PDA

View Full Version : Another journalist weighs in on the "real" Iraq war reason

Easy E
06-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Because We Could
Thomas L. Friedman
New York Times Op-Ed Columnist
Wednesday, June 4, 2003 Posted: 7:02 AM EDT (1102 GMT)

The failure of the Bush team to produce any weapons of mass destruction (W.M.D.'s) in Iraq is becoming a big, big story. But is it the real story we should be concerned with? No. It was the wrong issue before the war, and it's the wrong issue now.

Why? Because there were actually four reasons for this war: the real reason, the right reason, the moral reason and the stated reason.

The "real reason" for this war, which was never stated, was that after 9/11 America needed to hit someone in the Arab-Muslim world. Afghanistan wasn't enough because a terrorism bubble had built up over there — a bubble that posed a real threat to the open societies of the West and needed to be punctured. This terrorism bubble said that plowing airplanes into the World Trade Center was O.K., having Muslim preachers say it was O.K. was O.K., having state-run newspapers call people who did such things "martyrs" was O.K. and allowing Muslim charities to raise money for such "martyrs" was O.K. Not only was all this seen as O.K., there was a feeling among radical Muslims that suicide bombing would level the balance of power between the Arab world and the West, because we had gone soft and their activists were ready to die.

The only way to puncture that bubble was for American soldiers, men and women, to go into the heart of the Arab-Muslim world, house to house, and make clear that we are ready to kill, and to die, to prevent our open society from being undermined by this terrorism bubble. Smashing Saudi Arabia or Syria would have been fine. But we hit Saddam for one simple reason: because we could, and because he deserved it and because he was right in the heart of that world. And don't believe the nonsense that this had no effect. Every neighboring government — and 98 percent of terrorism is about what governments let happen — got the message. If you talk to U.S. soldiers in Iraq they will tell you this is what the war was about.

The "right reason" for this war was the need to partner with Iraqis, post-Saddam, to build a progressive Arab regime. Because the real weapons of mass destruction that threaten us were never Saddam's missiles. The real weapons that threaten us are the growing number of angry, humiliated young Arabs and Muslims, who are produced by failed or failing Arab states — young people who hate America more than they love life. Helping to build a decent Iraq as a model for others — and solving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict — are the necessary steps for defusing the ideas of mass destruction, which are what really threaten us.

The "moral reason" for the war was that Saddam's regime was an engine of mass destruction and genocide that had killed thousands of his own people, and neighbors, and needed to be stopped.

But because the Bush team never dared to spell out the real reason for the war, and (wrongly) felt that it could never win public or world support for the right reasons and the moral reasons, it opted for the stated reason: the notion that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction that posed an immediate threat to America. I argued before the war that Saddam posed no such threat to America, and had no links with Al Qaeda, and that we couldn't take the nation to war "on the wings of a lie." I argued that Mr. Bush should fight this war for the right reasons and the moral reasons. But he stuck with this W.M.D. argument for P.R. reasons.

Once the war was over and I saw the mass graves and the true extent of Saddam's genocidal evil, my view was that Mr. Bush did not need to find any W.M.D.'s to justify the war for me. I still feel that way. But I have to admit that I've always been fighting my own war in Iraq. Mr. Bush took the country into his war. And if it turns out that he fabricated the evidence for his war (which I wouldn't conclude yet), that would badly damage America and be a very serious matter.

But my ultimate point is this: Finding Iraq's W.M.D.'s is necessary to preserve the credibility of the Bush team, the neocons, Tony Blair and the C.I.A. But rebuilding Iraq is necessary to win the war. I won't feel one whit more secure if we find Saddam's W.M.D.'s, because I never felt he would use them on us. But I will feel terribly insecure if we fail to put Iraq onto a progressive path. Because if that doesn't happen, the terrorism bubble will reinflate and bad things will follow. Mr. Bush's credibility rides on finding W.M.D.'s, but America's future, and the future of the Mideast, rides on our building a different Iraq. We must not forget that.

IrishHand
06-04-2003, 07:33 PM
But we hit Saddam for one simple reason: because we could, and because he deserved it and because he was right in the heart of that world.
Nevermind the fact that he considers the three above reasons to be "one simple reason" - his argument would be better used in a Sopranos storyline (why one mob guy whacks another) than in international politics. I had a tough time reading his article after this quote and with good reason - he wasted all his ideas on his one simple reason.

MMMMMM
06-04-2003, 11:31 PM
The Sopranos are cultured and restrained compared to Saddam and his thugs. It is doubtful, however, that they would have displayed as much patience as did the U.N. and the U.S. regarding Saddam's antics and BS over the years.

http://www.strangecosmos.com/view.adp?picture_id=2244

John Ho
06-05-2003, 12:54 AM
Yeah but he makes some good points. There was a belief out there that the U.S. was soft and that terrorism would work. In a way it did since Bush is pushing for a Palestinian state and Arab nations are seemingly taking terrorism more seriously.

