PDA

View Full Version : Folding 2 a check raise on flop or turn w no reads?

10-20-2005, 05:17 AM
If I just sit down to a game, and I have no reads on the players, what's the right play when they check raise. I'm playing online poker right now, and I sat in 2 different games where they check raised me. One time I get AQ and lost to Aces and Fours, and I lost another hand w top pair w a good kicker. If I'm no or have absolutely no reads on the person, and they check raise... should I just throw it away most of the time because I'm beat? What's the probability I'm losing? I'm feeling people don't really check raise bluff, semi-bluff, or have a flush draw in low-limits? Should I just fold the hands w top pair on the river if I don't improve?

xorbie
10-20-2005, 05:25 AM
Fold on most boards that look like they hit you. I think not folding AA or KK ever isn't too terrible in many situations.

10-20-2005, 08:39 AM
There are certainly check raise bluffs in the low limits. I see this all the time when someone raises preflop and bets after the flop. However, the board is usually low in these cases. If there was an ace or a queen on the board and no other face cards, I might call the flop raise if it was small enough and see what he does on the turn. It also depends on the player. A lot of people will check raise you with top pair, some need a stronger hand, and some do it almost strictly on a steal.

Buz
10-20-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are certainly check raise bluffs in the low limits. I see this all the time when someone raises preflop and bets after the flop. However, the board is usually low in these cases.

[/ QUOTE ] You see LAGs check-raise bluff but against most solid players, a check-raise on fourth street means you have a hook in your lip and you're getting reeled in /images/graemlins/frown.gif. Best to have some pot odds if you're going to call this bet.

Skuzzy
10-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Check raised how much? The Check Min-raise (the recently named 'Donkraise') might be TPGK often enough that your overpair or TPTK is still good. Call and re-evaluate on the turn.

This thread is currently discussing and naming such plays /images/graemlins/wink.gif

DonkRaise thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3725073&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

Abbaddabba
10-20-2005, 11:15 AM
On the flop, it means very little. If someone smooth calls the flop and check/raises a blank turn, you're probably done if all you have is TPGK. If the pot is big, you still have to call down. If the pot is small, i fold (without a draw or reads to suggest that he'd make a semibluff like this).