PDA

View Full Version : so my professor threatened to throw me out of the class....

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 03:48 AM
So I went to my science lab today after sleeping through the lecture, and cutting both on Monday, as is my normal school attendance style.

The school's policy is that a professor is allowed to give you a WU grade (equivilent to an F) once you miss 4 classes, however, so far in 4 full years, and about 40 classes total, about 37 of which I cut more than 8-10 times in a semester, I have had only 5-6 professors threaten to drop me, and only 2 that I felt were serious enough that I dropped the class on my own.

I have apparently missed 8 lectures and 7 labs of the ecology class. The professor pulled me asside and said if I missed one more lab or lecture I would get the WU.

Now, assuming I pass all my classes, this is my last semester of college. I would like to pass. However, based on past performance over the last 5 years, it is highly unlikely I will not miss another class.

My options are as follows:

1. Continue my normal routine and hope the professor is bluffing.
2. Somehow attempt to go to every class - If you reccomend this, pleas explain how I can break a 5 year habbit.
3. Just drop it now myself and get a withdrawal instead of a WU, and take the class in the spring.
4. Same, but take the class in a 6 week summer session
5. Drop out of school.

Recommendations???

ChipWrecked
10-20-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Recommendations???

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit [censored] around, and either go to college or not.

Exitonly
10-20-2005, 03:51 AM
if this is the last semester of college, just suck it up and go. If you really don't think you could (which i would 100% uunderstand) then take it over the winterbreak, if offered, and if not, then next semester.

The classes over summer/winter breaks are way easier anyhow.

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if this is the last semester of college, just suck it up and go. If you really don't think you could (which i would 100% uunderstand) then take it over the winterbreak, if offered, and if not, then next semester.

The classes over summer/winter breaks are way easier anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]

My school got rid of winter break classes.
Summer is cool because it's only 6 weeks, but it's a lab class, so it's like 6 hours a day, 4 days a week.

CardSharpCook
10-20-2005, 03:57 AM
wow. Perfect attendence for 2 years of Culinary School. That includes getting up at 5:45 for a year, and one special week when class started at 3:00am. God bless Breakfast Cookery.

Point is, halfway through the semester for ONE class that meets THREE times a week, you are faced with the guantlet of having to attend the remaining what, 15 class sessions? And it probably meets at, what, 11am? And you don't think you can do this?

Ok, buddy. Have fun in the real world. I'm sure there are jobs that allow you to miss a day or two a week. I'm just not sure what any of those jobs are....

The Yugoslavian
10-20-2005, 04:02 AM
Change your location to Absolute Class.

Just go each time. Frankly it's quite silly to not go to your classes anyway. You're better off just checking books out at the library.

Maybe you can enlist the help of a friend or someone you know in each class. Someone who will remind you that you need to attend when it's starting up.

Yugoslav

mason55
10-20-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Ok, buddy. Have fun in the real world. I'm sure there are jobs that allow you to miss a day or two a week. I'm just not sure what any of those jobs are....

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to go off on OP in the next paragraph but my job actually allows me to do this. I usually only work 4 days a week and no one cares if I show up or not. I am a programmer for the DoD though. Govt jobs are the best.

To OP: You are a effing senior in college. This ish is expected from a frosh but Jesus. If you're not ready to take responsibility for you education at this point you wasted a lot of money over the last 4 years. I hope your parents didn't pay for your school. If so they got ripped off. You should have gotten a McDonald's application instead of a college application if this was going to be your attitude. Skipping a class or two is no big deal but if you're constantly getting threatened to get thrown out of classes you really shouldn't be in college.

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been in the real world bro. Until last month I had been working a full time supervisory job, frequenlty 40-60 hours a week, with a near perfect attendance record, WHILE attendinf 4 classes a semester. I could always motivate myself to go to work, because (a) I am getting paid (b) people depend on me there and (c) I enjoyed the work.

Working a job is not the equivilent of going to school in any way.

tinga81
10-20-2005, 04:29 AM
I did this throughout college, but I would miss the maximum days that were allowable by the teacher, if that teacher had a policy. If not, I was more than likely not there.

