PDA

View Full Version : How was this play?

10-20-2005, 02:20 PM
Ok, this is my first question I posted, so hopefully I will have given thorough information.

I was playing a $5.50 SnG on PokerRoom last night. Yes, I know that could mean any old moron playing any old way, but that's where I'm at right now and I just wanna know if I'm making the right play.

UTG - 1-2k
Hero - Just over 5k
SB - 1-2k
BB - Just over 6k

UTG folds to me, and I've got AQd. I raise the 100/200 blinds up to 600 (Call + 400). SB Folds, and BB calls. The flop comes Q J x, 2 diamonds. The BB bets 1k, and I raise all-in w/my top pair/top kick and nut flush draw. He rolls Q J, which holds.

I had a HUGE read on the guy in that he was barely every laying a hand down, let alone letting a turn go w/o raising. I put him on almost anything, but even giving him credit, I put at least an A or a K in his hand, which I had beat or tied in most cases unless they were a PP. I suppose in theory he could've hit a set with the blank, but I'm still not very great at considering that possibility in the moment. And as for me, the image I like to always portray is that of a tight/strong player who's raises have merit. I had just recently doubled up off a very strong hand to put myself in the position I was in.

I'd like to think I'm no donk, even though I'm a losing player online at the lowest levels. I've got HOH 1 and 2 under my belt, and just started Sklansky's TOP this week. I really feel like I've got to turn the corner any day. You could make the argument that I should sit back and wait for the money to come to me at all costs, but you could also make the argument that I've gotta play my strong hands to put myself in the best position possible when it comes to the money.

Who's the total moron? Me or the guy who called me?

Should I have raised even bigger preflop?? I figured this hand was strong enough for a minimal raise basically heads up. I wouldn't mind it coming to a showdown, and just wanted the remaining players to know I had something.

I realize all perceptions are skewed since this is a frickin 5.50 table, but pretend that at least *I* am supposed to know what I'm doing...did I play it wrong??

Thanks everyone!

valenzuela
10-20-2005, 02:23 PM
You played it fine I guess.

Indiana
10-20-2005, 02:31 PM
After a very quick read, this appears to be standard play.

Indy