PDA

View Full Version : the colbert report

chuddo
10-20-2005, 04:01 PM
this show premiered the other day and so far i really like it. every episode has been pretty great.

i have always been a big fan of colbert's work on the daily show, and his work on the show 'strangers with candy'. the book he co-authored 'wigfield' is very funny as well.

the painting of him standing in front of a painting of himself is classic.

the daily show/colbert report is the perfect combination and i will be watching nightly.

sadly it is followed up by the floundering adam corolla show. which, with the exception of steve-o acting like an idiot, is unwatchable and awkward.

http://homepage.mac.com/hbsherwood/images/colbert1.jpg

canis582
10-20-2005, 04:05 PM
I dont get cable but my pops is recording it on his PC and I will burn it onto a dvd this weekend.

Adam Corolla was much better when he was making fun of people with sexual dysfunction on loveline. Come to think of it, anyone would be funny in that role.

[censored]
10-20-2005, 04:06 PM
I watched the first one and didn't think much of it at all but I wasn't really paying attention. Everyone I know who has watched it has a similar opinion as yourself so I'm going to give it another chance. Although truth be told I haven't really been into the Dailey Show much either starting early last summer. Seems like the jokes and themes are somewhat repitive at this point.

ClaytonN
10-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Adam Carolla's stuff doesn't really work for TV. Much better for radio when you don't have to be visually stimulated.

Colbert's show is good, definitely. I just think the concepts could get old. Namely the smart-assery and constant mimicking of the O'Reilly Factor.

lighterjobs
10-20-2005, 04:14 PM
so colbert will still be on the daily show?

Exitonly
10-20-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Adam Carolla's stuff doesn't really work for TV. Much better for radio when you don't have to be visually stimulated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam going with no studio audience was the dumbest thing he's ever done.. makes for INCREDIBLY awkward moments.

Did anyone see the episode where Steve-o was absolutely hammered and started breaking things?

THAT was fantastic.

chuddo
10-20-2005, 04:25 PM
don't know. im sure he is spending all of his time writing and preparing for his own show, so probably not.

i'm sure it is only a matter of time until he does a good guest spot on the daily show though.

pooh74
10-20-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this show premiered the other day and so far i really like it. every episode has been pretty great.

i have always been a big fan of colbert's work on the daily show, and his work on the show 'strangers with candy'. the book he co-authored 'wigfield' is very funny as well.

the painting of him standing in front of a painting of himself is classic.

the daily show/colbert report is the perfect combination and i will be watching nightly.

sadly it is followed up by the floundering adam corolla show. which, with the exception of steve-o acting like an idiot, is unwatchable and awkward.

http://homepage.mac.com/hbsherwood/images/colbert1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the Corolla show...I think he is really funny which is sometimes lost by that fact that he has no audience.

Steve-O was probably the highlight so far admittedly.

JordanIB
10-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Colbert's first episode on Monday night was awful. First 2 1/2 minutes were solid....steep downhill dive after that.

I haven't gotten a chance to see another episode since.

PITTM
10-20-2005, 05:27 PM
i dont know what you thought was awful about it. i loved it. he is also hosting a fake news show. i dont think he will be on the daily show anymore, they got a few new reporters (rob cordrys little brother...<3) to replace colbert. this is all in good fun and theyre not actually serious about their "liberalness" if thats why all the conservatives hate it. i would say more than anything its just a satire of what is actually going on daily in our government, and theres soooo much stupid crap they will have a hard time running out of material.

rj

KneeCo
10-20-2005, 05:32 PM
You probably could have guessed this, but I love the new show (mainly because I despise the show's he is parodying).

All talk show hosts, news or entertainment, take a while to get their groove and I think Colbert is way ahead of the curve (look at Conan when he started and compare that to how comfortable and quick he is now).

I think the episodes thus far have been very promising, and I think the interviews are already better than most on television, the one from the first episode with Stone Phillips was classic. The rest of the stuff needs some polish, but it will get there.

Also, for the poster you asked, I think Colbert is off the Daily Show completely, they have hired on some new correspondents and last night they did "This Week in God" with Rob Corddry so I'm fairly sure he wont be doing pieces for them anymore.

