PDA

View Full Version : What nationality are you, and what is good/bad about it?

diebitter
10-20-2005, 07:16 AM
I was interested in what sort of range we have on OOT, and what you think of yourselves. I know the following are present (okay, maybe 2nd gen): American, Canadian, English, Scottish, Irish, French, Finnish, Italian, Swedish (Swede?). Any others?

And what's good/bad about your nationality (you can extend this to province/state/county/city/town if you want)

For me, as English...

Good: We laugh at ourselves, we are badasses if we need to be, we're mostly polite, we just get on with stuff if it needs doing

Bad: Embarrassing binge-drinking (especially overseas), we can be rude overseas generally (we think everyone speaks English), we think we're bloody great despite any contrary evidence, we put up with stuff far too much sometimes before we act on it (eg bad service/food in restaurants), teeth

TheTROLL
10-20-2005, 07:20 AM
You may as well put the teeth thing in, before our American friends point out the omission...

diebitter
10-20-2005, 07:21 AM
tnx.

bloody Austin Powers...

GuyOnTilt
10-20-2005, 07:22 AM
American. I am a beautiful and unique snowflake in a giant melting pot.

GoT

dcasper70
10-20-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm Irish/Polish

I drink a lot cause I don't know any better...

Corey
10-20-2005, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For me, as English
we put up with stuff far too much sometimes before we act on it (eg Germany in the 1930's)

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

diebitter
10-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Aww, come on, I can't list every little thing...

Heh, the English getting criticised by an American for being slow to tackle the Nazis. Didn't expect that today.

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Texan. We make good chili, BBQ and Tex-Mex but we talk slow.

Vavavoom
10-20-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good: We laugh at ourselves, we are badasses if we need to be, we're mostly polite, we just get on with stuff if it needs doing & are the worlds best lovers

Bad: Embarrassing binge-drinking (especially overseas), we can be rude overseas generally (we think everyone speaks English), we think we're bloody great despite any contrary evidence, we put up with stuff far too much sometimes before we act on it (eg bad service/food in restaurants), teeth

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed...Although technically I'm British not English.

diebitter
10-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Goddamn, don't tell all the American boys. The gals already know about British men, but we were keeping a lid on it.

It's a secret, remember!

BoogerFace
10-20-2005, 09:06 AM
The funny thing about this post is that Americans don't think of themselves as American. They consider themselves Irish, French, German, whatever.

When Americans ask me this question, I respond that I'm American. It pisses them off to no end.

xadrez
10-20-2005, 09:22 AM
50% Portuguese, 45% Irish, 5% German.

theweatherman
10-20-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For me, as English...

Good: nothing

Bad: everything

[/ QUOTE ]

The english suck.

CCass
10-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Southern American. My heritage is mostly Irish, with a little Welsh and English thrown in.

diebitter
10-20-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the English suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I forgot another great thing about being English.

We don't give a toss what anyone thinks of us /images/graemlins/smile.gif

spamuell
10-20-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
we think we're bloody great despite any contrary evidence

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite what now?

imported_The Vibesman
10-20-2005, 09:50 AM
I'm from New England. We're not the most social bunch of people around here, we're really keep-to-ourselves types, and here is Massachusetts we drive like psychos and like to drink too much. But we're hard working people and generally try to be nice and helpful once we are spoken to.

Other than that, I dunno.. generalizations don't mean much. My "heritage" is Irish and Italian.

mslif
10-20-2005, 09:56 AM
I am french (both my parents were born in Italy though).

Good: our history, we can cook, kiss and we have a cool accent.
Bad: our polical system, reputation to be rude.

ChipWrecked
10-20-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is common among Texans: They think of themselves as Texans, not Americans.

10-20-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the English suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I forgot another great thing about being English.

We don't give a toss what anyone thinks of us /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear! Hear! Jolly good, mate! Bugger the Wanker, I say!

btw, I'm 2nd gen Greek and love the english language, expecially when spoken by the English, the Irish and the Scots (inventors of my favorite game).

