PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who's Right: Barry Greenstein or Phil Gordon?

Paul Thomson
10-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Two opposing advice from two of the best players in the game.

From Phil Gordon's new book, "Phil Gordon's Little Green Book", in the section titled, "Beating Loose Players", it reads, "The biggest mistake that loose players make is putting too much money n the pot without a premium hand. To beath these players, I find it's correct to play tight. It is very difficult to flop a great hand... Since I know the loose player can't possibly have a great hand every time he bets, I just have to wait until I have a great hand that connects with the flop. From there it's east to bet or raise and take the pot."

From Barry Greenstein's Book, "Ace On The River", it reads, "Lesson 8. Some Opponents will pressure you into making mistakes. Adjust your play to counteract their strategy...Opponents Tactic=Extremly loose play. Typical INCORRECT Adjustment= Wait for a good hand. Better Adjustment=Loosen your standards and reraise frequently."

I was wondering if anyone wants to weigh in on the discrepancy between these respected authors and poker players.

pooh74
10-20-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Two opposing advice from two of the best players in the game.

From Phil Gordon's new book, "Phil Gordon's Little Green Book", in the section titled, "Beating Loose Players", it reads, "The biggest mistake that loose players make is putting too much money n the pot without a premium hand. To beath these players, I find it's correct to play tight. It is very difficult to flop a great hand... Since I know the loose player can't possibly have a great hand every time he bets, I just have to wait until I have a great hand that connects with the flop. From there it's east to bet or raise and take the pot."

From Barry Greenstein's Book, "Ace On The River", it reads, "Lesson 8. Some Opponents will pressure you into making mistakes. Adjust your play to counteract their strategy...Opponents Tactic=Extremly loose play. Typical INCORRECT Adjustment= Wait for a good hand. Better Adjustment=Loosen your standards and reraise frequently."

I was wondering if anyone wants to weigh in on the discrepancy between these respected authors and poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

neither, both.

10-20-2005, 03:43 PM
If you are an elite player like greenstein his advice is better, because he can presumably read the tenadancies and horrible mistakes of the horrible players after the flop. If you have trouble reading a bad player, playing tight will be profitable, just not as profitable as barry's alternative.

Jman28
10-20-2005, 03:44 PM
This depends a lot on the type of player you are. The more skilled you are postflop and the better read you have, the more you should be willing to play pots against loose players with marginal hands.

If you aren't that confident in your postflop skills (be honest with yourself) you should just play tight.

Jbrochu
10-20-2005, 04:14 PM
I think it depends. Against "bad" loose players, I think tightening up is a good strategy because you will eventually trap them for all their chips.

Against "good" loose players, you need to loosen up and play back at them with less than premium hands. It's unlikely you will trap them, and they will run over you otherwise.

I think the difference in opinion has more to do with the target audiance of each book.