If you need this class to finish your degree, do it. If it's extra hours, then drop it. Get some of that money back that you put into those few hours of actual classtime. Otherwise suck it up, go to class, and enjoy the last part of the semester. You don't have to pay attention.

mason55
10-20-2005, 04:34 AM
Can someone please explain to me why you would pay $x thousand (> $30,000 in many cases) per year and skip all your classes and not learn anything?

What a effing waste of money.

10-20-2005, 04:39 AM
Momma and Pappa pay for the schoolin

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I pay for my own tuition. It's $2,000 a semester, at a City University.

mason55
10-20-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't talk back to me, woman.

edfurlong
10-20-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wow. Perfect attendence for 2 years of Culinary School. That includes getting up at 5:45 for a year, and one special week when class started at 3:00am. God bless Breakfast Cookery.

Point is, halfway through the semester for ONE class that meets THREE times a week, you are faced with the guantlet of having to attend the remaining what, 15 class sessions? And it probably meets at, what, 11am? And you don't think you can do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

CIA?

ChipWrecked
10-20-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Going to school should be considered more desireable than working a job, imo. Presumably you are now studying for personal development, as opposed to training for another job. Then I wonder why you cut classes. Your call, of course. But hell, if you don't want to go, then as Yugo said, just study texts. If you're just [censored] off, you're wasting a spot somebody else who is serious could use. Sooner you graduate the better.

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 04:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Going to school should be considered more desireable than working a job, imo. Presumably you are now studying for personal development, as opposed to training for another job. Then I wonder why you cut classes. Your call, of course. But hell, if you don't want to go, then as Yugo said, just study texts. If you're just [censored] off, you're wasting a spot somebody else who is serious could use. Sooner you graduate the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have long since taken all the classes that I would like to gain knowlege from and help my career. I am just finishing damned liberal arts requirements that I put of for 4 years so I can get my degree.

whiskeytown
10-20-2005, 04:52 AM
the "should I drop out of college" posts are starting to replace "should I turn pro" as the most irritating posts on the boards. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Third one this week.

It reminds me of that line in the the Jim Carrey movie Liar Liar, where a guy knocks over an ATM and then calls Jim, his Lawyer asking what he should do - Jim yells into the phone "STOP BREAKING THE LAW, [censored]"

anyone without the discipline to show up for an 11am class will never make it in the real world anyways....just quit college and play poker full time - you know that's what you want to ask but don't want to look stupid by doing.

In my defense I'm glad I didn't drink in college

RB

mason55
10-20-2005, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I have long since taken all the classes that I would like to gain knowlege from and help my career. I am just finishing damned liberal arts requirements that I put of for 4 years so I can get my degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have gone to a vocational school if this is your attitude.

irishpint
10-20-2005, 04:54 AM
you go to a fake school, you don't deserve to graduate.

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah my school is not real, I go to Capn Crunch U, I didn't even say what shcool I go to dipshit

CardSharpCook
10-20-2005, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CIA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah!!

Tony, that's awesome that you're working and paying for your own schooling. I meant no disrespect. Just trying to motivate you to complete your schooling. Even if all you get out of your college experience is a degree, it is still probably worth it. I hope you decide to stick it out.

brassnuts
10-20-2005, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain to me why you would pay $x thousand (> $30,000 in many cases) per year and skip all your classes and not learn anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all for a piece of paper. Very rarely is an actual education involved.

mason55
10-20-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You either went to a crappy school or you didn't put any effort into getting an education.

Unless you were a liberal arts major in which case I can't help you and you probably have Down's syndrome anyway.

brassnuts
10-20-2005, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You either went to a crappy school or you didn't put any effort into getting an education.

Unless you were a liberal arts major in which case I can't help you and you probably have Down's syndrome anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point when reading my comment did you get the idea that anything was actually pertaining to myself? I speak often in generalizations. And, I think what I said is generally true.

send_the_msg
10-20-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What a effing waste of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

theres a piece of paper at the end that says "you did it"

note to self: read whole thread

mason55
10-20-2005, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

At what point when reading my comment did you get the idea that anything was actually pertaining to myself? I speak often in generalizations. And, I think what I said is generally true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, sorry if I assumed you were talking about your own experiences. It was written like you were speaking from experience.

