PDA

View Full Version : Luck and deadly viruses.

theweatherman
10-20-2005, 09:58 AM
ok, I wondering howmany ofyall consider yourselves lucky.

Say this bird flue hits the Us (or whereever you live) but its much, much worse than they think it will be. Say its spreaded halfway across your nation infecting 75% of the populus. Further more it appears to be 75% fatal. Based on this you not only are very likely to catch the disease, but also to perish from it. The flu is spreading with not sign of stopping,

diebitter
10-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Oh, cool. The guy that hates the English is gonna get [censored].

MrTrik
10-20-2005, 10:07 AM
You missed an option, it is option number 4:

I'm hoping you catch the virus and die.

benza13
10-20-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Say its spreaded halfway across your nation infecting 75% of the populus. Further more it appears to be 75% fatal.

[/ QUOTE ]

So lets see, 75% of 75% of 50%, so thats what, about 19/100 will die based on your predictions. Yea, I'm not too worried, especially since I really don't anticipate bird flue being anywhere near the threat in this country that they are saying it could be. Just another thing the media is using to make sure there is a story and a scared audience somewhere, IMO.

10-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Why aren't you in school today, young one? I know you've got Remedial English (spelling, writing, etc.) and Comprehension on your schedule.

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

theweatherman
10-20-2005, 10:11 AM
its 75% of 75% no 50% involved, saying it was halfway across the nation was just so that you know the numbers are true befor e it hits you.

theweatherman
10-20-2005, 10:13 AM
im glad you chimed in with the errorof my ways. Besides your post is a beacon to all those who strive for excellence in English. I like the part where you mistakenly capitalize subjects, a true testament to your mastery of the language.

In summary, respond to what i asked or dont respond at all.

RunDownHouse
10-20-2005, 10:36 AM
My girlfriend's father has a business working with scientists/researchers helping them found their own businesses so that they get decent income from their discoveries and patents, instead of universities or drug companies giving them the shaft. Anyways, he's in social circles with some relatively big guys in the academic/professional scientific community, and was recently at a party with a guy who was recently head of the CDC's AIDS research dept. He now is working with some big university on the bird flu thing.

Apparently its already widespread among the wild bird population in the US. They're trying to keep this under wraps, since the majority of the US population won't come into close contact with these birds anyways, but they're already starting to have to worry about duck hunters and the like. From what I heard (this is something like 3rd- or 4th-hand), they think the flu's advance into domestic poultry is pretty much inevitable.

10-20-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im glad you chimed in with the errorof my ways. Besides your post is a beacon to all those who strive for excellence in English. I like the part where you mistakenly capitalize subjects, a true testament to your mastery of the language.

[/ QUOTE ]

Always happy to be of assistance.

Beacon? Hardly, IMO.

Capitalization of proper nouns, as in titles, is but one of my peccadillos. Not an indication of mastery.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Very interesting indeed.

Myself, I think I've taken permanent damage from past flus. I've had a few where I was coughing up blood. So I think I would be very likely to be in deep trouble and maybe kick the bucket if a tremendously virulent strain became extremely widespread.

On both the negative and the positive side, I've been living with and working with a great percentage of people who have lots of kids. Those kids go to school and bring home viruses to their parents, who pass them around work. Someone is ALWAYS sick at work; there are usually at least two different bugs going around. So I've been exposed to a ton of viruses over many years. I'm thinking my immune system might have more previous exposure to a lot of flu strains than most people's, and that could stand my immune system in good stead.

On the negative side, being exposed to those same people is just more likely to get me exposed the next time, and the building where I live is full of kids, so even if I holed up indoors, I'm sure I'd still get exposure somehow. And just going to the supermarket would effectively expose me to basically the whole planet.

Exitonly
10-20-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty resilient so i'm gonna say i live! I think it's unlikely i catch the thing, and even if i do, no way is a bird flu taking me down.

sfer
10-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Me not understand ur sentances bro.

Vavavoom
10-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Me Fail English, Thats Umpossible !!

GuyOnTilt
10-20-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Me not understand ur sentances bro.

[/ QUOTE ]
Guyz why mustwe get off topick here??!11 He very politely asked us to respond directly tohis questin and nothing else or not torespond at all, the questin being: How many of us thnk we will...? Please only submit ansers responding directly to his question and nothing else plz ty.

8 of us.

GoT

Los Feliz Slim
10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
I would probably die.

Hypothetically, if you KNEW this was going to happen, what would you do about it? Buy a boat and six months worth of provisions and forego all human contact until it passes?

AngryCola
10-20-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you don't get to make demands without some type of hostage.

10-20-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you don't get to make demands without some type of hostage.

[/ QUOTE ]

And people actually question Sklansky's ability to wisely choose Mods?
Pish on the naysayers, I say.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cadillac1234
10-20-2005, 11:04 AM
The TB, Ebola, SARS, West Nile, Small Pox and Anthrax scares of the past 5 years all say hello.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Just now on the news -- a 48 (or 46?) year old man in Thailand died after eating cooked chidken. It had previously been thought that cooked chicken was not contagious.