I forgot...

Good: cooking, philosophy, certain sexual aspects
Bad: certain sexual aspects

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

spamuell
10-20-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the Scots (inventors of my favorite game)

[/ QUOTE ]

Drinking?

diebitter
[ QUOTE ]
Bugger the Wanker

[/ QUOTE ]
use of this phrase alone (forget about who you're talking about) makes you immediately okay in my book /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vavavoom
[ QUOTE ]

btw, I'm 2nd gen Greek and love the english language, expecially when spoken by the English, the Irish and the Scots (inventors of my favorite game).

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume Caber Tossing ?

ChipWrecked
American Euro-mutt.

Swedish, Irish, British, German, White Croat.

Americans Good: We are the only nation based upon an idea; that being that all men are created equal and are endowed with certain rights, blah blah....

Bad: Don't [censored] with us, or we'll bomb the [censored] out of your country. Maybe that's actually good. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

mackthefork
10-20-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
5% German.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much.........I kid, I kid./images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mack

spamuell
10-20-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Americans Good: We are the only nation based upon an idea; that being that all men are created equal and are endowed with certain rights, blah blah....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, let's all pay homage to the great American thinkers Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, the Abbe Sieyes, Jean-Jacques Rousseau etc.

wtf was the French Revolution anyway?

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get your point? What am I missing? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

asofel
10-20-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm from New England. We're not the most social bunch of people around here, we're really keep-to-ourselves types, and here is Massachusetts we drive like psychos and like to drink too much. But we're hard working people and generally try to be nice and helpful once we are spoken to.

Other than that, I dunno.. generalizations don't mean much. My "heritage" is Irish and Italian.

[/ QUOTE ]

that sums me up pretty well...

arx
10-20-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I assume Caber Tossing ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong....but I will give you a hint....

why do scots wear kilts?

answer in white:
<font color="white"> zips are too noisy for sheep </font>

ChipWrecked
10-20-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'Texan' is not a nationality. Most Texans believe that it is though /images/graemlins/grin.gif

swede123
10-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Swedish.

I guess we're most known for our hot women, safe cars and (which is kind of sad) vodka. I live in the US now, and I find that most people seem fairly happy when they find out I'm actually Swedish. I guess Swedes have a pretty good rep. all around the world, which makes it nice whenever I'm travelling abroad somewhere.

Swede

KaneKungFu123
10-20-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im still not sold on the marrying your cousin thing.

theweatherman
10-20-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm guessing that most of Sweden's good rep in America is due to the fact that most Americans probably can pick out which of the three nortic countries it is. Or name a city there. Or recall anything the Sweedes have done in the past.

Americans are dumb, If I were you id move back, it sounds like an awesome place

spamuell
10-20-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why do scots wear kilts?

answer in white:
<font color="white"> zips are too noisy for sheep </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

You're thinking of the Welsh. Most of the Scots don't do this, only the Aberdonians.

arod15
10-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Chile, we are all hung...

10-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Indian

Good: We're smarter than everyone else.
Bad: We know it.

KaneKungFu123
10-20-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Swedish.

I guess we're most known for our hot women, safe cars and (which is kind of sad) vodka. I live in the US now, and I find that most people seem fairly happy when they find out I'm actually Swedish. I guess Swedes have a pretty good rep. all around the world, which makes it nice whenever I'm travelling abroad somewhere.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

swedes are probably the nicest people on earth.

Hamish McBagpipe
10-20-2005, 10:39 AM
I am, as you may have guessed, Scottish. I was born in the highland town of Inverness at the northern tip o Loch Ness. This makes me a REAL Scotsman, nae them bloody bampot lowlanders fae Glasgae an' aw that. Us Scotsman invented everything that is good in the world; the telly, golf, whisky, the US navy, etc....the list is too long. Us sweaties are good engineers but I find we spend money far too freely and are overly polite at fitba' games.