The only reason a person wouldn't get an education out of their college experience is because they chose not to. Even from the worst schools, anyone can take an academic education out of it if they choose to.

2+2 wannabe
10-20-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah my school is not real, I go to Capn Crunch U, I didn't even say what shcool I go to dipshit

[/ QUOTE ]

did you read The Breakfast Club?

w_alloy
10-20-2005, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only reason a person wouldn't get an education out of their college experience is because they chose not to. Even from the worst schools, anyone can take an academic education out of it if they choose to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing Tony's reasons for not attending class are similiar to mine.

I would have a 25% attendance rate if it was allowed because of the horribly slow pace of these classes. You only need to attend 25% to get the max out of most college classes. They are filled with pointless and repetitive activities, lectures which can be more efficiently replaced by reading, group discussions with people who have no clue what they are talking about, etc. Ya, it would be nice if you could read books, take appropriate tests, and be done with the whole thing, but this isnt the way college works.

I have had perfect attendance records in every job I have ever had, but the last 6 years of school (I'm a sophmore in college) I have about a 75% attendance rate.

RunDownHouse
10-20-2005, 09:31 AM
You're way off on a couple points, mason.

First, the statement "Its all for a piece of paper" is very, very true. A diploma is a signalling device to employers. I could go to the public library, study all the time, and become the second coming of Keynes, but without a degree the Fed won't even glance at my resume.

Second, you seem to equate attendance with education. There's a reason I always hated group projects in school: the others in my group were simpering idiots. Often, professors love to turn their classes into big group projects, and so it takes an entire semester to get through plate tectonics. No thanks, I'll learn it on my own and show up for the final.

Third, the OP said this was ecology. Ecology! If that didn't sound like a blow-off class needed to fill some requirement, you probably went to a Northeastern liberal arts school smaller than most high schools. Just because the OP doesn't want to waste his time listening to a lecture on why littering is bad doesn't mean he's neglecting his education as a whole.

samjjones
10-20-2005, 09:36 AM
This was the best part about going to state school. With 500 people in the class, nobody breaks your balls whether you go to class or not.

spamuell
10-20-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
group discussions with people who have no clue what they are talking about, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to a better university.

RunDownHouse
10-20-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
group discussions with people who have no clue what they are talking about, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I went to a top US school, and it was the same way much of the time. It certainly would have been that way in Ecology 100.

drewjustdrew
10-20-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I went to a top US school, and it was the same way much of the time. It certainly would have been that way in Ecology 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Batter up!

dcasper70
10-20-2005, 09:53 AM
I say you call his bluff and skip the remaining classes.

Then in 10 years you can look back and realize how big a dumbass you were....

arod15
10-20-2005, 09:58 AM
withdraw and take it again....

benza13
10-20-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also went to a pretty high ranked US Business school for undergrad and was amazed by the stupidity of my classmates at times when stuck doing group assignments (read: all the f'ing time). I have a friend going for his teaching degree right now and apparently they are telling all the teachers that coming up with a group assignment is better for students to learn than actually teaching them anything. This makes me want to kill people. Its meant to be at the high school level but college teachers seem to be following this theory as well.

If classes didn't have these damned group projects, or if they could be done mostly oustide of class, my attendance was closely linked with how often I needed to be there to receive a B+ or better in the class. Often this was 50% or less, even for classes in my major, so long as there was no attendance portion of the grade. I got a 3.6 for undergrad and I'm sure it could have been slightly higher if my attendance had been better and my social life worse, oh the humanity. As long as you can do well on the assignments, it shouldn't matter whether you attend as an undergrad, the goal is to have you learn your [censored], not be forced to go to some room all the time, isn't it. If the professor sucks at teaching, I'd much rather learn on my own.

To the OP, sounds like its time to start showing up, have a talk with the prof from your perspective, or bite the bullet and take the class again later.

drewjustdrew
10-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Maybe he should just read the class requirements before signing up.

