PDA

View Full Version : Best Hitchcock

sfer
10-20-2005, 10:53 AM
If you select Other, please state your case.

drewjustdrew
10-20-2005, 10:59 AM
TV show was better than any movie. Did you forget The Birds?

diebitter
10-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Flawless selection there - nice one. Marnie would have been a good 6th though.

SL__72
10-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I just finally watched Notorious like a week ago. My vote definately goes to Vertigo, but Rear Window would get a close second.

Exitonly
10-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Havn't seen them all so my vote is tainted... Birds definitely should ahve been included...

But Read Window was awesome, and would win anyway.

WDC
10-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Of the ones you offered I picked ZNorth by Northwest. If also really like "The Trouble with Harry" "Family Plot" "Rope" "strangers on a Train" and "To Catch a Thief"

mslif
10-20-2005, 11:12 AM
My vote goes for Vertigo because of the way it was filmed. It was ground-breaking for that time. I also love how original the plot is. Great movie.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 11:19 AM
My two favorites are Rear Window and Shadow of a Doubt. The latter was also Hitch's own favorite.

Strangers on a Train definitely is on par with some of your other selections.

swede123
10-20-2005, 11:20 AM
I voted Rear Window, simply 'cause I could only choose one. They are all pretty spectabular.

Swede

TheBlueMonster
10-20-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just finally watched Notorious like a week ago. My vote definately goes to Vertigo

[/ QUOTE ]
If I could vote for two it would be Vertigo and Notorious. Notorious is definitely his most "cruel" movie. There is the usual black humor in it, but also a more vicious undercurrent.

GuyOnTilt
10-20-2005, 11:25 AM
I really really enjoy watching North by Northwest and think it's vastly underrated, but it's definitely Vertigo.

GoT

sfer
10-20-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My two favorites are Rear Window and Shadow of a Doubt. The latter was also Hitch's own favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost put Shadow of a Doubt in there, largely because I think Joseph Cotten is great every time I see him.

fnord_too
10-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Wow, I'm the only one who's voted for Notorious so far.

TheBlueMonster
10-20-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hey, if Vertigo weren't on there, I'd be with you on No-no-Notoorious

fnord_too
10-20-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hey, if Vertigo weren't on there, I'd be with you on No-no-Notoorious

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen Vertigo many times, but I don't think it is as good as Notorious. I may give it second for its technique on the "best" scale, but it is far from my favorite Hitchcock film.

tdarko
10-20-2005, 11:41 AM
i voted rear window with ease.

samjjones
10-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Lifeboat.

Whoops, changing vote to "North By Northwest". Misread poll as "favorite" instead of "best".

TheBlueMonster
10-20-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I've seen Vertigo many times, but I don't think it is as good as Notorious. I may give it second for its technique on the "best" scale, but it is far from my favorite Hitchcock film.

[/ QUOTE ]
I must respectfully disagree with you. Though I love Notorious and think it's brilliant, Vertigo is a more layered film.
On the surface Notorious is a spy flick but it's really about the relationship between the two protagonists.
On the surface Vertigo is a detective flick but it's really about obsession but it's really a deeply personal film about Hitchcock himself but it's really.....

ironically I own Notorious and Frenzy (another deserving film for this list) but not Vertigo.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Frenzy is not at all one of his best.

TheBlueMonster
10-20-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Frenzy is not at all one of his best.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, I guess...but then again I don't think Rear Window should have been up there rather than Shadow of Doubt. RW is def. overhyped. Great, but overhyped.

Boris
10-20-2005, 12:15 PM
way to be a poll dork. Psycho of course.

MrWookie47
10-20-2005, 12:21 PM
They're all great movies, but for me, it came down to Psycho versus North by Northwest. The latter is incredibly fun to watch, but the former still creeps me out even after having seen it over and over. I went with Psycho.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 12:27 PM
I don't think any are more hyped than Psycho and North by Northwest, neither of which strike me as among his best.

I think Rear Window is excellent.

TheBlueMonster
10-20-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think any are more hyped than Psycho and North by Northwest, neither of which strike me as among his best.