How many Scotsmen does it take to change a light bulb?
Och! It's no auw that dark!

arx
could be...but scots get annoyed too!!

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im still not sold on the marrying your cousin thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're confusing Texas with West Virginia, but it's not your fault. We Texans just accepot that non-Texans are ignorant.

swede123
10-20-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Indian

[/ QUOTE ]

Good: You guys are smarter than most, especially when it comes to anything involving math.
Bad: You guys (often) speak with such strong accents it's impossible for most to understand your smartness.

Now, I'm not trying to be an ass. It just seems like many Indians I encounter seem to keep their super strong accent even after living in the States for ten or twenty years or more, whereas many other foreigners slowly get better at making themselves understood.

Swede

KaneKungFu123
10-20-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Indian

[/ QUOTE ]

you are american-indian, not real indian.

diebitter
10-20-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...whereas many other foreigners slowly get better at making themselves understood.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, Swede. You've broken my mental image of you being 6"8' and talking like the Swedish Chef from the Muppets.

swede123
Oh, the guy posting that is Native American-Indian? I was talking about the good folks from India.

Swede

KaneKungFu123
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'Texan' is not a nationality. Most Texans believe that it is though /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

reality tv show: foriegners visit texas for the first time in usa.

GuyOnTilt
10-20-2005, 10:44 AM
How many people have actually answered with their nationality?

Hint: Check your passport, right under your name.

GoT

swede123
10-20-2005, 10:45 AM
I should have added this is another thing we're known for. Seriously, if I could go back in time I'd go back to where Frank Oz created that character and somehow convince him it was a Norweigan/Danish/whatever non-Swedish chef.

Swede

xadrez
10-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Of course 90% of the people here are american, but what fun would the thread be if it were 50 replies stating that same fact?

KaneKungFu123
10-20-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, the guy posting that is Native American-Indian? I was talking about the good folks from India.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

no. i actually just meant american-indian as in india the country.

the ones with feathers in their hair are native americans.

stigmata
10-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Home counties, England.

Things that havent been mentioned:

Good: The food. Honestly. One thing we have to thank for from our colonial past, is the both the culinary and cultural diversity.

There are some really great pubs, some lovely countryside, some frigging cool old buildings and [censored].

Bad: It's a class based eletist society. All of the classes are equally obnoxious. From the pikey, binge-drinking ASBO'd, unworking class hooligans, to the in-bred selve-serving morons at the top. And don't even get me started about the arrogant middle classes and the gauche nouvo-rich.

Also, the transport (public and otherwise) sucks balls. The polotical situation is just dull -- the house of commons just behaves like a boanch of goading teenagers.

diebitter
re the Swedish Chef - seriously, he does actually sound more Danish that Swedish, don't he?

KaneKungFu123
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

how many people here have passports?

BreakfastBurrito
10-20-2005, 10:53 AM
50% Indian/ 25% Polish / 12.5% Irish / 12.5% German

Only in the past year have I learned about the German part, as my great grandfather pretended he was Irish to attempt to avoid the bad feelings towards Germans around WWI. As you can imagine, it's been pretty tough to come to grips with.

What's good: People have taken me for Italian, Greek, Hispanic, Thai, Indonesian, among others. It's fun.

What's bad: There's not enough of us.

KaneKungFu123
10-20-2005, 10:54 AM
first time i ever heard someone speak positive about english food.

cookie
10-20-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
re the Swedish Chef - seriously, he does actually sound more Danish that Swedish, don't he?

[/ QUOTE ]
If I had seen the show I could answer that one.

Att. Swede: Swedish vodka??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif Anyway I thought u came to Denmark to drink /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Vavavoom
10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
first time i ever heard someone speak positive about english food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fish &amp; Chips
Roast Beef Dinner

Ye be mad...

