PDA

View Full Version : Wheel of Time

Greg J
10-20-2005, 08:07 PM
The new book is out -- and I'm getting it tomorrow. It's crazy that I have been reading these books since HS, and I'm in (hopefully!) my last year as a grad student now. There is a lot of stuff to remember, and since I am in the process of writing my dissertation and I like to play a little [censored] too, I don't have time to re-read the thousands and thousands of pages of these big ass novels.

So, does anyone know a synopsis I can read to outline the major points. I think I remember Egwene has been captured by the Black Ajah, but I can't for the life of me remember what Mat, Perrin, Rand, Aveinda, and others are doing, where Mordeth is... etc. Any good links from fellow WoT fans?

Thanks
Greg

flatline
10-20-2005, 08:10 PM
I can't understand why people read this series. Do you just love to bore yourself to death? Just quit now and read something worthwhile.

10-20-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I can't understand why people read this series. Do you just love to bore yourself to death? Just quit now and read something worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you want to post a list of the worthwhile books? I'd love to print it and take it to my local library. See, they got all those damned shelves just filled up and I know they can use the room for something really wonderful instead a lot of crappy books that you just absolutely know for sure nobody has any business reading and forming their own opinion of.

Vish
10-21-2005, 02:59 AM
There are some summaries here:

http://hem.passagen.se/wotcomp/

There are some funny summaries here:

http://meikon.homeip.net/extras/Wheel_of_Time-Summaries/

And lots of discussion here:

http://www.speedreading.com/phpBB2/forum41.html

FWIW, The new book is much better than the last one, but fairly uneventful nevertheless. It's a fun enough read for when you need to read without thinking too hard.

ChipWrecked
10-21-2005, 04:13 AM
If Robert Jordan dies before he finishes this damn thing, I hope to see him in Hell.

I hope he will be wearing a simple, stout wool gray peasant dress with a low, scooped neck, and yanking his friggin' braid for all he's worth.

(non-fans may ignore ^ rant)

Dynasty
10-21-2005, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If Robert Jordan dies before he finishes this damn thing, I hope to see him in Hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the author who has said he doesn't intend to finish the series. He's just going to continue writing in that universe since it's a good earner for him?

ChipWrecked
10-21-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the author who has said he doesn't intend to finish the series. He's just going to continue writing in that universe since it's a good earner for him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see continuing the universe and building some sort of canon, but this series is building toward an apocolyptic battle that will have to be fought eventually, or his earning will go down the drain.

daveymck
10-21-2005, 05:35 AM
I got up to book 8 I think and havent read it since, I hate it when the series isnt complete when I am reading it and it seems clear he aint in any hurry to complete it.

Shajen
10-21-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope he will be wearing a simple, stout wool gray peasant dress with a low, scooped neck, and yanking his friggin' braid for all he's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Yeah, he writes women real well.

Blood and bloody ashes, I've been reading this series since I was in high school.

I'm too far in to stop now. The last 4 books have been for [censored].

More Mat, less Rand and the chicks.

You hear me Jordan? We want more gambling and hot chicks.

Chobohoya
10-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Seriously I have no idea why anyone reads this garbage anymore. I got started 11 years ago on it. That's just wrong. After book 6, RJ totally abandoned moving the plot in order to write the most tedious 3000 pages ever. I last purchased one of his books 6 years ago, and I wish I hadn't.

ChipWrecked
10-21-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Yeah, he writes women real well.

Blood and bloody ashes, I've been reading this series since I was in high school.

I'm too far in to stop now. The last 4 books have been for [censored].

More Mat, less Rand and the chicks.

You hear me Jordan? We want more gambling and hot chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he'd get to the Big Catfight I'd be satisfied for the time being, but this road trip to the White Tower has gone on for like 3000 pages now. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

asofel
10-21-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hilarious

Reqtech
10-21-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously I have no idea why anyone reads this garbage anymore. I got started 11 years ago on it. That's just wrong. After book 6, RJ totally abandoned moving the plot in order to write the most tedious 3000 pages ever. I last purchased one of his books 6 years ago, and I wish I hadn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I stopped with book 8. It just got ridiculously boring. Then I discovered the Song of Fire and Ice (releasing in US in just a couple weeks) by George R R Martin.

The Wheel of What? Bah.

Shajen
10-21-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he'd get to the Big Catfight I'd be satisfied for the time being, but this road trip to the White Tower has gone on for like 3000 pages now. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]\

I agree. Let's get to the epic battle, Rand goes [censored] nuts and has a quintuplesum with the girls while the earth explodes around them.

The end.

vulturesrow
10-21-2005, 10:27 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I agree. Let's get to the epic battle, Rand goes [censored] nuts and has a quintuplesum with the girls while the earth explodes around them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget Mat. And Perrin might be the worst character ever written into a fantasy novel. He actually annoys me in much the same fashion as the protagonist from Thomas Covenant series.

swede123
10-21-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chipwrecked, you are a genius.

As far as Jordan goes, Tolkien he is not. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed the first several books, and I am curious how (if at all) it will all get wrapped up. In fact, I've been re-reading the series in anticipation of the new one. So far I'm on book 4 so I got some catching up to do.

