PDA

View Full Version : Chockablock full?

housenuts
10-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Can I use the term 'chockablock full' in an academic essay?

I love this term and use it alot but not sure if it's ok for an essay. My course is kind of a joke anyways

Germanic Studies 487 - A Cultural History of Vampires in Literature and Film

i am writing a 3 page paper on Bram Stoker's Dracula and I want to say "Right from the beginning, the movie is chockablock full of the colour red." i think i'm gonna do it regardless, just wondering what others think.

as for the term, if it's not in your vocab it should be.

ie.
bob: how was the bar last night?
frank: awesome, it was chockablock full of hotties

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=chockablock

drewjustdrew
10-20-2005, 02:12 PM
that term is gayballs.

miajag81
10-20-2005, 02:14 PM
No way, unless you want a big "WTF???" in red ink on the essay when you get it back.

housenuts
10-20-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that term is gayballs.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that term is gayballs.

[/ QUOTE ]

4_2_it
10-20-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't see a problem with it. Just don't forget to add that Vlad the Impaler was All-County in 1395.

drewjustdrew
10-20-2005, 02:21 PM
An islander from the Pacific Island. Generally twice the weight and size of a normal human being, but at the same age.

Look at that chockablock, isn't he/she huge?

If that is your use, it should be allowed in a paper. The other use is lame. Damn you're young.

Dominic
10-20-2005, 03:11 PM
I used to teach Film Theory at Cal-Northridge. While I always appreciated non-standard English in an essay - if done sparingly and with a purpose - I would not like to see your example. I would probably red-circle it and grade you accordingly.

miajag81
10-20-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to teach Film Theory at Cal-Northridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh. "When shooting a double-penetration scene, the most desirable camera angle is from directly behind the guy on top's ass."

Dominic
10-20-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh. "When shooting a double-penetration scene, the most desirable camera angle is from directly behind the guy on top's ass."

[/ QUOTE ]

You nimrods always assume that's all I've done.

TheMainEvent
10-20-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No way, unless you want a big "WTF???" in red ink on the essay when you get it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed pretty hard at this

drewjustdrew
10-20-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does chockablock full apply in this example?

Los Feliz Slim
10-20-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Right from the beginning, the movie is chockablock full of the colour red."

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this: "Right from the beginning of the movie, the color red is out the wazoo."

10-20-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Dominic's posts. But this made me laugh.