PDA

View Full Version : Right move, or wait for a better place?

MtSmalls
06-04-2003, 11:32 AM
This seems to be my biggest weakness in tournaments, other than not getting a big stack early...

2 Table Sit and go at Stars last night, 10 players left, 5 at each table. I have doubled up recently to a whopping $1000TC and am 8th of 10. The player in the 1 seat goes all-in pre-flop for the third hand in a row. He has about $1400TC. The first all in he showed 9-2 off, but flopped a deuce and beat the overcards that called him (who had him covered, he would have been out). The second hand everyone folded. I'm on the button with K-J Suited.

What to do. My reasoning was this, its his third all-in in a row. He is making a move to either double up and give him a chance at the final table or be done and move on to the next tournament or whatever. So I called, he turned over A-K, flopped and Ace, turned a King and I was gone.

Was this the right move? I would have to move up to fourth to get into the money, so making the final table wasn't an issue. I think this was the right move, as I have to put the player on just about any 2, and KJ is a pretty good place to be.

Am I wrong about this?

ohkanada
06-04-2003, 11:45 AM
What were the blinds?

Ken Poklitar

Jon Matthews
06-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Hmmm, I'd say I'd fold here. You don't state the blinds, if they were big (100/200?) then I'd call some of the time but otherwise with small blinds wait and play the next hands as normal and try and built a stack with post flop play.

KJ isn't a bad hand to call an all in with if you have them covered and can see desperation but here, while it's true he could have any two cards, somewhere around half the time these players have a good starting hand and are hoping for a call based on their being previously caught speeding.

Jon

MtSmalls
06-04-2003, 11:51 AM
I don't remember exactly, but they were siginficant but not threatening, 75/150 maybe?

NutJob
06-04-2003, 12:01 PM
You're mid-way through the tournament and blinds arent threatening...that is still "play it tight, hope for some good flops in blinds or very cheap calls", territory. Until you are playing the stacks instead of the cards, when in doubt, fold.

ohkanada
06-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Well if the blinds are 50-100 then I definitely fold.

If they are 75-150 it is likely close to calling or folding. 5 handed the blinds are coming around quick. I know for myself If i raise 3 times in a row, the 3rd hand is usually a good hand since I know opponents are more likely to call me.

If they are 100-200 then I definitely call.

Ken Poklitar

yct
06-05-2003, 05:12 AM
I would wait for a better spot to gamble with him. The problem with KJ is this is not a good hand to go to show down as there's no ace. At least wait for Ax or medium pairs to gamble with him.