PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal to gamble in ontario?

spoohunter
10-20-2005, 02:22 PM
I mean 10 guys sitting around a table playing poker. No rake.

10-20-2005, 02:34 PM
I doubt it.

Will you get busted up? I doubt it.

spoohunter
10-20-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt it.

Will you get busted up? I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your second sentence gives off the opposite impression of the first. IE, you are saying it is illegal but you won't get caught, but your first sentence says it's legal, given that I asked if it was illegal.

Benal
10-20-2005, 04:05 PM
I pretty sure it is illegal, but highly doubt you'd ever get caught, and if you were somehow caught, I doubt you'd get arrested.

10-21-2005, 04:22 AM
AFAIK,

Home games are legal in Ontario, as long as there is no entrance fee or rake. I've heard that some home games sell soft drinks (at a profit) and that (apparently) is legal.

private joker
10-21-2005, 06:07 AM
Last year when I went to Toronto for the Film Festival, the hotel where one of my friends was staying on Bloor actually opened up a conference room for us, so we could set up a table w/ chairs and chips, and play a home game after all the movies. I doubt the hotel would have done this if casual (i.e. non-club, non-raked) poker games were illegal.

10-21-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that some home games sell soft drinks (at a profit) and that (apparently) is legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would only be legal if the seller were to pay taxes to the government on her earnings.