Now if only CTV (the Canadian station that shows the daily show) would start showing this too, I wouldn't have to download every damn episode.

KJS
10-20-2005, 05:35 PM
This Week in God was done by Rob Cordry last night. Downgrade.

KJS

10-20-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Colbert's first episode on Monday night was awful. First 2 1/2 minutes were solid....steep downhill dive after that.

I haven't gotten a chance to see another episode since.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my feeling too. I'll probably give it another try but I'm not optimistic. I think he's really talented but I'm not sure if he can carry his own show.

JaBlue
10-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I like the daily show a lot, wasn't too impressed by Colbert. He stumbled a lot last night and the jokes weren't that great. I turned it off after 5 minutes but I'll give it another chance tonight

Jack of Arcades
10-20-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This Week in God was done by Rob Cordry last night. Downgrade.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Huge downgrade, although I never found that segment very funny.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-20-2005, 07:03 PM
I caught a good chunk of the show yesterday and didn't think it was any good at all. As far as I could tell, it was a just a ripoff from the Daily Show with a lower quality 'anchor' and even lower content. Colbert was funny the first 500 or so times he pulled his schtick on the Daily Show, but it gets old fast and a whole show of him is just too much.

Jorge10
10-20-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although truth be told I haven't really been into the Dailey Show much either starting early last summer. Seems like the jokes and themes are somewhat repitive at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same problem, I was a fan of the daily show, but I think I saw it too much. The jokes just got very repetitive and I needed to watch something else.

Also I saw the Colbert report, I like it. The only thing is that I cant tell when he isnt kidding sometimes. The man's sarcasm is endless.

Also the Adam Corolla show went downhill when he removed the audience. Its just so quiet now, it makes it hard to watch, Comedy Central should add at least a laugh track.

chuddo
10-20-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also the Adam Corolla show went downhill when he removed the audience. Its just so quiet now, it makes it hard to watch, Comedy Central should add at least a laugh track.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the adam corolla show should at least take the old Talk Soup route and have their crew and whatnot laugh it up loud and act goofy. would make it less awkward.

beckham9
10-20-2005, 07:40 PM
best part is the pronounciation of report. Re-por

Jorge10
10-20-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the adam corolla show should at least take the old Talk Soup route and have their crew and whatnot laugh it up loud and act goofy. would make it less awkward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Also I still dont get why he removed the audience, sometimes they would even be funny like when they yelled random stuff after he said something that either bombed or was funny.

jdl22
10-23-2005, 06:31 PM
I liked it better than the Daily show I would say. If he keeps interviewing other reporters and news people that would be good because they make entertaining guests.

The Lisa Loeb (sp) bit was amazing. I don't remember the last time I laughed that hard watching a tv show. Brilliant.

uw_madtown
10-23-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I caught a good chunk of the show yesterday and didn't think it was any good at all. As far as I could tell, it was a just a ripoff from the Daily Show with a lower quality 'anchor' and even lower content. Colbert was funny the first 500 or so times he pulled his schtick on the Daily Show, but it gets old fast and a whole show of him is just too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I've only seen one of the Colbert Report episodes, but Jon Stewart's a much better fit for a satirical news show. First off, he's much better at smoothly transitioning into serious questioning of his guests. When Colbert was questioning the guy from Newsweek International, it was very sudden and awkward when he switched from (bad) comedy questions like "The world: why should I care?" to serious questions about the Iraq constitution. Stewart manages to make jokes but still seem interested and informed about his guests.

Secondly, Colbert is entirely too serious about the satire. Stewart's delivery is perfect -- serious for the delivery, and then he smiles/laughs in that smart-ass way that shows his true opinion without totally breaking character. Colbert just stays in parody mode the whole time. Which is still funny, but it's just less interesting.

Combine Colbert's shortcomings compared to Stewart with the fact that he's being asked to carry an entire show himself (something I think would be difficult even for someone as talented as Stewart) and I can't imagine The Colbert Report living up to The Daily Show. It's still somewhat funny though, and will probably get good enough ratings from TDS's lead-in that it'll hang around for awhile.