PDA

View Full Version : rookie would appreciate tournament analysis

FarFrumChekin
06-04-2003, 03:54 AM
Hi,

New to no limit tournaments and holdem for that matter. Would like a review and would appreciate constructive criticism on play:

Situation: Pokerstars NL 18 player two table 5.50 buy in.

seat 3 nl 5.50 18
starting with 1500

Hand 1 - BB
94suited
9 seat raised 3BB and took pot preflop

Hand 2 -SB
KTo
flop open ended utg and checked
called 7BB heads up from a 2BB bet from EP
checked turn
called 140 on turn
folded river

Hand 3- OTB
KTo
called 20 when 5 players see flop
missed completely
folded

Hand 4 -LP
limped in six way action
flop comes KQ
check around
turn comes crap
check around
five seat big bet on river no callers when another blank hit
no callers

Hand 5 - LP
5To
fold
seat nine takes out seat 4

Hand 6 - MP
AJo
open medium of 3BB
one caller
King high flop
I check
he bets 4BB I fold

Hand 7 - MP
56o
fold
nine seat big raise on turn heads up with fullhouse and takes it down. (he seems to be getting hit with the deck at this point)

Hand 8 - EP
73 suited
fold
seat 1 takes it

Hand 9 UTG
K2o
fold
seat eight takes down a checked flop turn and river

Hand 10 - BB
Kh9s
utg raise for 3BB
two players from mp call
call 3bb raise (only 2 more BB)
flop Qh6h9d two hearts
bet 3bb
utg call
mp raise to 6bb
mp fold
I call
7c turned
I check
utg check
mp goes all in which puts me all in (same amount of chips)
call
he flopped a set of sixes and river was another 7
set of sixes fills up on river and i'm beat

please don't laugh but would like to hear about my mistakes.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-04-2003, 08:32 AM
You played way too many hands. KTo, especially, is a weak trap hand. Perhaps completing for 1/2 a bet from the sb is reasonable, but once there's a large bet thrown in on the flop and all you have is a draw, all you're doing is depleting your stack 4 out of 5 times. Plus, if the flop is K-x-x, you are very likely behind anyway. If you're new to Hold 'em, be advised that KT is the king of 2nd best and, as another poster has put it, K9 is the worst hand in hold 'em.

Hands 4 & 6 were the only ones you should have played, and with AJo if your preflop raise is called, odds are you're already behind unless you flop a J.

You'll see a lot of overly loose play in the early rounds of these tournies, when the blinds are tiny compared to stack size. In my mind, that's reason enough to play extra tight. Let the other guys mix it up for a while.

ohkanada
06-04-2003, 09:47 AM
2) Depending on how many players I sometimes lead with my open-ender.

3) I would fold KTo on the button even with 5 players.

4) Seems reasonable. Sometimes I might even bet on the flop/turn if checked to me but with 5 opponents it is a risky move.

6) Headsup I will often bet even if I missed.

10) Fold pre-flop. I don't like calling raises with K-medium type hands. Since many raising hands dominate K9, you are only asking for trouble. If he only doubled the blinds I likely call. On the flop I don't mind the bet into the raiser but once he raises I likely call but I am done with the hand unless the hand improves on the turn or it is checked through. I can't imagine why you would call an all-in raise with 2nd pair.

Ken Poklitar

FarFrumChekin
06-04-2003, 10:17 AM
i called all in with second pair, big four flush so i figured i could hit K, 9 or any heart.

ohkanada
06-04-2003, 10:21 AM
In your original post you say you had Kh 9s. The flop was Qh 6h 9d and the turn was 7c.

Where is the flush draw?

Ken Poklitar

FarFrumChekin
06-04-2003, 10:23 AM
oops typo,

i had Kh9h

Al_Capone_Junior
06-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Your post contains much unneeded info, like folding T5o. No-brainer, doesn't do much to mention it. Also, seat nine taking out seat 4 has no real usefulness for us to know.

Also, you must put in a lot of info that you didn't, like how many chips each player in a pot had, what the blinds were, how many left etc.

KTo, flopped open ender. Just calling all that $$ is pointless, especially if you're not going to make about five times as much on the end when you make your str8 and make a large bet/raise. Either make a move, or get out, but don't pay huge amounts to draw, not even knowing if you'll get the proper payoff if you hit. Besides, it's a tournament, you can't rebuy if you miss.

On the last hand, your mistake was calling a raise with K9o.

You've got some work to do to get proficient at this game.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
06-04-2003, 10:40 AM
"You'll see a lot of overly loose play in the early rounds of these tournies, when the blinds are tiny compared to stack size. In my mind, that's reason enough to play extra tight. Let the other guys mix it up for a while."

Basically, I agree. The only exception here is hands that have high implied odds, like small pairs. Of course you can't be calling big raises with them, but if you can limp for cheap, you might get lucky and break someone early. Later in the tourney, when the blinds are much bigger, you'll no longer be able to play small pairs or suited connectors. However, this concept can't be taken too far, no 84s etc.

al

pokerlover
06-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Hand 1 - BB
94suited
9 seat raised 3BB and took pot preflop

FOLD

Hand 2 -SB
KTo
flop open ended utg and checked
called 7BB heads up from a 2BB bet from EP
checked turn
called 140 on turn
folded river

FOLD after flop

Hand 3- OTB
KTo
called 20 when 5 players see flop
missed completely
folded

FOLD pre-flop

Hand 4 -LP
limped in six way action
flop comes KQ
check around
turn comes crap
check around
five seat big bet on river no callers when another blank hit
no callers

Depending on oppenents I may throw a bet on the turn after it is checked to me in LP. If not definately fold the river.

Hand 5 - LP
5To
fold
seat nine takes out seat 4

FOLD pre-flop

Hand 6 - MP
AJo
open medium of 3BB
one caller
King high flop
I check
he bets 4BB I fold

Bet the flop in if called or raised surrender

Hand 7 - MP
56o
fold
nine seat big raise on turn heads up with fullhouse and takes it down. (he seems to be getting hit with the deck at this point)

FOLD pre-flop

Hand 8 - EP
73 suited
fold
seat 1 takes it

FOLD pre-flop

Hand 9 UTG
K2o
fold
seat eight takes down a checked flop turn and river

FOLD pre-flop

Hand 10 - BB
Kh9s
utg raise for 3BB
two players from mp call
call 3bb raise (only 2 more BB)
flop Qh6h9d two hearts
bet 3bb
utg call
mp raise to 6bb
mp fold
I call
7c turned
I check
utg check
mp goes all in which puts me all in (same amount of chips)
call
he flopped a set of sixes and river was another 7
set of sixes fills up on river and i'm beat

FOLD pre-flop

The only hand that was playable were the 6's. K-10 and K-9 are not good hands especially in early and middle position.

Hope this helps and GL

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-04-2003, 11:22 AM
No argument here. I'll limp in mid-late position with small pairs and suited connectors, too. I just think that if you're going to err early on, err on the side of being too tight. You can reap rewards from the ultra-tight image when the blinds go up.