PDA

View Full Version : cashmere

chisness
10-20-2005, 11:28 AM
what do we think of cashmere? comfortable? soft? too expensive? worth it?

DarkForceRising
10-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Comfortable but over-priced and mildly gay. I'm a burlap guy, personally.

TheBlueMonster
10-20-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a burlap guy, personally.

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer steel wool.

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Comfortable but over-priced and mildly gay. I'm a burlap guy, personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums up my response perfectly.

vulturesrow
10-20-2005, 12:01 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome, totally pimp. Girls love it. 'Nuff said.

IndieMatty
10-20-2005, 12:01 PM
All of the above. "worth it?" is relative to your income.

rohjoh
10-20-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
girls love it, mildly gay, nuff said

[/ QUOTE ]

rohjoh
10-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Great Led Zep song

10-20-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Great Led Zep song

[/ QUOTE ]

M2d
10-20-2005, 12:28 PM
only if you kill the goat with your bare hands and drink its blood.

actually, it's pretty comfortable and pretty pricy, so I'll wear it if it's a gift or on some ridiculous clearance sale.

CollinEstes
10-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Cashmere PJs are the only way to go.

Aces McGee
10-20-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible Led Zep song that ruined the band for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

-McGee

Blarg
10-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Feels great, looks great, costs too much. Not a must have, but a nice treat. If you're going to wear a wool sweater, cashmere is the comfy way to do it.

jaydub
10-20-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Feels great, looks great, costs too much. Not a must have, but a nice treat. If you're going to wear a wool sweater, cashmere is the comfy way to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Merino is a passable alternative for the cost conscious.

vulturesrow
10-20-2005, 12:57 PM
costs too much

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont understand this. Too much compared to what? Does anyone here understand basic economics? (not picking on you specifically Blarg, you just happened to be the last. /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

jaydub
10-20-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
costs too much

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont understand this. Too much compared to what? Does anyone here understand basic economics? (not picking on you specifically Blarg, you just happened to be the last. /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Other sweaters? Why does this violate basic economics?

vulturesrow
10-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Other sweaters made of materials that are much easier obtain you mean? Is that really comparable? Certainly arguments on both sides. My economics comment is basically directed to the point that things cost what people are willing to pay for them. If people werent willing to pay "too much" for cashmere clothing, it wouldnt cost "too much".

miajag81
10-20-2005, 01:13 PM
I used to be anti-cashmere, but someone gave me a cashmere sweater last year and I love it. And so do girls.

Sponger15SB
10-20-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was a little girl in Panama, a rich American came to our town and he was wearing the softest most beautiful sweater. I said to him, "what do you call this most beautiful fabric?", and he said "they call it cashmere". I repeated the words "cashmere, cashmere". I asked if I could have it, and he said "No. Get away from me." Then he started walk away. But I grabbed onto his leg screaming for him to give me the sweater and he dragged me through the street. And then he kicked at me with the other foot and threw some change at me. Oh, but I didn't want the change. I wanted the cashmere.

miajag81
10-20-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was a little girl in Panama, a rich American came to our town and he was wearing the softest most beautiful sweater. I said to him, "what do you call this most beautiful fabric?", and he said "they call it cashmere". I repeated the words "cashmere, cashmere". I asked if I could have it, and he said "No. Get away from me." Then he started walk away. But I grabbed onto his leg screaming for him to give me the sweater and he dragged me through the street. And then he kicked at me with the other foot and threw some change at me. Oh, but I didn't want the change. I wanted the cashmere.

[/ QUOTE ]

jeez, i didn't read the rest of the thread before posting and assumed someone had probably already beaten me to this.

jaydub
10-20-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Other sweaters made of materials that are much easier obtain you mean? Is that really comparable? Certainly arguments on both sides. My economics comment is basically directed to the point that things cost what people are willing to pay for them. If people werent willing to pay "too much" for cashmere clothing, it wouldnt cost "too much".

[/ QUOTE ]

Your economics knowledge is basic. A rational buyer will make an individual decision about the value of an item to him and not pay more than that. Cashmere can be said to "cost too much" for the buyers with a valuation of cashmere less than the cost.

