PDA

View Full Version : How'd I do?

dirty_dan
06-04-2003, 07:40 AM
local 4-8

My table just broke and they squeezed 11 into the main game. From the few hands I see it's typical table.

Folded to MP to my right who raises. I've seen this guy before and remember him playing some sub-par hands. I can't really recall what his preflop raising standards are.
I look down to AJo and 3 bet to isolate. Everyone else folds, MP calls.

FLOP: 952 rainbow

MP bets, I raise he calls.

TURN: 6 offsuit

MP checks, I bet, he calls.

RIVER: A

MP bets, I call.

Comments?

Lost Wages
06-04-2003, 12:33 PM
An easy fold preflop. Just because he has shown down a few bad hands doesn't mean he is raising with them. Against AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, or AQ you are a huge dog. Against a smaller pair you a slight dog. There just aren't many hands that a reasonable MP player would raise where you have the edge.

Lost Wages

Louie Landale
06-04-2003, 12:47 PM
As you know the value of trouble hands like AJ drop drastically as the quality of the opponent's hand increases.

AJ is a good but not great hand MP due to the number of players yet to act. Its a non-brainer fold against a reasonable MP raise. To play this hand the raiser has to be willing to raise with a LOT of hands worse than AJ. More specifically, you must be confident that he raises very weakly. "Some sub-par hands" doesn't qualify as "confident". Throw this one away PreFlop.

I don't quite get the raise on the flop unless you have reason to believe MP will throw away a better hand on the turn, like AQ or A5, even after trying to take away your initiative on the flop.

Turn: darn it, didn't work.

River: Yup, doesn't look like a good time to raise.

Looks like A9 to me.

- Louie

CrackerZack
06-04-2003, 12:55 PM
I'd fold PF, considering you didn't, if he has loose raising standards, the raise is good. When he bet the flop, I think you can fold, what can he bet that you're beating? AT, KQ maybe? Strange bet by him. Even if he's pushing overcards its most likely his are better than yours which means you're dominated and in trouble.

dirty_dan
06-04-2003, 01:31 PM
For some reason I didn't stop to think about all the hands that had me beat when I reraised preflop.

With that low rainbow flop I read his bet as a bluff since he knew any hand I 3bet wouldn't have touched it and that my raise would say big pair. His call made me think medium pair.

Since now I had to project big pocket pair the turn bet was a no brainer.

He had AK. While he was ahead the whole time I think I got rivered. I don't think he could have called with ace high against my aggression.

Moral of the story is muck AJ preflop against a non-steal raise at a full table.

dirty_dan
06-04-2003, 01:35 PM
I thought his flop bet was a steal. Turns out he did have overcards that beat me.