As to group projects, I think they are mostly used by business schools because the theory goes that you will actually gain some teamwork and communication skills through actual experience vs. just being lectured to on the subject.

Something tells me you needed to do a better job selecting groups as an undergrad. I never had problems finding competent group members in my top US undergrad business school. Maybe the climate has changed in the last 10 years though???

Voltron87
10-20-2005, 10:50 AM
1. OP, welcome to the real world, sometimes you have to do stuff you dont like or doesn't make sense

2. everyone else- op has a point in that the class is likely BS. people are getting way too bent out of shape about him missing a class that isnt in his major which is likely at a slow pace and boring.

3. even at the best 10 schools there are really dumb kids and classes with crappy discussion. most college kids are really dumb,

4. that said, just go and do well.

Hamish McBagpipe
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/4677/untitled9yf.png

irishpint
10-20-2005, 11:23 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

Second, you seem to equate attendance with education.

[/ QUOTE ]

you talk about ecology being a waste of time, etc. but this is not the first class OP has nearly failed in/had to withdraw from. didn't he say something like it's his 7th? that's pathetic. and OP, i don't need to know where you go to say it's a fake school because any place that graduates someone like you is a joke.

forgot to mentiont that labs are different than classes. i'm a biology and chemistry major and if we miss more than 1 lab per class, per semester, it's an automatic F. Weird, huh? It's like, they force you to learn and not be a complete dumb [censored].

MrFeelNothin
10-20-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

you talk about ecology being a waste of time, etc. but this is not the first class OP has nearly failed in/had to withdraw from. didn't he say something like it's his 7th? that's pathetic. and OP, i don't need to know where you go to say it's a fake school because any place that graduates someone like you is a joke.

forgot to mentiont that labs are different than classes. i'm a biology and chemistry major and if we miss more than 1 lab per class, per semester, it's an automatic F. Weird, huh? It's like, they force you to learn and not be a complete dumb [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I've definitely received the drop threat more than 7 times, I would estimate my number to be about 10 out of 20 total classes enrolled in.

I'm still far from graduating, but when I do I will make sure to stop by your house and remind you that we both attended a "fake school" for $36K/year.

sfer
10-20-2005, 11:32 AM
I would remind him that your name is Tony Paladino and that you "know some people."

swede123
10-20-2005, 11:33 AM
You're on a sure path towards climbing your way up to middle management.

Swede

tdarko
10-20-2005, 11:34 AM
i will answer the question first, he warned you so i wouldn't call the bluff and i would choose option 2. as for breaking a 5 year habit its not tough you just get in your car/on your bike/on your feet and go to class and sit there.

for everyone who is bashing tony you need to know that attendance has nothing to do with what he learns in a class. i went to two large universities that had enough students in each class to where the teachers didn't require attendance and i was very liberal with attending class but this did not mean that i "wasted the money spent on college." i read the text on my own and more times than not did better than the rest of the class (probably b/c i didn't have a babbling teacher confusing me 3 days a week).

class was a waste of time for me, i got the same grades when i went as to when i didn't go. i understand that not everybody is like this.

peachy
10-20-2005, 11:35 AM
uummm im shocked he hasnt dropped ur ass already...its just now halfway through and uve missed this many....get ur [censored] together

u cant do this out in the real world...stop this BS now and get ur ass to class...no company is gonna keep u around nor is anyone else if u cant be expected to show up for stuff...its not THAT hard

Exitonly
10-20-2005, 11:56 AM
he's already said he doesnt do that at work, which i can relate to.

no one relies on him at his class, he's the only one that misses out.
he needs to show up at work to get paid.
etc etc

Clarkmeister
10-20-2005, 12:14 PM
The correct answer is "grow up and go to the rest of the classes." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

astroglide
10-20-2005, 12:21 PM
what would bill o'reilly do?

Bulldog
10-20-2005, 01:14 PM
How did this turn into a 40-reply thread? Here is the obvious and only answer:

Man up and go to class. If you say you can't break the habit, well, an employer will break it for you in a few months only with a lot more pain and unpaid bills, so suck it up and become a man.