DougOzzzz
10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Mostly German and Native American. Also a little English, Danish, and Polish in the mix.

I've been told I look like someone from the future when all the races will be mixed together.

10-20-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am, as you may have guessed, Scottish. I was born in the highland town of Inverness at the northern tip o Loch Ness. This makes me a REAL Scotsman, nae them bloody bampot lowlanders fae Glasgae an' aw that. Us Scotsman invented everything that is good in the world; the telly, golf, whisky, the US navy, etc....the list is too long. Us sweaties are good engineers but I find we spend money far too freely and are overly polite at fitba' games.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLMAO and I'm bumpin'.

I've got this great mental picture (with soundtrack) of Billy Connelly!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voltron87
10-20-2005, 10:56 AM
irish american, father was born in ireland and grew up in belfast, and my mother is from california. 95% of americans who call themselves irish americans annoy me, as well as most irish stereotypes.

Voltron87
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is awesome.

CollinEstes
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
I consider myself Texan. Good because Texas has the most best looking women in the world, bad because George W makes us look pretty dam stupid at times.

Oh yeah and I can carry a handgun.

doppler
10-20-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Att. Swede: Swedish vodka???

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolut

Dominic
10-20-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm Italian.

Good: great food, great history (explorers, art, etc.)

Bad: all the bodies I have to bury for the Mob.

IndieMatty
10-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Italian, mothers side is sicilian, fathers is mainland, also a little alsace lorraine action. But I just consider myself Italian.

DarkForceRising
10-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Half Dutch/half Irish.

The Irish part needs no explanation. The Dutch part is weird, though. I live in Michigan and the Dutch here are renowned for being cheap, clannish, ultra-conservative religious zealots. Our family, however, is anything but that. So- if I were Dutch European I would wear my heritage with pride but here I usually just claim the Irish part.

jokerthief
10-20-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm a great lakes American. We speak like Canadians, have way too much of a propensity for alcoholism, are super friendly, hard working, honest to a fault, religious, and are very good at driving in the snow (unlike you damn Texans and Californians who terrorize the streets of Colorado where my sister lives).

SomethingClever
10-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Half Italian, half Oregonian. Father was born in Genoa, Italy; mother in Grants Pass, Oregon.

Good: Pretty much everything.
Bad: Can't think of anything.

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
are very good at driving in the snow (unlike you damn Texans and Californians who terrorize the streets of Colorado where my sister lives).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. Add it the list of bad things about Texans. We cannot drive in the snow. Fortunately, Texans rarely deign to live outside Texas, particularly where it's cold, so it's rarely an issue. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daryn
10-20-2005, 12:27 PM
nationality definitely = country of citizenship, but i think the real reason people ask this question is to find out what ethnicity you are. i just go by intent. if it's clear that's what the person is asking, well why not give them the answer they expect? all of my grandparents came from italy, so it's just like the family tree moved across the ocean.

10-20-2005, 12:38 PM
(Guess this is a good thread for a first post in OOT)

Nationality: South African (currently living in UK though)

Good: Down to earth people. Beaches, wildlife, forests etc Great weather. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bad: Currently recovering from apartheid

mslif
10-20-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a great lakes American. We speak like Canadians, have way too much of a propensity for alcoholism, are super friendly, hard working, honest to a fault, religious, and are very good at driving in the snow (unlike you damn Texans and Californians who terrorize the streets of Colorado where my sister lives).

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Colorado, I concur.

10-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Cuban-American.

Good - Cigars, rum and music.
Bad - right wing politics

10-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Mostly Irish but a little German as well.

Like Tim Allen who is also German-Irish, I'm thin and angry a lot! haha.

10-20-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
irish american, father was born in ireland and grew up in belfast, and my mother is from california. 95% of americans who call themselves irish americans annoy me, as well as most irish stereotypes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you Irish-American?

