PDA

View Full Version : notebook?

02-25-2002, 03:30 PM
I have read some material suggesting you keep a notebook at the table to keep track of your hourly winnings and maybe even hand to hand info. Having never tried it, I was wondering what the general feeling on someone with a notebook at a table is. I suppose someone writing after every hand would not be appreciated, but what if I only wrote down some basic money info every hour? Would the other players get annoyed? Or would they not really care? Thanks.

02-25-2002, 04:42 PM
No one is going to care if you are writing in a notebook after each hand. You are giving off a "tell" that you are serious about the game and also that you are likely (though not necessarily) a beginer, but I don't think this is something to be overly concerned about.

If someone gets annoyed, ignore them. No reasonible person will have a problem with you unless you slow down the game (if you are writing instead of playing your next hand).

BTW, I think what you want to keep track of at the table are interesting/trouble hands (and then you can post them here). The win/loss you can do at the end of the session.

Regards,

Paul Talbot

02-25-2002, 05:25 PM
I usually have a small notebook in my pocket. I will write down trouble hands or interesting hands for later analysis (as Paul Talbot mentioned above). I often do it away from the table while the hand is fresh in my mind, but have done it at the table. Don't spend a lot of time writing in the book at the table. I don't write down much, sometimes not enough to remember the hand when I go back to read it D'Oh. :-)

02-25-2002, 07:02 PM
I've seen people pull out notebooks a decent amount of times. I don't see anything wrong with it. I wouldn't keep track of everything. Maybe hands you feel you misplayed, write down a summary of the hand. Definitely keep track of how long you played, how much you were + or -, hourly rate. Don't slow up the game though, and I'd say make it obvious you're writing, cause if you do try to hide it, you'll look suspicious and look like fish. No one should care.

02-25-2002, 08:27 PM
money per hour? pretty easy...check the clock at buyin ...subtract all buyins from cashout and check clock on way out. no need to do it every hour.

i play at times with a guy who records every hand hes in. he's done it for 7 years he said. says that way he knows how his hands hold up. my first question was ...why? for about $20 you can buy a book that's already done the work for ya.

what i would keep track of most, is the players. thats the one variable you wont find in a book. see a player play a while, write some notes on his play.

after watchin the 7 year guy, noone really cares about him writing. thats like someone getting offended at people who read at the table between hands. i would just recommend keeping track 'handwise', hands that gave ya some trouble.

i mean, how useful is ...

saw the flop with T9s in x position, with 5 players...flop came AKK rainbow. someone bet, someone raised, i folded.

wow...that told ya alot.

to where on the same hand, you could write info on how others played this type of flop and with what. now THAT, to me, would be much more beneficial.

just some ideas...

b