PDA

View Full Version : JJ OOP v.s. tagish re-reaise

bobdibble
10-20-2005, 05:57 PM
This is a pretty basic question, but I'm still new to NL play.

Home game. 1/2 blinds

I have ~220.
Villain has ~140.

The rest of the table left to act after villain had decent sized stacks, all with $150 to $350.

I raise JJ to $7 in UTG+2 ($7 was the f-around raise size)

Tagish villain makes on my right makes it $17 (which was the f-around reraise size) Note that villain is tag pre-flop, but just can't get away from hands post flop.

Folded around to me.

If he has an overpair I have odds to flop a set, and I'm 100% confident I'll be able to stack him if he has an overpair.

I call.

More on the pre-flop reraise: he's reraising KK/AA 100% of the time here. With TT-QQ, AKo+, AQs 75% reraise 75% of the time and call the rest.

Also note that half-pot bets have been getting raised on the flop or turn with some pretty marginal holdings (A high, bottom pair, air, etc) when the raiser thinks you missed and are trying to take it. This guy hasn't been doing much of that, but I suspect he did it to another player at least once.

Flop: 3 ragedy pieces of crap below 9.

What's my plan?

BobboFitos
10-20-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Loc: Folding is for quiters

[/ QUOTE ]

good spot to be a quitter

rikz
10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
If villain is the kind of guy that folds, or better yet, just calls with a missed AK/AQ, then lead into him on the flop for 3/4 pot. Reevaluate your situation on the turn if he calls that bet, but probably fold to a raise on the flop or too much more action from him on later streets since any preflop re-raising pair other than TT has you beat.

If villain is the kind of guy that pushes the flop after reraising whether he has AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, or whatever, then I think check/folding is better unless you pick up some kind of tell from the way he bets, plays with his chips, looks at you, or holds his cards to indicate that he's bluffing. Why so weak?

Because I generally like to stick with my initial plan preflop when playing a pair like 99/TT/JJ/QQ. In this case, you made a decision preflop to play for a set. If you really thought you're hand was best preflop more often than not, why not 3-bet or just push in order to make him pay to hit an A, K or Q with AK/AQ? Since you took the 7.5:1 shot at the set and missed, don't change your plan. Check/fold and move on. You may be folding the best hand, but waiting to catch the set against this villain will ultimately stack him if he plays this way consistently. If you go all in w/ JJ and this is one of those 60% or 70% of the time that he really has the big pair, then you've played into his game and he's stacked you.