EDIT: Because if you were born in America, you are no more Irish-American than I, whose ancestors came here in 1850. Just because a parent was born there doesn't make you Irish-American. At least not any moreso than someone who's great-great-great grandfather was born there.

miajag81
10-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Nationality: American

Good: Richest, most powerful country in the world, stable government, freedom, democracy, etc. etc.

Bad: Image of arrogance and imperialism (which is certainly at least somewhat deserved), foreigners think our beer sucks (because the only American beer they've had is Budweiser), and most importantly, I think Americans just don't care about each other and other human beings as much as other people around the world do.

J-Lo
10-20-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

no. i actually just meant american-indian as in india the country.

the ones with feathers in their hair are native americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

this reminds me of the simpsons episode where apu gets his citizenship, and prop 24 passed, and at the end homer and lisa are talkin..

Lisa: This land once belonged to the indians
Homer: Like apu?
Lisa: No, indian-americans
Homer: Like apu?
Lisa: No, native americans!
Homer: Like me?

10-20-2005, 03:38 PM
my parents were born in india, i was born in detroit. unfortunately for your argument, my parents dont have strong accents.

nice bluff.

phage
10-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Nationality: Canadian (For some reason people always ask...but what are you: Parents Swedish and Indian)
Pros We seem to be very tolerant and pleasant people, we're funny and play a mean game of hockey.
Cons: Well you americans can let us know what is wrong with us....

ClaytonN
10-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Both sides of my family came from the mayflower, or so I'm told. Straight American/Colonist/British yo.

I see nothing but 100% caucasian in me. Umm, white power.

lu_hawk
10-20-2005, 04:18 PM
50% Italian, 50% Cherokee.

imported_anacardo
10-20-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm a Texan. Legend has it that my Dad's people have been Texans since there was a Texas, but I don't know what to make of that.

Pros: Our food is incredible. Our women are incredible. People tend to be pretty friendly and gregarious. Lots of wild, lonely open spaces. Great place to be if you're into sports. Citizenship carries an indefinable air of badassery.
Entertaining history.

Cons: Probably the most fascist state in the Union. Obesity out of control. Schools are pretty terrible (though universities are pretty good.) People rag our big cities constantly, and admittedly there's not much to do in terms of 'high' culture. We gave the nation Tom DeLay (but NOT Bush, that [censored] carpetbagger.) Most would not enjoy our climate. Those of you with allergies are in for a treat.

TheMetetron
10-20-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people are retarded.

Chalk me up for another of the obvious answer.... American.

I love the people who claim their nationality is 50% Irish / 25% Dutch / 12.5% French / 12.5% Italian. That's got to be one effed up passport. Again, people are retards.

phage
10-20-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the people who claim their nationality is 50% Irish / 25% Dutch / 12.5% French / 12.5% Italian. That's got to be one effed up passport. Again, people are retards.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say that of the times I am asked my nationality the question is almost always followed with..."but what are you really?" People want to get some sort of handle you your background beyond your place of birth/your citizenship.

Fratony
10-20-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say that of the times I am asked my nationality the question is almost always followed with..."but what are you really?" People want to get some sort of handle you your background beyond your place of birth/your citizenship.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed...if someone in the states asks your nationality they are really looking for ethnicity. I am American by nationality and Italian/german (50-50) as far as ethinicity. I've seen some good posts already on good-to-bad's on americans. The only thing i would like to add that italians are known to be very sexual and good in bed, it's gotten me laid at least once, but other than that i got nothin, except that i'm labeled as the greasy italian down here in the south by my friends.

Jorge10
10-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Geez im the first Mexican thats depressing. The lawns dont cut themselves people theres more than 1 mexican. Im 100% mexican.

Good: Food is the best on the planet, women are hot, we can apparently do any form of labor more efficiently than anyone else.

Bad: All are hardcore catholics, therefore our beliefs are like 150 years behind the times. Having 6 kids aint good now a days, but we will never get it. All mexicans I know drink(except myself), this is a stereotype that is mostly associated with Irish people, but the reality is Mexicans drink much more. They just wait till after work to get wasted and im talking cant walk wasted.

