PDA

View Full Version : something fishy at party?

Jett Rink
10-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Hello. Please don't scoff at me as some poor loser. I am a long term winner and also have suffered through numerous downswings.

However, something doesn't feel right this time. For two weeks now I am losing so many unbelievable ways it is amazing. Whether it is time after time of getting into a pot only to have it completely miss and have to fold or getting a legit hand on the flop only to lose to something totally preposterous it is the deja vu of this losing, losing, losing that makes me wonder.

I have repeatedly told friends that say it is fixed that there is no way. Now I'm questioning my stance. Could it be that they could have altered their stance of "all we need are players and the rake is a cash cow?"

I can't believe I am even suspicious but I am.

Tell me I am crazy and that it is a natural blip. Or are others a tad nervous?

miajag81
10-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Oh boy.

A_Junglen
10-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Just a downswing..part of the job description

JustToast
10-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Feels that way when anyone runs bad. I'm in a downswing myself at the moment. But its not rigged, its just luck or you're not playing as well as you normally do... possibly the second due to the first.

This post will only get you flamed.

10-20-2005, 10:40 PM
YES! another "party is rigged" thread. God I love this forum.

splashpot
10-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Poker is not for you.

DuggleBogey
10-20-2005, 10:46 PM
So on your other downswings, you didn't take bad beats, you just played bad?

Wyers
10-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Scoff.

mdplayah
10-20-2005, 11:01 PM
hey dude,

these impossible "why me??" downswings are built into the framework of the game. how long have you been playing>>??

everyone goes thru this crap and it can be quite severe. My litmus test for determining if i'm on a down swing is if I start to feel that the site is rigged. Its not rigged at all; that's just how bad it can get.

for example, I play 2/4 and have 200K hands on pokertracker that says I'm a winning player. I'd like 500K- 1 million to be absolutely certain, but I'm pretty sure that i'm a winning player. anyway, september I played 35K hands and lost about $100 overall. total f'ing nightmare. this is normal though and to be expected if you wish to play for the long run.

best of luck to you. the cards will turn eventually. hang in there.

scotty34
10-20-2005, 11:04 PM
I really don't like the attitude that [censored] has when moderating OOT, but the constant barrage of posts like these makes me see some merit to his methods. "xxxx site is rigged" posts should be a bannable offense, or at least a temporary ban. This is of course if the post doesn't contain any reasonable evidence to support it.

OldYoda
10-20-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is not for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. Let's have a spelling contest.

splashpot
10-20-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is not for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm 100% serious in my reply. If he's thinking like this, he either:

A) Doesn't understand variance.
B) Hasn't studied poker long enough to know that this is normal. In which case he can't possibly be a winning player for sure.
C) Doesn't have the stomach for downswings.(psychologically)

10-20-2005, 11:25 PM
You need to learn to hate money.

10-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Do people who play many tables experience these downswings for extended periods of time as well?

loudog
10-20-2005, 11:53 PM
somebody took their idiot pills this morning!

IggyWH
10-21-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do people who play many tables experience these downswings for extended periods of time as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not as long as you're putting in more hands than someone playing 1 table, but it makes the downswings even worse as far as bottom line is concerned. It averages out in the end to the same, but you'll see worse results overall from multi-tabling since the downswing losses are compounded.

10-21-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do people make posts like this that add absolutely nothing to the discussion. Why would you think anybody would want to read this? I mean the guy is experiencing a very difficult thing that we have all gone through at one time or another. Why not give him your knowledge instead of ridicule? Grow up

10-21-2005, 12:10 AM
uhm....no

10-21-2005, 12:10 AM
so it makes them more severe, but for not as long a time? Like a quick tornado instead of a long hurricane?

waffle
10-21-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do people make posts like this that add absolutely nothing to the discussion. Why would you think anybody would want to read this? I mean the guy is experiencing a very difficult thing that we have all gone through at one time or another. Why not give him your knowledge instead of ridicule? Grow up

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people make posts like this that add absolutely nothing to the discussion. Why would you think anybody would want to read this? I mean the guy is experiencing a very difficult thing that we have all gone through at one time or another. Why not give him your knowledge instead of ridiculing another poster? Grow up

10-21-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
something fishy at party

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The players.

10-21-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so it makes them more severe, but for not as long a time? Like a quick tornado instead of a long hurricane?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, there is no difference.

If you have a 250BB downswing over 10K hands, it doesnt matter if those 10K hands were at 1 table, or 8. Its exactly the same. Obviously since you can play 10K hands faster 8 tabling, you wont be running bad as long as if it was all 1 table. But there is no difference.

This is assuming you had the same winrate multitabling as you do single tabling. Which obviously isnt true. So multitabling you will experince more downswings(relative to single tabling) as a result of a lower winrate.

But they arent compounded or any other such nonsense

Wyers
10-21-2005, 12:15 AM
Why do people make posts like this that add absolutely nothing to the discussion.