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with you on Psycho. It's important in the history of film, but as a Hitchcock movie it's just a cheap looking black comedy.
The reason N by NW is always up on these lists has to do with the fact that it's really his most commerical film. There is very little below the surface in comparison to other Hitch films. N by NW is just a fun movie.

12ozLongneck
10-20-2005, 02:01 PM
My Hitchcock Top 5:

Vertigo
Rear Window
Strangers on a Train
Notorious
The 39 Steps

SL__72
10-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Does no one like The Man Who Knew too Much?

Chris Daddy Cool
10-20-2005, 02:03 PM
rear window

Blarg
10-20-2005, 02:11 PM
The first one was good but slow, but definitely feels very much like Hitchcock in the good ways. The second one, with Doris Day singing Que Sera Sera at every friggin chance, grated on the nerves of everyone I know who saw it, and is not particularly exceptional.

What I think is a more interesting one is The 39 Steps. That was a great movie, lots of fun, and it still is fun today. I love the interplay between the man and the woman in that one, and the whole spy business is really fun too. I've seen it lots of times, and I think I'm about due to try to see it again.

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Meh. I've always thought Hitchcock was overrated. I liked North by Northwest and To Catch a Thief. Dial m for Murder was good. Never cared for Psycho or Rear Window much.

TheBlueMonster
10-20-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meh. I've always thought Hitchcock was overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah and that guy Welles sucks too. As does John Ford, Kurosowa and Renoir. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Blarg
10-20-2005, 02:24 PM
If you think Hitchcock is overrated, you have bad taste in movies.

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah and that guy Welles sucks too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, despite the fact my sarcasm detector is ringing pretty loud, I agree with this statement as well.

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say bad. Didn't say i dislike them. I said overrated. But whatever. And this isn't like you, Blarg. A sweeping, moranic, attacking statement w/o a 27 line explaination? You feeling ok? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheBlueMonster
10-20-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, despite the fact my sarcasm detector is ringing pretty loud, I agree with this statement as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
well then....I guess Jake isn't the guy to be getting into film debates with

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
well then....I guess Jake isn't the guy to be getting into film debates with

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an opinion. Just not my taste. Wasn't looking to debate the merits in any filmie sorta way. FWIW, I'm with you on Ford and Kurosawa.

kyro
10-20-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you think Hitchcock is overrated, you have different tastes in movies than I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

TimTimSalabim
10-20-2005, 02:42 PM
I've seen all of the ones listed, but I voted Other, for Marnie. I highly recommend it if you like psychological thrillers.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say bad. Didn't say i dislike them. I said overrated. But whatever. And this isn't like you, Blarg. A sweeping, moranic, attacking statement w/o a 27 line explaination? You feeling ok? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That was worth your edit???

It was better without either the sweeping or moran.

Seriously, though, Hitch is not overrated. There was nothing even remotely moronic about my statement. And the ones you pointed out as your favorites kind of threw me for a loop too. Dial M for Murder? To Catch a Thief?

Something is deranged in your Hitchcock appreciation modules.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you think Hitchcock is overrated, you have different tastes in movies than I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. I stand happily, and correctly, by my first assertion.

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Something is deranged in your Hitchcock appreciation modules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I thought the edit was worthwhile just because it wasn't your typical response. It was moronic because it was sweeping. But this is fair enough though. We disagree on Hitchcock. Fine.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Saying we disagree on a single strictly limited subject and that I think you are wrong about it is in no way either sweeping or moronic. It's a disagreement, that's all. The other stuff you're adding is useless baggage. Give it up.

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Saying we disagree on a single strictly limited subject and that I think you are wrong about it is in no way either sweeping or moronic. It's a disagreement, that's all. The other stuff you're adding is useless baggage. Give it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't limit the subject to Hitchcock. You did use a sweeping statement. Saying I have bad tatse in movies is sweeping. We may agree on every other movie ever made with the exception of Hitchcock for all you know. So yes, it was a moronic statement that was way too broad.

pryor15
10-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Rear Window is in my all-time top 10.

the story goes that the trims and cuts from the editing bay didn't even fill up a single reel. wow.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Err...movies was the subject.