Swede

StevieG
10-21-2005, 10:33 AM
I decided to stop when he wrote a whole book without mentioning Mat (after having a wall fall on him in the previous cliffhanger ending).

Mrs.StevieG got me "Winter's Heart" as a Christmas gift, though, so I read one more. Then I told her that I was through reading it.

When he finishes I'll likely borrow the last volumes fromthe public library and read them. But he'll get no more money from me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to cleanse the taint.

ChipWrecked
10-21-2005, 10:42 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/aksooted/rofl.gif

vulturesrow
10-21-2005, 11:00 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I decided to stop when he wrote a whole book without mentioning Mat (after having a wall fall on him in the previous cliffhanger ending).

Mrs.StevieG got me "Winter's Heart" as a Christmas gift, though, so I read one more. Then I told her that I was through reading it.

When he finishes I'll likely borrow the last volumes fromthe public library and read them. But he'll get no more money from me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to cleanse the taint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Howd your taint get dirty while you were posting? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

vulturesrow
11-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Just got done reading Knife of Dreams. Pretty much feel about it the way other have: its better than some of Jordan's recent offers but still isnt as good as the first few. I will say that I thought it moved some storylines along rather well, in particular that of Mat. Its worth reading if you havent given up on the series yet.

Matt Flynn
11-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Back to this series again I see.

Jordan has a huge wall chart with about 70 threads running. He lost control a long time ago. He seems to be under the impression that ballooning story lines serves a useful purpose. His pacing is as bad as it gets. I stole the last three books by skim-reading them in Borders. Book 8 took maybe 20 minutes.

His worst of all was starting a book with the cliffhanger of the Sisters of the Dark, a thread that has an obvious solution even in his universe where all women are hyperdysfunctional. He spent 10 pages on it, then did not return to it in that book. Utter tripe.

daveymck
11-15-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget Mat. And Perrin might be the worst character ever written into a fantasy novel. He actually annoys me in much the same fashion as the protagonist from Thomas Covenant series.

[/ QUOTE ]

But with Thomas Covanant I think you are meant to hate him as he hates himself, in the first books anyway. I quite liked those books better than the Gap books he followed it with.

11-15-2005, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But with Thomas Covanant I think you are meant to hate him as he hates himself, in the first books anyway. I quite liked those books better than the Gap books he followed it with.

[/ QUOTE ]

The next book is the last book, and I say thank god, I absolutely fell in love with the first, id say 5-6 books, but after that, pure [censored] filler. Here is the plotline of the last 5:

"Would you like some tea?" asked pointless bitchy Aes Sedai character #65 whose name sounds like everyone elses and confuses the [censored] out of me. As Nynaeve angrily pulled her braids (get it, its her character thing) she noticed that the thick brown tea was about four degrees warmer than the air around it, and that the pot was undoubtedly silver, with chasings 'round the rim. She put her arms under her full breast, feeling the silky confines of her indecent Taraboner dress, red with slashes of silver, much like other Aes Sedai wore in days past, though Elayne would have something to say about it in her frilly laced dress, black lace spilling over her neck and at the sleeves.

UGH WHO [censored] CAAAARES!!!!

Not to mention that Jordan seems to find every man inept and every woman a conniving bitch.

ChipWrecked
11-15-2005, 07:48 AM
I want to see Moraine come back; the characters treat her like she's dead, but she's only in that 'other dimension' and I have no doubt but what she'll return.

Maybe in Volume 22.

11-15-2005, 07:53 AM
jordan publicly stated that he's ending it next book.

oh, and before I read 11, Im assuming that Galad (or is that the brother) becomes the Whitecloak leader... leading up to the inevitable brother against brother battle when the other guy defends Egwene?

ChipWrecked
11-15-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
jordan publicly stated that he's ending it next book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe him.

daveymck
11-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Says on his blog that 12 will be the last althouhg there is some talk of some prequels and that book 12 may be very long.

Its a bit longwinded here too (http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/)

11-15-2005, 09:15 AM
Im just surprised he didnt avail us of the color, tempurature and taste of his coffee, nor what he was wearing when he wrote it.

I wonder where his talent went... the first 3 books were unreal, and the next 3 were good...maybe he stopped the drugs, or got married?

daveymck
11-15-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im just surprised he didnt avail us of the color, tempurature and taste of his coffee, nor what he was wearing when he wrote it.

I wonder where his talent went... the first 3 books were unreal, and the next 3 were good...maybe he stopped the drugs, or got married?

[/ QUOTE ]

He does mention what clothes he wears when doing a days writing, in answer to one of the questions further down the page.

11-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Oh god. The horror.

I cant wait for this to be over, because I have invested far too much time in it, and love the Mat character... though I wish he would mature already. The only really dynamic male character is Rand, even though it's in a [censored] way.

Slow Play Ray
11-15-2005, 09:40 AM
I got bored with his writing and stopped after book 2, but I also cannot wait for this series to end, because I am SO sick of hearing about it. Blah.