PDA

View Full Version : Jarhead

DoubleDown
10-20-2005, 07:19 PM
a flik about a marine's time spent in Iraq.
director is the same who did American Beauty.

do you expect this movie to be a deep & thought-provoking movie that will be worth watching or just some hoo-rah over-the-top patriotic propaganda that will truly [i]welcome you to the the suck[i]?

Boris
10-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Bro I am super stoked to see this flick. Sam Mendes is da man, if only for American Beauty. Road to Perdition was kind of lame but let's forget about that. Jarhead looks awesome. Hope it doesn't let me down.

[censored]
10-20-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm with Boris, I too am excited for this movie to come out. I'm big war/military movie guy anyways and this looks like it has a solid director, solid cast and a potentially fresh story.

Sightless
10-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Am i the only one who just can't stand Jamie Fox?

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Is he in this? That's disappointing.

mikech
10-20-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a flik about a marine's time spent in Iraq.
director is the same who did American Beauty.

do you expect this movie to be a deep & thought-provoking movie that will be worth watching or just some hoo-rah over-the-top patriotic propaganda that will truly welcome you to the the suck?

[/ QUOTE ]
from the previews it doesn't look at all "over-the-top patriotic." i dunno if it can be better than "three kings," though; that movie was great.

KneeCo
10-20-2005, 07:38 PM
the book (a first person account by the author) is far from patriotic boo ha ha.

The book is actually not about war so much as commradary between troops IMO. They spend the book competiting with one and other, making fun of one and another, fighting, saving each other from commiting suicide, assuring one and other that their girlfriends/wives back home aran't screwing around.

It's a really great book which when people ask me about it, I like to say is basically about what it feels like to be a guy.

I look foward to the film.

TheBlueMonster
10-20-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hoo-rah over-the-top patriotic propaganda

[/ QUOTE ]
it's explicitly clear from the preview that this is not the case. It's gonna be awesome

DoubleDown
10-20-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
it's explicitly clear from the preview that this is not the case. It's gonna be awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

you've never seen a crappy movie that's had decent-appearing previews?

DoubleDown
10-20-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bro I am super stoked to see this flick. Sam Mendes is da man, if only for American Beauty. Road to Perdition was kind of lame but let's forget about that. Jarhead looks awesome. Hope it doesn't let me down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mendes is also undertaking the production of "Kite Runner"
was a great book, i feel that he will do it well

DoubleDown
10-20-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why? overexposure? lack of talent?

Autocratic
10-20-2005, 07:50 PM
The preview with "Jesus Walks" as the theme song makes me so anxious to see it. It looks great.

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't care for him usually. I don't think he lacks talent. He can act when he chooses. I guess most of the things I've seen him in were just silly.

Sightless
10-20-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes yes yes

TheBlueMonster
10-20-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/confused.gif That has nothing to do with what the flick is about

mikech
10-20-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you're confusing the point. whether or not the movie will actually be "good" is an entirely different issue from whether the theme or bias or the movie is a jingoistic one; the previews obviously show that the tone isn't "patriotic" in the sense you used the word.

Exitonly
10-20-2005, 07:56 PM
just saw the preview for this, and actually considered making a post to say how interested i was.

Looks damn good. The ad was good.

DoubleDown
10-20-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just don't care for him usually. I don't think he lacks talent. He can act when he chooses. I guess most of the things I've seen him in were just silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel that every actor/actress does his/her own silly roles from time to time. oftentimes these roles are taken just to placate the production studios. no one can churn out oscar-winning performance after oscar-winning performance. i thought he was great in "Ray" and loved his performance as steamin' willy beamon in "Any Given Sunday". he's also slated for "Miami Vice", coming out next year. although i expect that to be one of his "silly" projects, especially given the fact that he's acting beside Colin Farrell.

[censored]
10-20-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the book (a first person account by the author) is far from patriotic boo ha ha.

The book is actually not about war so much as commradary between troops IMO. They spend the book competiting with one and other, making fun of one and another, fighting, saving each other from commiting suicide, assuring one and other that their girlfriends/wives back home aran't screwing around.

It's a really great book which when people ask me about it, I like to say is basically about what it feels like to be a guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn I had actually had that in my hand yesterday when at the book store but decided to pass because A) I wasn't sure if it was a book based on a movie (which I hate) and B) figured I could just see the movie first.

But the description looked really good and now with this post I think im going to have to pick it up next week when I go back.

TheBlueMonster
[ QUOTE ]
The preview with "Jesus Walks" as the theme song makes me so anxious to see it. It looks great.

[/ QUOTE ]
oh totally. It's awesome how they make it seem that the Kanye line "we're at war with..." is actually from the movie instead of the song.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
i feel that every actor/actress does his/her own silly roles from time to time. oftentimes these roles are taken just to placate the production studios. no one can churn out oscar-winning performance after oscar-winning performance. i thought he was great in "Ray" and loved his performance as steamin' willy beamon in "Any Given Sunday". he's also slated for "Miami Vice", coming out next year. although i expect that to be one of his "silly" projects, especially given the fact that he's acting beside Colin Farrell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked Ray. I thought Any Given Sunday was awful. It was like a whole movie with Foxx and Pacino having a contest over who could overact the worst.