Forget it, this seems to be going over your head and just turning pointless.

Jeff W
10-20-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted for Notorious also. Now there are three of us. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

KneeCo
10-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Best Hitch: Vertigo.
(and that's saying a lot!)

Most underrated Hitch: Rope.

I got to go to the Hitchcock museum expo (http://www.mbam.qc.ca/en/expositions/exposition_36.html) here in Montreal a few years back, great stuff for a big fan.

peachy
10-20-2005, 05:51 PM
My overall favorite is "Rebecca" - i make everyone i can watch this movie

thats a hard pick b/w vertigo and north by northwest (Grace Kellys best one was dial M for murder though not rear window - at least she got to be a PRINCESS!!) but....

one of my favs that was a kinda dark humor one that he did is "The Trouble with Harry" - it was one of shirley mcclaines 1st movies and one of his lesser known ones im sure but its one of the best representations of human nature that he did - doubt many of u have seen this one /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lifeboat was another one of his that dealt with some of the more similar elements that i liked in the trouble with harry, dunno how many have seen that one either

a more easy going of his movies (charater wise to me and in standard plot formation) that will always be a fav b/c of doris days song Que Cera Cera (b/c this was song to me as a child) was "The Man Who Knew Too Much" - one of his better ones to me and more emotionally touching to me...everytime i see it

peachy
10-20-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost put Shadow of a Doubt in there, largely because I think Joseph Cotten is great every time I see him.

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel the same way about joseph cotten....he always does amazingly everytime i see him in a movie

WillMagic
10-20-2005, 06:26 PM
I've yet to see Vertigo.

But I'm shocked, shocked and appalled that Strangers on a Train wasn't on this list. It's my pick.

Will

CCass
10-20-2005, 09:40 PM
I voted for Psycho, as it is one of my all-time favs, but Rear Window is also hard to beat.

FWIW, my older sister and her best friend called me Norman when we were growing up.

captZEEbo1
10-20-2005, 09:46 PM
rear window by a mile...and yes I agree, Hitchcock is crazy overrated. I guess he pioneered some techniques, but MOST of his films just aren't THAT good (the ones listed and a few more are obviously good, but only a couple are GREAT).

AceHigh
10-20-2005, 10:12 PM
North by Northwest - cuz of Cary Grant.

buffett
10-20-2005, 10:14 PM
I agree with SL72 that The Man Who Knew Too Much was great, but I have to give the nod to one of his only comedies:

The Trouble With Harry.

Home to such great lines as: He looked exactly the same when he was alive, only he was vertical.

Plus...call me crazy, but the young Shirley MacLaine was a cutie.
-web

Vish
10-21-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just finally watched Notorious like a week ago. My vote definately goes to Vertigo

[/ QUOTE ]
If I could vote for two it would be Vertigo and Notorious. Notorious is definitely his most "cruel" movie. There is the usual black humor in it, but also a more vicious undercurrent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain this? Cruel isn't the first word that comes to my mind about this movie, but I'm listening.

TheBlueMonster
10-21-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain this? Cruel isn't the first word that comes to my mind about this movie, but I'm listening.

[/ QUOTE ]
it's cruel because of the abuse he heaps upon Bergman's character; he makes her an "alcoholic" and then has her fall in love with a man who plays emotional S&M with her. Not to mention the poison. There's a lot more (I actually wrote a paper about it in college)

Ray Zee
10-21-2005, 02:45 AM
did you all know that he appears in most or even all of his movies somewhere. look for him next time you watch one.

Vish
10-21-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
did you all know that he appears in most or even all of his movies somewhere. look for him next time you watch one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard this too, but I've never been able to find him in "Rope." Anyone know when/if he appears in this movie?

TheBlueMonster
10-21-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard this too, but I've never been able to find him in "Rope." Anyone know when/if he appears in this movie?

[/ QUOTE ]
had to look it up: His trademark can be seen briefly on a neon sign in the view from the apartment window, approximately 55 minutes into the movie.