Unabridged
10-20-2005, 02:54 PM
why do all you chumps have jobs? maybe you should wander out of OOT and improve your skills

10-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Don't worry dude. I used to cut classes in law school and still made straight B's.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would remind him that your name is Tony Paladino and that you "know some people."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly the best answer.

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Second, you seem to equate attendance with education.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a complete retard. 1st - My school is one of the top ranked public universities in the country and is the 2nd best business school in NY state.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee really? One should attend classes that are important to your major and career? I better learn some ecology fast so I can be the greates Human Resouce Manager ever.

cokehead
10-20-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry dude. I used to cut classes in law school and still made straight B's.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, the strict curve in law school is nice.

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. OP, welcome to the real world, sometimes you have to do stuff you dont like or doesn't make sense

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
u cant do this out in the real world...stop this BS now and get ur ass to class...no company is gonna keep u around nor is anyone else if u cant be expected to show up for stuff...its not THAT hard

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Man up and go to class. If you say you can't break the habit, well, an employer will break it for you in a few months only with a lot more pain and unpaid bills, so suck it up and become a man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, once again, I have worked full time during most of my college careeer. That is one of the reasons why I am in my 5th year.

I have more "real world" experience in the workforce and other areas than a great majority of people my age (22) have.

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The correct answer is "grow up and go to the rest of the classes." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. The questin is whether I am able to follow through with it properly

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i will answer the question first, he warned you so i wouldn't call the bluff and i would choose option 2. as for breaking a 5 year habit its not tough you just get in your car/on your bike/on your feet and go to class and sit there.

for everyone who is bashing tony you need to know that attendance has nothing to do with what he learns in a class. i went to two large universities that had enough students in each class to where the teachers didn't require attendance and i was very liberal with attending class but this did not mean that i "wasted the money spent on college." i read the text on my own and more times than not did better than the rest of the class (probably b/c i didn't have a babbling teacher confusing me 3 days a week).

class was a waste of time for me, i got the same grades when i went as to when i didn't go. i understand that not everybody is like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! Finally, someone is making sense.

cokehead
10-20-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You're a complete retard. 1st - My school is one of the top ranked public universities in the country and is the 2nd best business school in NY state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you goto NYU? If so, you realize its not a public university right? I just can't think of whatever other school you could be talking about. NY public universities aren't exactly stellar.

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you goto NYU? If so, you realize its not a public university right? I just can't think of whatever other school you could be talking about. NY public universities aren't exactly stellar.

[/ QUOTE ]

CUNY Baruch College. #2 behind nyu for business

chesspain
10-20-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NY public universities aren't exactly stellar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that the SUNY university centers were all high rated schools.

tonypaladino
10-20-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NY public universities aren't exactly stellar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that the SUNY university centers were all high rated schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some are, as are some CUNYs, which my shcool is. A lot of SUNYs are party schools and a good number of CUNYs are retard schools

Jimbo
10-21-2005, 01:18 AM
Commit suicide and include in your note that this professor sent you over the edge. Perhaps he will feel guilty and give you a passing grade. Enjoy the pun.

Reef
10-21-2005, 01:50 AM
Have a person you really trust hold $X (needs to be an amount you care about) of your money the day before class. He/she gives it to you if you come, and keeps it if you don't.

10-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Go to class, it's not worth the extra time/money to do it later.

P.S. I really hate this whole "Go to school or you won't make it in the real world"/"Your school must be a joke" thing. School is not the real world. I recently graduated magna cum laude from a top/2nd tier liberal arts school with very erratic attendance/study habits. It's all about knowing what to do when. I once went a month without doing any homework/studying. I know I aced two of the classes that semester, can't remember the rest. On the other hand, I held the same job from the age of 15 to the age of 21 shortly before I graduated college.

Josh W
10-21-2005, 06:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, once again, I have worked full time during most of my college careeer. That is one of the reasons why I am in my 5th year.

I have more "real world" experience in the workforce and other areas than a great majority of people my age (22) have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, I'm confused.

Is "not showing up" a 5 year old habit or is it not?