PDA

View Full Version : hand discussion

dr_mabuse
06-04-2003, 04:34 AM
hi folks,

i am trying another hand discussion and i hope that i am placed in the correct forum and i will try to improve my format.
here is the hand from 3/6 LHE:
i am at a full table, in the small blind, and getting dealt A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
3rd player calls
the player on the button raises and all between 3rd and button folded
i re-raised ( maybe questionable ? ), 3rd player called and the button player 4-bet us both of us called.
small summary 3 players in with 4-bets each.
at this stage i was thinking that the player on the button may have a huge pocket pair or AKs too, but i could not get rid of it after my initial re-raise and my hand was too strong.
the flop:
8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif , A /forums/images/icons/club.gif , 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
i thought a nice flop even though there was a very slim chance i was running into pocket aces, which will cost me some money here, but i decided that the chance was too small to be worried much.
i bet, 3rd player folds and the button raises again.
i re-raised again ( questionable ? ) and he 4-bet me, i called again.
the turn :
8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif
i was quite confident at this stage and already decided that i will pay huge money in case of pocket aces.
i bet, button called.
the river:
T /forums/images/icons/club.gif
i bet, he called.

i will present the outcome of the hand later.
what do you think of the play ?
what do you think the player on the button has ?
was my play to aggressive ?

thanks and bye
olaf

PokerPrince
06-04-2003, 04:44 AM
I like the way it was played all the way through. Great reraise preflop. Great bet-out on flop. Not sure what this guys capping standards are but I would probably think you're looking at another AK.

PokerPrince

asdf1234
06-04-2003, 04:54 AM
Well, starting with preflop. I like to limp in from the blinds with hands like these because I don't like to give my hand away plus you're out of position the rest of the way and it makes it easier to let go if the flop bombs. 3 betting certainly isn't a bad play though with only a couple of players.

On the flop, I might try for a checkraise to knock out the middle player, but he mucked anyway so it doesn't really matter. I try to mix it up between betting out and checkraising in situations such as this. Betting out is probably better in this case because even though you didn't put in the last bet before the flop, you haven't shown weakness b/c it was capped.

Certainly I cap on the flop with this.

The way I see it, there aren't a whole lot of preflop raising hands you're behind at this point. You beat all big pocket pairs except aces (which is statistically unlikely since you know where 2 are), and depending on the player, he's probably not capping with something like A8. I think betting out is correct, if you're raised again, I might consider slowing down a little bit. Clearly bet the river if he doesn't raise again.

As far as what he had...I would say either an overplayed KK or QQ or another ace.

I don't think your play was too aggressive at all. If you're beaten, your opponent played too timidly.

dr_mabuse
06-05-2003, 02:33 AM
i had some troubles believing it, but my opponent showed me:

K /forums/images/icons/club.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

at least i will remember him, he is marked now.
thanks and bye
olaf

asdf1234
06-05-2003, 04:11 AM
I guess it makes some sense. He played the nut flush draw very aggressively (probably overaggressively) and must have put you on AA because he didn't raise the river.

dr_mabuse
06-05-2003, 04:14 AM
but 4-betting pre-flop with K7s is quite strange isnt it ?

asdf1234
06-05-2003, 04:26 AM
Sorry, I forgot that he capped before the flop with it. Yep, that's pretty maniacal. After the flop, however, he didn't play too badly, and I would have played the same as you in all likelihood.