - 6 players to the flop, always raising first in is a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dominic
10-21-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
HJ is different than UTG etc. though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naturally....I'm folding all those hands UTG-early MP....

phish
10-21-2005, 11:41 AM
I generally never limp when first in. The only exceptions i make are with small pairs in early position or middle position in a loose game. And that is because those hands are actually easier to play post-flop off position multi-way than HU or 3-way.
Of course, one could always just dump those small pairs, but I find that given the oftentimes overly aggressive post-flop play today, small pairs become quite playable.

nut case ace
10-21-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think limping in EP is ok in loose passive games. This way you ensure you usually wont be raised, and you can expect 5-6 handed flops. I dont see this happening often as you go up in limits, you see many 5-6 handed flops yet alot of times its costing 2-3 bets. But int he right conditions I limp in EP with QJs-87s and some 1 gapped suited connecters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree with this. by limiting your choices, are you folding JTs in EP or raising, even though you know 5 other people are going to see the flop regardless of your play? Also, while i like those suited connectors, my favorite EP limp hand in this type of game is small pairs. I'll even limp with something as big as 99 if i know everyone is going to call me anyway.