Discussion? What discussion?

Give your head a shake son. We get over a dozen of these "party is rigged" posts every week. Either the OP is a fool or a troll.

Either way... End of discussion.

10-21-2005, 12:17 AM
I think almost everybody has these thoughts if they've played for more than a few months. For example, I was winning at a 3.5BB rate over 20K hands. Then the party situation happened and I sent off a few emails to them asking about their VIP. Within 2 hours of that email my biggest downswing ever started. Over the next 5 days I lost 400BB. I was losing every possible way, 2-outers, gut shots, etc. I almost convinced myself that Party didn't like my emails about their VIP, bonuses and rakeback questions. Today I started to slowly work my way out of this mess, so I'm guessing Party could care less about me and it was just variance.

10-21-2005, 12:20 AM
So why do you still read them?

SoftcoreRevolt
10-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Because they are hilarious.

MicroBob
10-21-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think almost everybody has these thoughts if they've played for more than a few months.

[/ QUOTE ]

not true.

Wyers
10-21-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So why do you still read them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol.

I don't. I'm just trolling for Dudley Do Rights like yourself.

Thanks for putting me in my place though. It was fun.

Wyers
10-21-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think almost everybody has these thoughts if they've played for more than a few months.

[/ QUOTE ]

not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

lane mcbride
10-21-2005, 12:36 AM
Luck runs in very long streaks good or bad. I think this was probably the case with you.

you got lucky for a long run of cards and it made you think you were a winning player. but you aren't... sorry /images/graemlins/frown.gif

MicroBob
10-21-2005, 12:40 AM
win 15BB/100 in a 1k+ hand stretch and you're "running REALLY well but also playing some TERRIFIC poker."

lost 15BB/100 in a 1k+ hand stretch and you're just "running REALLY bad and also probably playing not-so-great."

everyone is RIGHT THERE with that first quote every time it happens.
Not everyone finds that 2nd quote when in a bad downswing however.

It goes both ways people.
Sometimes you are catching great breaks..other times nothing goes your way.
Sometimes you are playing good poker...other times you are not.

Learning to deal with this very obvious reality is the tricky part.

10-21-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
win 15BB/100 in a 1k+ hand stretch and you're "running REALLY well but also playing some TERRIFIC poker."

lost 15BB/100 in a 1k+ hand stretch and you're just "running REALLY bad and also probably playing not-so-great."

everyone is RIGHT THERE with that first quote every time it happens.
Not everyone finds that 2nd quote when in a bad downswing however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my point. I've read your posts for a while now and it seems like you know their will be good times and bad times. When the majority of us (not everyone) goes on a huge downswing I think it's common to think there's something stopping us from winning. Is it true... of course not. Even knowing that, it doesn't stop the thought from crossing our minds.

tonypaladino
10-21-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guthrie
10-21-2005, 02:07 AM
Scoff. Scoff.

jzpiano14
10-21-2005, 02:24 AM
Play some BJ at party, its not rigged, EVERYBODY WINS!

tomdemaine
10-21-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is not for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok your word is diaphragm. Thats diaphragm

Go!

Guernica4000
10-21-2005, 08:18 AM
"something fishy at party? "

You?

BTW don't you know Poker is rigged and that is why you were a winning player?

Now Party will just move the money around to the next player and so on and so forth until the rake takes it all away.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mackthefork
10-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Yes, but I'm sure what he actually meant is that now it all happens in 4 days, instead of playing out over a month. Hence more severe.

Mack

pudley4
10-21-2005, 08:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a 250BB downswing over 10K hands, it doesnt matter if those 10K hands were at 1 table, or 8. Its exactly the same. Obviously since you can play 10K hands faster 8 tabling, you wont be running bad as long as if it was all 1 table. But there is no difference.

This is assuming you had the same winrate multitabling as you do single tabling. Which obviously isnt true. So multitabling you will experince more downswings(relative to single tabling) as a result of a lower winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's only comparing the length of time that they last. Tornado = multitabler (8 tables) goes on a 5000 hand losing streak; this can be over in a day. Hurricane = recreational player (1 table, 1 hr/day); his same losing streak will last 3 months /images/graemlins/blush.gif

crunchy1
10-21-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am a long term winner and also have suffered through numerous downswings.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is doubtful given that I've read the rest of your post.

jman220
10-21-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just a downswing..part of the job description

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely its just the long term catching up with him.

10-21-2005, 11:04 AM
<-----

BigBiceps
10-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Party is rigged.

Play on other sites, they probably detertmined that you won too much and now they are in the extraction process from you.

321Mike
10-21-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's true if the downswing is completely due to variance. However, if poor play is partially to blame you can see larger downswings multi-tabling. Most people will recover from tilt (or maybe call it playing sub-optimal poker) after one bad session. Unfortunately, you can put in a lot more poorly played hands in one session while multi-tabling.