10-20-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

...I've had a few where I was coughing up blood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarq, on a serious note... Bad cases of flu become pneumonia. Been there, done that. Have you seen a doc lately? Gotten a flu shot for the current strain? Please see your doc if you haven't recently.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

WDC
10-20-2005, 11:18 AM
I will catch it; I have a really [censored] up immune system. I will not die

theweatherman
10-20-2005, 11:44 AM
I was just wondering how many people feel that they will beat the odds, far fewer than i thought. I'm pretty sure Id get it but shrug it off, since I'm lucky like that.

steelcmg
10-20-2005, 12:04 PM
I dont know i think i may have this virus already i mean i have the symptoms of it fever cough, sore throat, muscle aches. I think ill end up dead tom.

Good Bye OOT.

Easy E
10-20-2005, 12:45 PM
We're all over 56% to catch it and die

dtbog
10-20-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
flue

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.stonecarver.com/fp/fqa-fire.jpg

miajag81
10-20-2005, 01:11 PM
I have a very strong immune system (I've been sick once in the past six years) so I think I would be more likely than the average person to not catch it.

CIncyHR
10-20-2005, 01:24 PM
What are you, drunk? Maybe you should go to that writing class instead of posting in OOT. For what it's worth, I think I'd die from the virus, since I'm not a Jew, and therefore not one of God's chosen people.

steelcmg
10-20-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are you, drunk? Maybe you should go to that writing class instead of posting in OOT. For what it's worth, I think I'd die from the virus, since I'm not a Jew, and therefore not one of God's chosen people.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we are believing in stuff like god then i think that 1/2 of 2+2 would die from it since they dont believe in him.

10-20-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting indeed.

Myself, I think I've taken permanent damage from past flus. I've had a few where I was coughing up blood. So I think I would be very likely to be in deep trouble and maybe kick the bucket if a tremendously virulent strain became extremely widespread.

On both the negative and the positive side, I've been living with and working with a great percentage of people who have lots of kids. Those kids go to school and bring home viruses to their parents, who pass them around work. Someone is ALWAYS sick at work; there are usually at least two different bugs going around. So I've been exposed to a ton of viruses over many years. I'm thinking my immune system might have more previous exposure to a lot of flu strains than most people's, and that could stand my immune system in good stead.

On the negative side, being exposed to those same people is just more likely to get me exposed the next time, and the building where I live is full of kids, so even if I holed up indoors, I'm sure I'd still get exposure somehow. And just going to the supermarket would effectively expose me to basically the whole planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The H5N1 virus has never been seen before in the human body so having past flu strains will not matter. As far as the people who said they have been good immune systems, it does not seem to matter with pandemic strains such as this one. Whereas in normal flu cases, most deaths occur in the elderly or infant population, a pandemic strain such as H5N1 kills off seemingly healthy young adults just the same as an elderly or infant patient.

Phoenix1010
10-20-2005, 01:38 PM
A number of us could escape into the deepest mine shafts until the virus dies down. With a 10:1 women to men ratio we could repopulate the Earth. Regrettably, we would have to do away with monogamous sexual relationships. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9620/drstrangelove6ao.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

10-20-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A number of us could escape into the deepest mine shafts until the virus dies down. With a 10:1 women to men ratio we could repopulate the Earth. Regrettably, we would have to do away with monogamous sexual relationships. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9620/drstrangelove6ao.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I am almost hoping this becomes a pandemic.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The H5N1 virus has never been seen before in the human body so having past flu strains will not matter. As far as the people who said they have been good immune systems, it does not seem to matter with pandemic strains such as this one. Whereas in normal flu cases, most deaths occur in the elderly or infant population, a pandemic strain such as H5N1 kills off seemingly healthy young adults just the same as an elderly or infant patient.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that doesn't mean there are no similarities between this virus and other viruses. The ability to fight other similar viruses is supposedly helpful in fighting viruses. An example is cow pox and smallpox. When smallpox epidemics were decimating many parts of Europe, turns of phrase became popular that noted how smooth the faces of milkmaids were. This was not just because of access to milk, but because their exposure to cow pox gave them a great deal of added immunity to smallpox.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 02:01 PM
I regret to say that in your scenario, the men would be even more heavily selected than the women. If you don't think most dudes would be happy to have 20 wives while you have none, you're mistaken. And to many, your having none would be almost as attractive as their having 20.

10-20-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I regret to say that in your scenario, the men would be even more heavily selected than the women. If you don't think most dudes would be happy to have 20 wives while you have none, you're mistaken. And to many, your having none would be almost as attractive as their having 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where Darwinism kicks in my friend. I will use all the tools necesary to fight for my 20 wives even if I have to kill 100 men. Better yet, I can kill all the men on the planet and be the only hope of the future. My full time job would be making love to one chick after another. Ah, the perfect world of pandemics.