Also I dont consider myself mexican, more like American as I live here and probably know how to write better in English than Spanish. When it comes to speaking the language I speak spanish very well, it matches my english, just my spanish grammar is probably terrible.

tom441lbk
10-20-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

texas &gt;

Never ask a man where he's from;

if he's from Texas, he WILL tell you.

If not, there's no need to embarrass him

Aloysius
10-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Korean-American

East Coast-
Good: Smart, hard-working, frugal, goes to med school / law school, stable, frank
Bad: Goes to med school / law school (too risk-averse), cheap, Christian, blunt / rude

West Coast-
Good: Hotties (by Asians, considered best looking women of different Asian flavors), smart, great food
Bad: Flashy / Superficial, flaky, only hang out with other Koreans, FOBby, Christian, stupidly modified cars

valenzuela
10-20-2005, 08:39 PM
I think my answer will be original enough to be worth posting.

Im chilean.
Good: We have lots of villainy and slyness, our women are the most attractive, our women are the bravest( many of them have to raise kids on their own, they do with a lot of effort,we men really are a bunch of pussies) and we know how to have fun without having material stuff.
Bad: We are not assertive enough, we are mediocre, we care way too much about other ppl lives and we want to be way too much like higher social classes.

Arnfinn Madsen
10-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Norwegian

Good:
-Culture has become very tolerant and open-minded.
-Good image in many countries makes traveling nice since it easy to be accepted by the local population and thus you experience more.
-Well functioning government: Economic security, no need to worry too much of unemployment or sickness, low crime, good public services etc..

Bad:
-Very expensive and difficult to get anybody to do any good piece of work without paying tons.
-Cities are not continental (except Bergen and Oslo), not many really nice places to hang around.
-Lack of interesting food.
-Cold.
-Unfeminine women.

nothumb
10-20-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm an Irish-American Quaker from the Southeast US. Irish American enough to say so given I have living relatives who emigrated and also who are still there. Planning a visit soon.

The Quaker thing is the odd part, mostly my Catholic family was disappointed in my hippie mother for that, in some ways being a Quaker is more important than any nationality. I guess I'm sort of a lapsed Quaker at this point but at one point I had a major leadership role in the national Quaker youth movement... used to teach Sunday school too, believe it or not. Most of the kids knew the bible better than I did.

The Southern bit mostly shows through in my demeanor and manners. I'm pretty old-fashioned in some ways.

I guess the good things about my blend are a pretty flexible outlook on life, a sense of tradition and a relatively open mind... in terms of genetics it's hard for me to say but I am a very healthy guy despite my best efforts. Healthy insofar as I'm pretty tough to kill anyway.

Downsides are that I did end up liking to drink a good bit, I can be a bit depressive at times, but overall not a whole lot to complain about.

NT

Aytumious
10-20-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are answering with their ethnic heritage, others their nationality. Since the overwhelming majority here are Americans, it's understandable that the topic would shift toward a discussion of ethnic background, even though the topic is technically about nationality.

Even a retard should be able to realize that.

DrNo888
10-20-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Korean-American

East Coast-
Good: Smart, hard-working, frugal, goes to med school / law school, stable, frank
Bad: Goes to med school / law school (too risk-averse), cheap, Christian, blunt / rude

West Coast-
Good: Hotties (by Asians, considered best looking women of different Asian flavors), smart, great food
Bad: Flashy / Superficial, flaky, only hang out with other Koreans, FOBby, Christian, stupidly modified cars

[/ QUOTE ]

FOBby?
WTF?!!

Koreans didnt come over on boats like Vietnamese.

ddubois
10-21-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad: our polical system

[/ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a "good" political system?