DoubleDown
10-20-2005, 08:04 PM
gotcha ... my point was just that can you really tell the tone of a movie from a short preview? maybe you can get an idea for what the plot will be, but its pretty tough to be able to predict the slant with which a story will be portrayed.

flatline
10-20-2005, 08:05 PM
I think the movie looks great. At the very least it has the best trailer I've seen this year. That should be an oscar category.

sfer
10-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Search function. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3422393&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1)

DoubleDown
10-20-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At the very least it has the best trailer I've seen this year. That should be an oscar category.

[/ QUOTE ]

no doubt.

i love watching trailers (http://www.apple.com/trailers). one of my favorite websites.

ReDeYES88
10-20-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Damn I had actually had that in my hand yesterday when at the book store but decided to pass because A) I wasn't sure if it was a book based on a movie (which I hate) and B) figured I could just see the movie first.

But the description looked really good and now with this post I think im going to have to pick it up next week when I go back.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be doing yourself a favor to read the book before seeing the movie. Haven't seen the movie, so I can't speak to it's potential suckiness, but the book is great.

I would hate to see someone see the movie first and then not read the book on the off chance the movie blew.

The Yugoslavian
10-20-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno.

But he is very talented so I'm not sure what you're talking about /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Yugoslav

TheBlueMonster
10-20-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gotcha ... my point was just that can you really tell the tone of a movie from a short preview? maybe you can get an idea for what the plot will be, but its pretty tough to be able to predict the slant with which a story will be portrayed.

[/ QUOTE ]
in this case you sure as hell can

10-20-2005, 09:28 PM
First of all, its "oorahh" (the turkish infinitive "to kill"), second of all, whats wrong with an over-the-top patriotic movie? Did Top Gun suck? No, it didn't.

One last point, you really can't make an over the top war movie about the Gulf War like you can with Vietnam or WWII because the intensity and horror of the fighting and dying are not even comparable. So therefore I would expect it to be about bonding and brotherhood etc.

SoCalRugger
10-20-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One last point, you really can't make an over the top war movie about the Gulf War like you can with Vietnam or WWII because the intensity and horror of the fighting and dying are not even comparable. So therefore I would expect it to be about bonding and brotherhood etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
The author of Jarhead never fired a shot in combat, right? So I don't think there's going to be much actual fighting in this one. Probably not going to be as much action as Black Hawk Down.

JihadOnTheRiver
10-20-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm quite sure that it will be exactly the opposite. I really think you're gonna see an "America's foreign policy is A.F.U. and look how many kids are dying" type film.

Rick Nebiolo
10-20-2005, 10:05 PM
There was an OTT thread a couple months ago that discussed the upcoming movie and there was also some positive discussion of the book. I read it cover to cover inside a day and enjoyed it quite a bit.

~ Rick

10-20-2005, 10:08 PM
The movie is about desert storm, bunkie

JihadOnTheRiver
10-20-2005, 10:25 PM
i'm aware of that. bunkie? ok. also, i will def. still be watching this movie. this is merely my perception from the trailer and a stereotype based on almost all mainstream hollywood movies. bunkie.

Shajen
10-21-2005, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, its "oorahh"

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, it's Oohrah.

At least the officially adopted spelling the Corps has chosen is anyway.

jakethebake
10-21-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, it's Oohrah.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and technically, that's pretty much a West coast Marine thing, or at least it used to be. Maybe it's migrated now. PI marines used to make fun of SD Marines for oohrah.

jakethebake
10-21-2005, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, its "oorahh" (the turkish infinitive "to kill")

[/ QUOTE ]
This is very interesting. I did not know this, and knowing it makes oohrah a little less gay.

[ QUOTE ]
the intensity and horror of the fighting and dying are not even comparable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't tell that to those of us that have seen people die there. The sheer magnitude of death may be less, but it's no less intense or horrific.

JihadOnTheRiver
10-21-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, it's Oohrah.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and technically, that's pretty much a West coast Marine thing, or at least it used to be. Maybe it's migrated now. PI marines used to make fun of SD Marines for oohrah.

[/ QUOTE ]

SD marines would in turn make fun of PI marines for herpes.

samjjones
10-21-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He was great in "Booty Call"...

Shajen
10-21-2005, 10:19 AM
yeah, us "Hollywood" Marines enjoyed making fun of you PI guys.

Enjoy your sand fleas.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
10-21-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Enjoy your sand fleas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Hollywood Marine myself.

swede123
10-21-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, there wasn't the breadth of fighting and chaos during the Gulf war that happened during previous conflicts. But based on some things I've read there certainly was plenty of intense fighting and dying to fill a dozen movies.

Swede

Shajen
10-21-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Enjoy your sand fleas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Hollywood Marine myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, Texas and all that. Doh

fsuplayer
10-21-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i almost started a thread yesterday saying exacting this.

I cant remember the last film i have been this excited about seeing.

ptmusic
10-21-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm quite sure that it will be exactly the opposite. I really think you're gonna see an "America's foreign policy is A.F.U. and look how many kids are dying" type film.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my prediction............ and hope.

-ptmusic

JihadOnTheRiver
10-21-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...and hope.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

why the devil would you say something like that?

jakethebake
10-21-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...and hope.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

why the devil would you say something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just as soon the movie be about the people and events there and not try to make some big political statement either way. That's exactly why I rarely go see new war movies. They seem unable to make them w/o this kind of crap these days.