PDA

View Full Version : playing AK and AQ

10-20-2005, 06:30 AM
Playing either 5/10 or 10/20. Overall a tight aggressive player (18/8/2.5) I seem to have a lot of difficulty playing big broadway cards in that when I don't hit the flop, I think I am losing too much with them and can't get off the hand. I always raise/reraise PF with AKs,AK, AQs and raise with AQ if limpers or first in. If I don't hit the flop, because I have usually been the aggressor, I tend to bet or raise flop. Most likely, either win here, or get HU. But now it is tough because I almost always feel I need to bet the turn, and if I get rereaised, feel weak tight if I fold, but I am most likely behind and not a huge pot to draw to. Would appreciate advice on how people play these cards.

WillMagic
10-20-2005, 06:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing either 5/10 or 10/20. Overall a tight aggressive player (18/8/2.5) I seem to have a lot of difficulty playing big broadway cards in that when I don't hit the flop, I think I am losing too much with them and can't get off the hand. I always raise/reraise PF with AKs,AK, AQs and raise with AQ if limpers or first in. If I don't hit the flop, because I have usually been the aggressor, I tend to bet or raise flop. Most likely, either win here, or get HU. But now it is tough because I almost always feel I need to bet the turn, and if I get rereaised, feel weak tight if I fold, but I am most likely behind and not a huge pot to draw to. Would appreciate advice on how people play these cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

No go. Give us a specific hand you played and we'll tell you how we would have played it. But there isn't any one magic answer on how to play AK or AQ. If you want a basic strategy chart then go play blackjack.

Will

10-20-2005, 06:46 AM
Fair enough. PP 10/20 full game. I have AKo in the button. Fold to LP who limps, CO raises, I reraise, blinds fold. Flop is 2,6, T rainbow, so no flush draws. Limper checks, CO bets, I rereaise to isolate and because I have position. Limper folds, CO calls. Turn is 5 of the fourth suit so no flush draws possible now. CO checks. Here is where I have my dilemna. I can take a free card, but I think that advertises I have overcards, so I bet the turn. CO calls. River pairs the 6, so not particularly dangerous. CO checks, and again, I could check behind but then I figure I definitely loose as CO most likely paired the flop. But at this point there are 9BB in the pot, so it feels worth taking a stab at the pot with a river bet, CO calls and has AT, winning with the tens and sixes. Should I have given up after he called my flop raise.

WillMagic
10-20-2005, 06:52 AM
The river bet is clearly wrong. CO is calling with anything that beats you. Other than that you played the hand fine.

The reason you are betting the turn isn't really to fold out a better hand. It's to charge worse hands and prevent yourself from getting bluffed out.

BTW you should read the posting guidelines. They are stickied at the top of the board.

Will

10-20-2005, 06:59 AM
thanks, point taken

10-20-2005, 09:26 AM
How I play these hands is dictated by position. In EP with an unraised pots, I generally raise with these hands suited or unsuited. This obligates me to make a continuation bet on the flop. Generally speaking, I tend to give the hands up if I don't make a hand or nut draw on the turn. In MP and LP, I sometimes flat call with these hands. This does not obligate me to make aq continuation bet on the flop and disguises the strength of my hand.