BoogerFace
10-20-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to be anti-cashmere, but someone gave me a cashmere sweater last year and I love it. And so do girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any garment that encourages women to touch you is a good thing.

vulturesrow
10-20-2005, 01:29 PM
I understand that. It doesnt change my point that the price of cashmere is the price of cashmere for a reason. So we can both agree that posters that said cashmere is too much was speaking in personal terms, which may or may not have been what the OP was looking for. But in broader terms, it cant really cost "too much".

arod15
10-20-2005, 01:52 PM
I dont like it all that much for the price. I only buy it for coats....

Sephus
10-20-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand that. It doesnt change my point that the price of cashmere is the price of cashmere for a reason. So we can both agree that posters that said cashmere is too much was speaking in personal terms, which may or may not have been what the OP was looking for. But in broader terms, it cant really cost "too much".

[/ QUOTE ]

you look like an ass in this thread. it looks like you've taken econ 101 and are trying to show off or something.

lighterjobs
10-20-2005, 03:55 PM
I think puff daddy covered this song.

rodney
10-20-2005, 03:58 PM
"what's that red dot on your sweater?"

J.A.Sucker
10-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Cashmere is great in the damp California winters - it breathes well and is very soft. I like sweaters and the pocket linings of my jacket lined with it. It's expensive, but worth it, IMO.

J-Lo
10-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Exactly how expensive is it? What are some of the better cashmere manufacturers? I understand the best cashmere comes from goats in china/mongolia... is this true? I'm intruiged... if i find something i like, i might have to pick up a sweater or stirrups /images/graemlins/tongue.gif...

sfer
10-20-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly how expensive is it? What are some of the better cashmere manufacturers? I understand the best cashmere comes from goats in china/mongolia... is this true? I'm intruiged... if i find something i like, i might have to pick up a sweater or stirrups /images/graemlins/tongue.gif...

[/ QUOTE ]

Cashmere only comes from the underside of goats in Mongolia, which is part of China. At its best, which means most expensive (although most expensive does not necessarily mean best) it is at once warm and light while breathing well and having a remarkable ability to hold bright colors. Good cashmere is not scratchy and almost impossibly soft to the touch.

Loro Piana mills excellent cashmere. So does Malo.

vulturesrow
10-20-2005, 05:06 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

you look like an ass in this thread. it looks like you've taken econ 101 and are trying to show off or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I have a degree in economics. Tell me how I look like an ass, please? The stuff I am talking about is Econ 101 though.

peachy
10-20-2005, 05:18 PM
i loveeeee it...i dont wear it too much but have a few blankets and rugs that are cashmere that i adore

some guys can pull the look off...if they do it usually looks awesome...on girls - it just depends

miajag81
10-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Last time I checked, Mongolia was not currently part of China.

chisness
10-20-2005, 05:38 PM
i ask because i was walking around marshall field's yesterday in chicago and saw that they had their own brand of v-neck and collared sweaters made of cashmere, all for $100 each which actually seems very reasonable for cashmere (i've seen higher end stuff going for $700 a pop). i bought a couple of the collared ones and i'm not sure if i want to keep them or not cause they're really comfortable but i don't like the look that much, i'm thinking this might be lower end cashmere (does that exist?) because it seems like the threading isn't very close.

Sponger15SB
10-20-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I have a degree in economics. Tell me how I look like an ass, please? The stuff I am talking about is Econ 101 though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it really that hard to understand?

vulturesrow
10-20-2005, 06:34 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it really that hard to understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you Sephus' boyfriend or something?

sfer
10-20-2005, 08:08 PM
You're right. My bad.

BobboFitos
10-20-2005, 08:16 PM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif cashmere

BobboFitos
10-20-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i loveeeee it...i dont wear it too much but have a few blankets and rugs that are cashmere that i adore

some guys can pull the look off...if they do it usually looks awesome...on girls - it just depends

[/ QUOTE ]

Cashmere rugs? I dont think so.

DiamondDave
10-21-2005, 03:16 AM
Expensive, but worth it. I buy mine at the Macy's spring sale.