Who knows....I didn't support the war but maybe it will turn out for the best. It's impossible to justify killing some Arabs to teach other Arabs a lesson but what's done is done.

Ray Zee
06-05-2003, 01:29 AM
it totally does not matter if they find any wmd or not. the president lied and said they had proof of them. when in fact they had no such proof. any time you have a leader that just lies to the people to get his agenda, you have a tyrant. whether it works out in iraq for the best or not, the method is scary. the difference between us and them is alot smaller.

andyfox
06-05-2003, 01:33 AM

MMMMMM
06-05-2003, 01:57 AM
Ray,

At this point I'm far from convinced that Bush lied (although it's possible), and I do think Saddam probably took advantage of his ample warning time to disassemble some of his gear and/or ship it to Syria or Lebanon.

Just because we knew for sure he had biological and chemical weapons months ago doesn't necessarily imply precise knowledge of their locations now. And just what the heck were those trailer truck labs for growing bacteria anyway, all nicely scrubbed clean, if they weren't to make toxins for WMD?

Also, when the inspectors left Iraq years ago, it was known by everyone that Saddam still had chemical weapons. He claimed to have later unilaterally destroyed them, but given the international pressure and sanctions, wouldn't he have been motivated to have offered at least some evidence of this? He never did, so it stands to reason that he never unilaterally destroyed these weapons and stocks after he kicked out the inspectors. Actually just about everything points in that direction.

It's also quite possible that some of the intelligence information we had was not as reliable as we thought it was. But even if some was mistaken, I'll bet there was enough that was reliable to be reasonably sure. Whether one chooses to call it "proof" may depend on one's requirements for degree of certainty. However being wrong in this case and allowing Saddam to continue with his WMD programs could have resulted in a situation where we virtually couldn't act, or where we might find ourselves or our allies attacked somehow.

Again, the recently found trailer labs...this guy was a heckuva lot more interested in WMD than in creating new flu shots.

If Bush did flat out lie I agree it's quite disturbing. But my guess is that at most the administration pushed an agenda and had some evidence to back it up, although some of the evidence may not have been as reliable as previously thought.

John Ho
06-05-2003, 02:17 AM
Very true....for some reason my moral outrage was missing from my earlier post.

Perhaps I'm just too skeptical that Teflon Bush will suffer any consequences of his deception and was trying to make the best of it.

MMMMMM
06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
I'm a bit amazed that so many are jumping to the conclusion that Bush deceived on this issue.

IrishHand
06-05-2003, 05:53 AM
Just like you were a bit amazed that most people on this planet were vociferously opposed to the US invasion of Iraq?

adios
06-05-2003, 10:10 AM
I agree with your points. However, I'd point out that apparently Clinton reached the same conclusion that Bush did given his, Clinton's, statements about Iraq and WMD's and the subsequent bombings of Iraq in the Clinton administration. Two possible scenarios could be one that they're both promulgating the same lie or the information that led them to the conclusion is faulty. I know some people might propose two others that Bush was lying while Clinton had faulty information or that Bush had faulty information and Clinton was lying.

John Ho
06-05-2003, 08:37 PM
He's right though...we shouldn't rush to judgement yet.

I have a feeling that Bush might be sandbagging the Democrats before the election. This way they can make a huge issue of it for the election and then get pounded when he reveals intelligence on the matter. Whether the intelligence is credible will be irrelevant. The Democrats will look weak on national security and Bush will look a hero again.

Either way...the war was still wrong.

MMMMMM
06-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Well most of the Iraqis themselves ended up in favor of the War to Remove Saddam, didn't they? Just goes to show how wrong those who opposed the war were. But hey the rest of the world had an excuse: they didn't have to live under the constant threat of "disappearing" the way everyone in Iraq had to worry about it--since virtually every family in Iraq had a relative who had "disappeared" according to one exile.

Most Iraqis are glad we liberated them, despite their current problems--and it's utterly repugnant to hold misguided world opinion as a standard, when the people who were liberated have themselves for the most part expressed gratitude that Saddam's regime is gone.

In other words, Irish: by expressing gratitude at their liberation, the Iraqi people have basically told the world to take its misguided world opinion and shove it. But the world apparently still isn't listening, and there are more important matters for the Iraqi people to address now.

I guess it also depends on whether one thinks world opinion or Iraqi opinion is more indicative of the Iraqi people's needs and wants, and who knows better the degree of their prior sufferings?

Unfortunately, the liberal opposition to this war seems to me to smack of Politics over Compassion, and Politics over Empathy.