(Er, wait.... Is 'polical' is a typo for political, or for policial?)

tonypaladino
10-21-2005, 12:50 AM
An individual American's culture is more defined by locality and ethnicity than nationality, so i will answer for all 3.

Amercian:
Good: Strong states' rights allow for different government systems and laws to exist in one country.
Bad: Strong states' rights allow for different government systems and lays to exist in one country.

New Yorker:
Good: Wide variety of cultures, liberal laws (except gambing and drug laws), Better food quality and variety than almost anywhere else in the country.
Bad: Wide variety of cultures, arcane drug and gambling laws, bad air quality, poor governemnt run sanitation and road mantaniance compared to rest of US and the world.

Of Italian Decent:
Good: Best food, best lovers, "mobster" image, close family units.
Bad: the best ingredients in our cusine, olive oil and wine, are trumped by spain and france, respectivily.

diebitter
10-21-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Of Italian Decent:
Bad: the best things about our cusine, olive oil and wine, are trumped by spain and france, respectivily.

[/ QUOTE ]
No way. Italian cuisine bows to no other.

10-21-2005, 01:05 AM
die, do you ever go to bed? It's 6 a.m. over there, right?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

diebitter
10-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Of course (when I'm not pacing restlessly)!

I sometimes get bouts of insomnia, though, and amuse myself with the game that cannot be spoken and posting OOTiocy, and then I'm sure I come across as the Eye that Never Sleeps. But I'm sleeping fine at the mo.

FYI, I just got up, going for a run. And yep, 6am here.

ChipWrecked
10-21-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most would not enjoy our climate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like San Antonio, but I always wonder how a city with such extreme heat and humidity can also sport such a large number of gross fatties. They must simmer in their own gravy 9 months a year.

tonypaladino
10-21-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Of Italian Decent:
Bad: the best things about our cusine, olive oil and wine, are trumped by spain and france, respectivily.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To cliarify, I meant the best ingredients in our cusines. I edited the post. Spanish olive oil is far better than italian oil, and french wine is better than itialian

imported_anacardo
10-21-2005, 01:25 AM
Air conditioned Expeditions, m'man. Add that to a gallon-sized thermos fulla soda, kept that way 'round the clock, and you've got yourself some serious poundage.

diebitter
10-21-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Of Italian Decent:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To cliarify, I meant the best ingredients in our cusines. I edited the post. Spanish olive oil is far better than italian oil, and french wine is better than itialian

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, my bad. But having said that, you guys really know how to put it together sooo well!

TheRegulat0r
10-21-2005, 02:02 AM
I'm from Maine.

Good:

-Friendly, laid back people. Everyone lets everyone else in and out of traffic. I will go weeks without hearing a horn or seeing a middle finger on the roads, and when I do, there's a good chance the car has a Massachusettes plate.

-Lobster. The best lobster in the world comes in off the boats 5 minutes from my house.

-Scenery. I live in "the city" (Portland) but I can go 30 minutes up the coast or an hour into the woods and enjoy some really spectacular parks and wilderness.

Bad:

-Any time I tell someone I'm from Maine, I get questions like "so in an average day how many moose do you see?"

-We only have 4 electoral votes.

-French Canadians swarm our beaches in the summer. Good for the local economy, bad for those of us who don't really care for old men in speedos.

duma
10-21-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am french (both my parents were born in Italy though).

Good: our history, we can cook, kiss and we have a cool accent.
Bad: our polical system, reputation to be rude.

[/ QUOTE ]
you forgot the B.O. and hairy pits.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Indian

[/ QUOTE ]

Good: You guys are smarter than most, especially when it comes to anything involving math.
Bad: You guys (often) speak with such strong accents it's impossible for most to understand your smartness.

Now, I'm not trying to be an ass. It just seems like many Indians I encounter seem to keep their super strong accent even after living in the States for ten or twenty years or more, whereas many other foreigners slowly get better at making themselves understood.
Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
most Indians i know are very book smart but they lack any kind of common sense.